Swift A Frame Results

@BeeMaa a good alternative for folks like you and me that don't reload (yet) is Hendershots. You can get 250, 270 and 300 gr Swift A-Frames and Hendershots can even give you loads with same POI. Swift currently only offers the 300 gr SAF in their ammo.

Hendershots: https://hendershots.net/product/375-hh-magnum-extreme-custom-ammo/

View attachment 261931
Thank you sir.
Been there several times as I live in Northern Virginia.
Had a few opportunities to speak with Lance and glean some information from his personal safari experience.
Not to mention the time spent drooling over the rifles both new and used.
Seems like I should have spent a little more time looking at the ammo available from them.

Have you used the 250gr or 270gr A-Frame from Hendershots on PG?

TOBY458 - Apologies for the hijack, it shouldn't take long but it is related to the A-Frame.

matt85 - I'm doing my first PG hunt this year and I do not reload.
My caliber is 375H&H and the Swift brand ammo in 300gr A-Frame shoots the best out of my rifle.
I've tried ammo from Norma (300gr Oryx), Barnes (300gr TSX FB) and Nosler (300gr Partition) with varying results.
On my list are mostly large antelope like eland, nayala and red hartebeest.
I've been told by my PH that most will be within 100 yards in thick brush, but 200 yard shots are not out of the question.
The only other ammo I have considered is Federal Hydoro (300gr Woodleigh / currently unavailable) and Norma PH (350gr WC).
In your opinion (I welcome all AH members for theirs as well) should I be looking for a lighter faster bullet or stick with what I have.
What species of PG you planning to hunt? I used 300gr Swifts on all my PG and nothing ran that far with a good hit. I'll admit they don't go down as fast as a deer or similar animal shot with a 7mm mag, but they rarely go over 50-100 yards after the hit. The main thing is to remember to aim a bit lower than you would on American game, so you hit the heart or lungs. The furthest anything ran on my hunt was a Zebra. I hit him slightly high in the chest at 225 Yards. So the bullet had slowed down considerably at that distance, and combined with the slightly high hit it made for a 300 yard tracking job. Plenty of blood, so no problem finding him though. All in all, I don't think the 300 grains are a bad PG bullet, but if Buff was not on the menue, you could definitely get by with lighter.

What species of PG you planning to hunt?All in all, I don't think the 300 grains are a bad PG bullet, but if Buff was not on the menue, you could definitely get by with lighter.
The PG list is long but eland, nayala and red hartebeest are at the top along with zebra.
No DG for sure on this trip, but this would be my DG rifle were I to go on a DG safari.
I like to keep it simple with just one range card per rifle, so it looks like I'll stick with the 300gr A-Frames.
With a 200 yard zero, it's +3" at 100 yards and -4.5" at 250 yards.
Beyond 250 yards I need better eyes or a more powerful scope for proper shot placement.
Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Thank you sir.
Been there several times as I live in Northern Virginia.
Had a few opportunities to speak with Lance and glean some information from his personal safari experience.
Not to mention the time spent drooling over the rifles both new and used.
Seems like I should have spent a little more time looking at the ammo available from them.

Have you used the 250gr or 270gr A-Frame from Hendershots on PG?

I have shot both 270 and 300 gr in my 375 Ruger and not much difference in POI. I used a 375 H&H with 300 gr SAF on Eland, two shots put it down, neither passed through.

I borrowed a .375 Ruger from my PH on my plains game trip last year to take my Eland, Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbuck. My PH hand loads his .375 Ruger with local South African made Frontier Spartan Bullets in 200gr weight. These bullets are a CNC turned copper bullet similar to the Barnes X. They performed perfectly on these three larger plains game mentioned above, all with one shot kills. I believe either of the lighter 250gr A-Frame or the 250gr Barnes TTSX would be plenty for any of the plains game up to Eland in any of the .375's if DG is not on your list. Remembering to place that first shot in the correct spot.

I have shot both 270 and 300 gr in my 375 Ruger and not much difference in POI. I used a 375 H&H with 300 gr SAF on Eland, two shots put it down, neither passed through.
I'm a fan of not passing through and the bullet giving all it's energy to the game.
On the other hand, I'm a fan of the blood trail left by an exit wound.
No free lunch and the best bet is a well placed first shot.
Next time I'm up at Hendershot's I'll grab a box of the 270gr SAF and see how they do at the range.
Appreciate it.

I shot kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeast and wildibeast with 300 gr a-frames. Only recovered 1 bullet from a wildibeast at 230ish yards. Only animal that ran past 20 yards was the kudu.

I shot kudu, gemsbok, red hartebeast and wildibeast with 300 gr a-frames. Only recovered 1 bullet from a wildibeast at 230ish yards. Only animal that ran past 20 yards was the kudu.
Just a guess, but all the other bullets passed through?
Having an exit wound the size of a quarter does help.
I'm practicing my ass off to get the results you did.
Well done sir.

Had equally great results. Federal Premium 300gr A-Frames in .375HH worked exceptionally well. They regulate VERY close to the Woodleigh Hydros offered by Federal Premium if you wish to use softs-solids-solids in your magazine rifle.

Had equally great results. Federal Premium 300gr A-Frames in .375HH worked exceptionally well. They regulate VERY close to the Woodleigh Hydros offered by Federal Premium if you wish to use softs-solids-solids in your magazine rifle.
Love to use the Federal Premium Woodleigh Hydros, but I can't find them in 375H&H.
If I do, I'll grab a box and see how they print vs the SAF.
What this is really coming down to is I need to start reloading.

A-Frames are great. I used them in 375 on buffalo and plains game on two safaris. I zeroed the rifle with 300 grain bullets and never changed. A few years ago, when my 270 was in the shop, I took a couple of Virginia whitetails with the same load. Obviously, they worked, and the 300 grain A-frames tore up considerably less meat than the 130 gr. power points I usually use in the 270. Not that I'm recommending a 375 for whitetails; even Elmer Keith wouldn't go that far.

A-Frames are great. I used them in 375 on buffalo and plains game on two safaris. I zeroed the rifle with 300 grain bullets and never changed. A few years ago, when my 270 was in the shop, I took a couple of Virginia whitetails with the same load. Obviously, they worked, and the 300 grain A-frames tore up considerably less meat than the 130 gr. power points I usually use in the 270. Not that I'm recommending a 375 for whitetails; even Elmer Keith wouldn't go that far.
I've mentioned this before, but I have a friend who uses a 375H&H for whitetail in Northern VA.
Says he's too old to be tracking deer anymore.

TOBY458 - Apologies for the hijack, it shouldn't take long but it is related to the A-Frame.

matt85 - I'm doing my first PG hunt this year and I do not reload.
My caliber is 375H&H and the Swift brand ammo in 300gr A-Frame shoots the best out of my rifle.
I've tried ammo from Norma (300gr Oryx), Barnes (300gr TSX FB) and Nosler (300gr Partition) with varying results.
On my list are mostly large antelope like eland, nayala and red hartebeest.
I've been told by my PH that most will be within 100 yards in thick brush, but 200 yard shots are not out of the question.
The only other ammo I have considered is Federal Hydoro (300gr Woodleigh / currently unavailable) and Norma PH (350gr WC).
In your opinion (I welcome all AH members for theirs as well) should I be looking for a lighter faster bullet or stick with what I have.

im sorry for the late reply.

if your hunting PG there is no reason to use a 300gr bullet, a lighter faster bullet will bring the animal down much faster. if you check out midway's website they have plenty of factory ammunition that uses 250-270 grain bullets from reputable manufacturers. Hornady offers two different 270gr loads and Noslar offers a 260gr partition. I see Hornady also offers a 250gr GMX which could be a great choice but they are out of stock at the moment. I would try one box of each of these and see which shoots the best.

-matt

im sorry for the late reply.

if your hunting PG there is no reason to use a 300gr bullet, a lighter faster bullet will bring the animal down much faster. if you check out midway's website they have plenty of factory ammunition that uses 250-270 grain bullets from reputable manufacturers. Hornady offers two different 270gr loads and Noslar offers a 260gr partition. I see Hornady also offers a 250gr GMX which could be a great choice but they are out of stock at the moment. I would try one box of each of these and see which shoots the best.

-matt
Thank you sir.
I think I'm gonna try some 270 SAF from Hendershot's and see how it goes from there.

Highest praise for A-frames on cape buff!!!

Looks like a good hunt and good bullets for sure!

I used a .375 H&H with 300 grain A-frames on several animals including Duiker and Oribi and while they were clearly not needed for the little guys they worked very well.

Here's the Swift A Frame 400 grain bullet used on my Cape Buffalo. Also a hand drawn picture of a Cape Buffalo done in pencil, by Rindi Odendal. She was the girlfriend of the safari operator we hunted with. She does beautiful artwork!
20190112_143820.jpg

Here's the Swift A Frame 400 grain bullet used on my Cape Buffalo. Also a hand drawn picture of a Cape Buffalo done in pencil, by Rindi Odendal. She was the girlfriend of the safari operator we hunted with. She does beautiful artwork!
View attachment 263300
Beautiful picture.
Guessing a 416 RM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg