Tanning vs Dip/Pack

lincoxn

Reaction score
If this has been covered in the past, my apologize. in researching dip/pack services, I see some offer tanning services. Highveld Taxidermists in RSA touts their tanning as being top class. Is there upside/downside to having the tanning done there instead of dip/pack and then tanning here? Seems to make sense to me. Thx.

Talk to your state side taxidermist and see what he wants.

From what I have read on here US taxidermist don't like African tan jobs.

If this has been covered in the past, my apologize. in researching dip/pack services, I see some offer tanning services. Highveld Taxidermists in RSA touts their tanning as being top class. Is there upside/downside to having the tanning done there instead of dip/pack and then tanning here? Seems to make sense to me. Thx.
Their tanning they refer to is for things like rugs and flat skins. Zebra is often done there, much cheaper than most stateside tanneries. I have a few other skins done in South Africa and Namibia, all done well. If you're having mounted taxidermy done where you live your skins will be shipped to you salted and dry and the taxidermist will rehydrate and process them for the work to be done.

I would be careful about Africa tan for NA mounting. I do not think processes are the same. We use wet tan for mounts, cannot ship wet tan to NA. Dry tan for rugs, floor throws and such, I hade zebra and back skins dry tanned in Africa for rugs that were nice. Not sure about tanning for mounts. I only do D&P now, when shipment arrives I send to the tannery here that I know and trust. When wet hides are done and I receive repairs, and mount. Once many years ago I did have a bunch dry tanned in Africa and sent as cost was almost same as D&P, until I received the rubber hides and had to send to my tannery before mounting. Wasted $$.

What you receive is what you get from Africa, we just sent a lion back for a "redo" as there was no stretch in hide. Tannery redid and returned much better second time, free other than shipping. Cannot expect that service from ocean away tannery.

I also say ask your taxidermist what they want/prefer and specifically his experience with Africa tanning and his specific knowledge of your named African taxidermist. I cannot say about Highveld as I have not used them.

MB

I would ask your stateside taxidermist as well. Recently I’ve gotten some high quality tanning from Africa. Also some poor quality from here in the states as well as from overseas.

If you guy's don't mind me chiming in.. I'm planning to go on my first Africa hunt in 2025. Probably gonna do Euro Mounts and get the hides tanned. Looking to hunt Kudu, Antelope, Zebra and maybe Eland. What are the costs for getting the hides tanned?

If you guy's don't mind me chiming in.. I'm planning to go on my first Africa hunt in 2025. Probably gonna do Euro Mounts and get the hides tanned. Looking to hunt Kudu, Antelope, Zebra and maybe Eland. What are the costs for getting the hides tanned?

In my limited experience it is very inexpensive there. 100ish USD per hide.

In my limited experience it is very inexpensive there. 100ish USD per hide.
So they don't charge based on size of the hide? If not, I definitely think I'd get all the hides tanned.. Would love some shoulder mounts, but those can be quite pricey..

I’ve never been lucky enough to get $100 per skin but it’s considerably cheaper but same quality as USA. With zebra and springbok it’s been a flat fee regardless size. The last zebra I had done was $600 with felt. Labor is inexpensive in Africa and taxidermies there have a lot of help unlike in the USA. Their skill level for mounts can be debated though.

Last edited:
Are you tanning for taxidermy or tanning for flat skins? If tanning for flat skins or rugs I’d definitely have done there. It saves on tanning costs and also the need to pay a dip and pack fee. If you are thinking for taxidermy purposes I’d ask your taxidermist his opinion. I thought I saw you are from Europe? What is the quality of taxidermy available in your country for shoulder mounts? Might be a better option to have done in Africa as well depending on the taxidermy studio.

I would be very hesitant to even guess a quote price for 2026, it takes some time after hunt for trophies to get shipped to an African tannery or taxidermist, at least in my experience. So quote would be a way off guess for end 2025 or 2026. If you can find a tan for each piece at $100 you will be so lucky, D&P costs are that now. I have no glass ball for what's coming, recession or same continued crazy inflation.

I did just have my croc flat rug tanned in SA, $600 Cnd over there, quoted $1800 here with no guarantees as my Canadian tannery does not do many crocs or alligators, so I am taking a gamble and hope its good for a flat rug. Pics look great so fingers crossed.

MB

On my last safari I had one hide a red Hartebeest done there since everyone said it would be less expensive.
The rest of the four trophies were just dip and ship.
It took more than a year to get things back to the states.
It was all about the tanned skin they said there was an electric rationing going on so they could only work on it part of the time.
A long delay that I didn’t expect.
That might be something you want to think about.

You may want to consider having your skins/capes tanned in Africa. I had great luck with Kwiktan a few years back.

Talk to your state side taxidermist and see what he wants.

From what I have read on here US taxidermist don't like African tan jobs.
Exactly!!

I got quoted $1000 exclusive of permits/shipping for a buffalo cow skin. Is this about the going rate? It seemed very expensive to me so I didn’t go ahead with it.

I got quoted $1000 exclusive of permits/shipping for a buffalo cow skin. Is this about the going rate? It seemed very expensive to me so I didn’t go ahead with it.
Are you asking about tanning a flat skin?

Is the cow buffalo tanned or just salted? If just salted check on a price to get it tanned, this should reduce the weight some and may bring down the cost a little but the shipping is calculated by volumetric weight. Dimensions of the crate and weight put into a formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg