Talk me into Blaser R8

Are you noticing any deteriorating accuracy in the higher mileage 300wm barrel?
No. All I’ve done is keep the barrel (relatively) clean and I don’t shoot it hot. Less than 10 rounds a range session.

CAN'T SPEAK ON A R8 CAUSE WE STILL SHOOT A R93 THAT I BOUGHT WITH A BIT OF CHANGE MY GRANDPARENTS LEFT ME 20 YRS AGO. DIDN'T NEED THE MONEY AND FIGURED A REAL NICE BLASER COULD BE PASSED DOWN. HAVE BARRELS IN .243, 30-06, .358WSM AND .375H&H, THINK THAT WILL COVER MOST ANYTHING THAT WALKS.
BUY THE R8 AND YOU WILL BE PLEASED.

@meigsbucks The R8 can be done in a light configuration, with a light scope. A .270 Win with a 3x9 z3 should get you at 8.5 lbs or less. If you use the carbon bipod then you are still under 9 lbs. My Kimber mountain ascent “lightweight” 7 mag is over 9 lbs with a scope and bipod.

I’ll note that a truly lightweight rifle I find to be less accurate in practical shooting situations. A rifle at that 9 lb weight is really a sweet spot for any hunting. I think the folks at Blaser have that figured out at are aiming for the best practical weight.

I just bought a left-handed bolt so my lefty sister can shoot one of our R8’s in Namibia in June. $700 for the whole bolt assembly. Not cheap. But really good quality!

The Blaser QD scope mounts really do work. I have a thermal scope coming that I will be able to swap out in seconds.

@meigsbucks The R8 can be done in a light configuration, with a light scope. A .270 Win with a 3x9 z3 should get you at 8.5 lbs or less. If you use the carbon bipod then you are still under 9 lbs. My Kimber mountain ascent “lightweight” 7 mag is over 9 lbs with a scope and bipod.

I’ll note that a truly lightweight rifle I find to be less accurate in practical shooting situations. A rifle at that 9 lb weight is really a sweet spot for any hunting. I think the folks at Blaser have that figured out at are aiming for the best practical weight.

I just bought a left-handed bolt so my lefty sister can shoot one of our R8’s in Namibia in June. $700 for the whole bolt assembly. Not cheap. But really good quality!

The Blaser QD scope mounts really do work. I have a thermal scope coming that I will be able to swap out in seconds.
I agree that most standard barrel configurations come in sub 9#. It is just my preference for rifles in a majority of what would be considered deer / PG calibers be in the 7.5-8.5# range. Example: for me the perfect weight for a scoped .270 would be 7.5-8#. My R8 in .270 scales in at 8# 12oz, a weight I don’t consider unduly heavy, just not my preference.

Recently sold a Blaser R93 Pro and three barrels and some other rifles, deciding on a timber stocked R8 Success for most hunting. Super portable, shoots well and handles great, however I was kind of blah on the stock shape as I generally like a more tradition stock. Surprised at just how good the Success stock is though. I went with 30-06, 6.5x55 and 22-250 barrels with seperate Zeiss Victory HT optics per barrel in 2.5-10x50 or 3-12x56 and a H2 Aimpoint.
I think I will add a 9.3x62 and 22RF barrels to round my uses out.
Kept my R93 Makura Ulrich Takedown and Mauser M12 Expert both chambered for in 30-06, a CZ557 full stock in 6.5x55 and a Carl Gustaf 1900 Gr2 in 308w.
Must admit the cabinets sure do look empty but that R8 is a worthy replacement.

180A9597.jpg

Recently sold a Blaser R93 Pro and three barrels and some other rifles, deciding on a timber stocked R8 Success for most hunting. Super portable, shoots well and handles great, however I was kind of blah on the stock shape as I generally like a more tradition stock. Surprised at just how good the Success stock is though. I went with 30-06, 6.5x55 and 22-250 barrels with seperate Zeiss Victory HT optics per barrel in 2.5-10x50 or 3-12x56 and a H2 Aimpoint.
I think I will add a 9.3x62 and 22RF barrels to round my uses out.
Kept my R93 Makura Ulrich Takedown and Mauser M12 Expert both chambered for in 30-06, a CZ557 full stock in 6.5x55 and a Carl Gustaf 1900 Gr2 in 308w.
Must admit the cabinets sure do look empty but that R8 is a worthy replacement.

View attachment 600341
That is a very nice setup. Your cabinet may have fewer rifles now, but it has the one you’ll use most. Of my rifles, I haven’t hunted with anything other than the R8 in years.
I might be hunting right now… I have an espresso and an R8 with the .22lr barrel as I hope for a bothersome groundhog to appear in the backyard.

Your Blaser R8 thoughts in .375 H&H and .300 WM is what both my son and I are taking to South Africa in a couple of weeks. Have hunted with the R8 quite a bit for deer but in other calibers. I would not worry about extended life as I know several commercial ranges that have guns and barrels with well over 10,000 rounds through them that are still shooting well.

IMG_0183.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a R8 success with 300 WM and 375 barrels. Very cool gun, unbelievable engineering, and great ergonomics....and yes, I am a rifle snob as I generally shoot full custom stuff.

I may have a screw loose somewhere in my cranial cavity, but I have been kicking around the idea of buying another one with the standard stock and different barrels. Something like 7x57, 6.5 CM, etc., along with a rimfire setup.

I just really want to put the two stock designs to work and see with I really like.

I bought a R8 success with 300 WM and 375 barrels. Very cool gun, unbelievable engineering, and great ergonomics....and yes, I am a rifle snob as I generally shoot full custom stuff.

I may have a screw loose somewhere in my cranial cavity, but I have been kicking around the idea of buying another one with the standard stock and different barrels. Something like 7x57, 6.5 CM, etc., along with a rimfire setup.

I just really want to put the two stock designs to work and see with I really like.
The Blaser R8 Pro Success comes in wood or synthetic...which did you get? If you plan on trying a traditional stock I do know that the felt recoil is lower on the synthetic ones. They seem to flex a bit more in recoil and transmit more of a shove than a sharp hit to the shoulder.

Personally I prefer the synthetic for the utility, but I do appreciate the fine timber stock my wife has on her Intuition.

I went with synthetic. Love a nice wood stock, but for a lot of my hunting (especially elk, etc), synthetic just makes sense

I sold my R93 and picked up a Mauser M03 with very nice wood.
After a single hunting trip in thick thorn scrub and rocky ravines I bought a synthetic stock.
I now have two M03's. The rifle I show my buddies and the rifle I hunt with.

I sold my R93 and picked up a Mauser M03 with very nice wood.
After a single hunting trip in thick thorn scrub and rocky ravines I bought a synthetic stock.
I now have two M03's. The rifle I show my buddies and the rifle I hunt with.
I’ve considered a timber stock for my R8 but haven’t found a really good reason to replace the synthetic that I’m so comfortable with. If it was a gift…sure, but I’m not likely to pony up the money to buy one outright.

I love a nice piece of wood on a rifle but cannot remember my last wood stock rifle that I purchased, My R8s are all synthetic and I just lowered myself to purchasing a plastic stock Ruger American Ranch Gen 2 rifle yesterday in 5.56, I needed a short threaded barrel, scope rail already fitted, dedicated thermal rifle and this fit the bill. OK it's a low cost rifle but the plastic trigger guard is really moving a long way from wood and metal! Still it should do the job for short range night time coyote use and will take the abuse it will get without me worrying about my prize beautiful rifle.

Last edited:
So my trip to SA is getting pushed 12 months because of a ankle injury.

So this have given me time to think; I’ve always wanted a Blaser R8, by the time I sell a few I have in the safe it would easily achievable without the minister of war and finance even knowing!

I would be getting one in 300/300WSM and get a .375 Barrel and .223 Conversion kit , this would cover everything that I hunt here is Australia and where I want to go.

My main question is for the guys who have one already and have had it for a while, how do they stack up after years of use? Do they still operate like the day you got them? This may sound like a strange question but it’s coming from a wood and steel rifle guy.

Thanks,
Shifty
@Shiftt
Forget the plastic fantastic Barbie rifle mate.
Ro me they sound good in theory and are well engineered but you have to change barrels and swap out components to hunt.
You hunt with one calibre then decide to hunt something else with a smaller round so sit down and swap everything around. Doesn't make sense to me. Then here in Australia especially in NSW you then have to get EVERY new barrel registered. Is the big dollars you pay for an R8 hear in Australia really worth it .
Then you have to train your brain again to shoot a different bolt system from turn bolt to straight pull and some people have a bit of trouble adapting to it.
Ultimate choice is yours but after handling one I didn't like them. It was just to uncomfortable for me. The stock didn't fit me and I just could get used to the bolt but that's me.
I'll stick with taking two rifles hunting.
Bob

I have a blaser R8 silence that is client rifle that hunter rent when when hunting with me. Yes they put it through is paces that I can tell you.
But i have never had a problem and everybody has been very impressed. You wound make a mistake taking the R8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonteDacey

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.