Tag Draws 2021

I didn't think things would get better after my best buddy drew mountain goat and my 10-year-old daughter got a home-state bull moose tag..the Nevada came out and I drew a late rifle tag near Ely in a great set of units. I had 13 points and am really fortunate to have drawn with that few points. It'll be a full fall for sure. Goat scouting in summer, hopefully helping my buddy tag out in Sept before the snows...then shifting to moose which will be a change of pace because it is more of a road hunt...then it'll be time to sit behind a spotter in the cold trying to glass up a big elk.

No bear, pronghorn tags. Still waiting on deer/elk. If I don't draw, I may have to go to Africa, depending on flight costs and/or Covid, or just go to the range and expend a bunch of Lotts and Rigbys until I cry uncle! Time will tell?

I didn't think things would get better after my best buddy drew mountain goat and my 10-year-old daughter got a home-state bull moose tag..the Nevada came out and I drew a late rifle tag near Ely in a great set of units. I had 13 points and am really fortunate to have drawn with that few points. It'll be a full fall for sure. Goat scouting in summer, hopefully helping my buddy tag out in Sept before the snows...then shifting to moose which will be a change of pace because it is more of a road hunt...then it'll be time to sit behind a spotter in the cold trying to glass up a big elk.
You are going to have a hell of fall!!! Be sure to share some pics!

I think it has exploded for 2 reasons. 1st being COVID and guys wanting to hunt. 2nd is that they are changing regulations and seasons, points are becoming more expensive and actually more worthless so guys are cashing out. I have heard some horror stories on point creep in Wyoming and Colorado.
I certainly agree . Covid got all of the non traveling hunters to go to different states for different game. I do think that the first few times these new to the area hunters get turned down a few years in a row , they will lose interest. I’ve spoken to many who have little to no idea about any of the point or draw systems in place, and think you buy a tag and go. There is a great deal of patience involved.

Something else to keep in mind is these winters are tough for the Western animals and populations / tag allocations can swing violently from year to year. This may play a part in addition to the Covid discussion
It definitely will be with Antelope in Wyoming! I think Colorado increased tags in some units but the change in seasons is what drove a lot of the creep.

Put in for three tags. Picked up points in deer and moose but drew a tag in area 007 and all that included for elk.
I am getting older and I have been trying for a ranch hunt(7 years) but since I haven’t got a tag since 2016 through all the points into an elk bow hunt in an area close to me.
Will send as many days as I have to get a bull this year.

I drew a whitetail tag for Kansas. Of my hunters 7 out of 9 got tags. For a while there we all drew tags every year but the is greater demand now.

I didn’t draw last year but was able to get a tag because they let people turn their tags back in because of covid. I was pumped to get the call asking if I wanted a tag.

I think I’ve got some Wyoming points. I need to stay on top of it so maybe I could hunt next year.

For the first time in 25 years that Colorado has had a draw for a deer tag I didn't draw any of my 3 choices.

Now I'll have to see what shows up on the secondary draw or hope that I find a tag that I like after someone turns one back in

Will have to wait and see what the deer draw holds. Put in for a mule deer tag with tough draw odds. My usual hunting unit also eliminated over the counter archery deer tags, which are now on a draw basis. Put in for that as second choice.

No joy for Arizona antelope this year. Have aplied in Wyoming and have a good chance at a tag there. Arizona application deadline is today, and I will probably draw for Coues deer here. Failing all the above, I will book a private land hunt in New Mexico this fall.

Planning on a 21 day hunt in Tanzania next September.

I spoke to my Wyoming elk guide this weekend and was informed of a few startling facts. They stated that in a general elk area, 90% drew a tag with 2+ points for 2019 and 2020. That number dropped to 20% for this year. The influx of hunters to the western states have exploded. They also told me that my 5 points may not be enough to draw on a regular tag and I may still need the more expensive special.

I used my points in 2019, if I have to wait 3-4 years and still buy a special draw tag, that is really going to suck. I have like 5 points for Moose, which I will never be able to catch up on.

I used my points in 2019, if I have to wait 3-4 years and still buy a special draw tag, that is really going to suck. I have like 5 points for Moose, which I will never be able to catch up on.
That could be a reality unfortunately. The flock of hunters has increased 200%.

I'm reading all the posts and am not sure how to react. Being from South Africa we don't have a tag or point system. I understand that in Usa you hunt on public land and the management of the animals are taken into consideration, but here wr simply go to any number of hunting farms (some small but most are huge) and hunt what the budget determines. We pay per animal hunted. I count myself fortunate in this regard as i have the privilege of hunting every year and any species (that falls into budget).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading all the posts and am not sure how to react. Being from South Africa we don't have a tag or point system. I understand that in Usa you hunt on public land and the management of the animals are taken into consideration, but here wr simply go to any number of hunting farms (some small but most are huge) and hunt what the budget determines. We pay per animal hunted. I count myself fortunate in this regard as i have the privilege of hunting every year and any species (that falls into budget).

There are also areas here in the US that you can go to a ranch/farm and hunt animals as far as your pocket book will take you. But when you pay what amounts to a 10 animal safari for just one animal here it gets fairly expensive real quick.

There are areas here in the US that you can hunt every year but in the western half of the US the demand for tags will never amount to the number of hunters who want them. But we can still go down to a store and purchase some tags over the counter. They may not be for the areas that we really want to hunt and those areas may not hold the size of animal that you really want to hunt but you are hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily the pricing here for locals are very affordable. I have read on numerous threads that the ranches that side are absurd when it comes to prices. Always interesting for me to learn about how hunting is done all over. One thing i noted from the wonderful world of YouTube hunting is that quite a few people in America use calling when hunting. That's a concept that is extremely foreign.
There are also areas here in the US that you can go to a ranch/farm and hunt animals as far as your pocket book will take you. But when you pay what amounts to a 10 animal safari for just one animal here it gets fairly expensive real quick.

There are areas here in the US that you can hunt every year but in the western half of the US the demand for tags will never amount to the number of hunters who want them. But we can still go down to a store and purchase some tags over the counter. They may not be for the areas that we really want to hunt and those areas may not hold the size of animal that you really want to hunt but you are hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!