Take Down Travel Case For Standard Bolt Action Rifle

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Have any of you had a travel case made for a rifle taken down in this manner? It seems for the one rifle battery, this would make a much handier way of taking a rifle aboard a plane, and to and from the airport. You could also have it made to hold an extra scope in QD mounts, so you could have something like a 1-5×20 set up for DG hunting. And something like a 3-9×40 for PG hunting. Would make a very handy, versatile package IMO.

20200710_194443.jpg

One problem that I have seen with removing the action and barrel from the stock is that when you reattach them your point of impact may change on a lot of rifles. Now if you have a stock that a aluminum bedding system and you carry a tool that you can set the torque of the screws with it may work.

But back to the case, all you would accomplish would to reduce the size of the cases length and perhaps increase the width. The weight would be close to the same, but it may be a little lighter

Somebody here on AH posted photos of just what you are talking about. Maybe a couple years ago.

One problem that I have seen with removing the action and barrel from the stock is that when you reattach them your point of impact may change on a lot of rifles. Now if you have a stock that a aluminum bedding system and you carry a tool that you can set the torque of the screws with it may work.

But back to the case, all you would accomplish would to reduce the size of the cases length and perhaps increase the width. The weight would be close to the same, but it may be a little lighter
You would go from a 58" case down to a 36" case. Most standard full size travel cases are wide enough to hold two rifles, so the width of the shorter case should be about the same. The case in the link above weighs 12lbs, vs the 21lbs that my full length case weighs. So with 10-12 lbs of rifle, scopes and accessories, you'd be around 22-24lbs for the total package vs 31-33lbs with the longer, heavier case.
As for losing zero when taking the rifle apart, I've done this before in cleaning a rifle, and for the most part it doesn't change it very much. At least nothing that a couple shots at the range won't fix. That's the first thing they ask you to do anyway before taking your rifle out hunting in Africa.

Last edited:
Pillar bedding is awesome. It will return to the same zero.
^^ Yes, a good pillar bedding job is the key for turning a regular bolt action rifle into a reliable "takedown" rifle for travel. A short but slightly wider case is very handy for carrying around airports, etc. I have done it this way since the mid 70's without issue.

This is a Pelican 1700. For air travel I remove the bolt and strap it down with velcro so it doesn't shift around. I also used some cut-out foam to make a "pressure" layer directly over the barreled action to also help keep it in place during rough handling. Keeping everything visible and easy to handle for inspectors reduces the possibility for them to haphazardly throw everything back in and causing problems.... like the parts shifting around and doing damage to each other during the rough handling they all are subject to by the airlines. I usually add a copy of the 4457 and my passport ID page- again for easy reference for the inspectors. This pic shows a "notice of inspection" courtesy slip left by a TSA agent. The shorter Pelican only has two pad lock holes and I use two identically keyed regular small locks and keep two sets of keys. I have never had an issue during inspections using this type set up.

I have never had an issue during inspections using this type set up. I tighten the action screws as per normal and shoot for load development, practice, sighting-in and for long term safe storage at home. If all is well and the rifle is accurate, I put a witness mark on the screw heads and bottom metal with a white or silver colored felt tip maker. I use hex heads and carry a small hex wrench in the case for assembly. I tighten the screws so the index marks match up when at destination. I have never had a change of impact during the 1-3 shot, customary confirmation of "zero" upon arrival. And have never had a change of POI after returning home.

Pelican case.JPG

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.04 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 94
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.06 AM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.38.08 AM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 81
A problem I see is it is too short for wheels to roll it. If you have to lug it, it could get heavy.

@fourfive8 I was just starting to learn to read in the mid 70’s

@Mekaniks is right, you need a rifle. Maybe a Classic period takedown custom for Africa.

I don't need any of this "encouragement"! I've already been perusing the Blaser R8 forums! :LOL:

I’m sure there will be some support for Blaser here too,

Always good discussions here but IMO this accomplished nothing and may cause accuracy issues. The main point being you are allowed 50lbs on the plane and I’ve always just recommended using all that space in packing.
I have thought this over and over just like @TOBY458 but I come back to the same conclusion and that is take the old reliable Pelican 2 gun case again!
AH is a great place to kick around all these ideas!
Philip

Always good discussions here but IMO this accomplished nothing and may cause accuracy issues. The main point being you are allowed 50lbs on the plane and I’ve always just recommended using all that space in packing.
I have thought this over and over just like @TOBY458 but I come back to the same conclusion and that is take the old reliable Pelican 2 gun case again!
AH is a great place to kick around all these ideas!
Philip
So you don't take your R8 down for travel? I figured that was one of the main draws for the R8. Being able to travel with a short, somewhat lighter package would seem ideal. It also wouldn't draw as much attention, as it looks less like a rifle case. I guess it's a good thing I have over a year to figure it out! Haha!

Before taking a rifle on an airline for the first time in 1976, I looked at readily available and inexpensive gun cases for travel. Budget was critical then because, I like most, were hunting beyond our means so had to make do or not do. Most full length cases were flimsy and didn't seem strong nor stiff enough. Some of the more expensive custom cases seemed to be much too heavy and bulky in addition to being too expensive- probably throw-back designs, better for steamer travel than air travel :) I had known of the common jokes made of airline baggage handlers before then. I deduced that a shorter package would be easier to handle and less likely to get bent, torqued than a longer one. I measured a barrel action and stock against an available-at-the-time shotgun take down case- it was a perfect fit so what the heck! That 1st trip was with a regular 270 Winchester M70. That rifle made it to Anchorage and Glenallen enroute to the Wrangells for a sheep hunt and back home without incident and demonstrated how easy and practical it was to do. That relatively cheap case with either a 270 bolt or 375 bolt rifle, taken down and fitted inside, made several such trips to Alaska and back before switching to the short Pelican 1700, which has made the Africa trip several times.

I've traveled with full-length cases and with a take-down case. In my opinion, the shorter length of the take-down is unequivocally better for a single rifle. Caveat: I do not like wheeled luggage- it always goes cattywompus when I walk too fast. I suspect that preference will change in the next 15 years or so.

When I traveled with my wife, we put both rifles in one full-length case. And my young son's rifle in a second case. Since I was the one carrying both, I think that was better than 3 shorter cases. My son is 18 now so he can carry his own. Last trip he chose to simply borrow a rifle. Not my preference, but in all honesty, that is clearly the easiest choice.

So you don't take your R8 down for travel? I figured that was one of the main draws for the R8. Being able to travel with a short, somewhat lighter package would seem ideal. It also wouldn't draw as much attention, as it looks less like a rifle case. I guess it's a good thing I have over a year to figure it out! Haha!

I’m curious about this as well. One of the benefits of an R8 or similar rifle is to take it apart to allow a variety of space saving options. It is a puzzle to figure out where you can put everything, those rifles pack down much better when taken apart.

As you aren't loading the case onto the plane not sure what the problem is....and even getting around with two full length cases never had a problem putting case on trolley then the two cases vertically in front of the case leaning back...then one hand holding them and other on trolley ...no probs

The Pelican 1700 comes with wheels, so you don't have to carry it.
Our last trip to Africa had both our rifles in a Pelican 1750...what a PITA.
Too long, too heavy and doesn't fit anywhere in a bakkie without sticking out.

We've now split them up into his and hers.
Bite the bullet and just get an R8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you