Suppressors for heavy game rifles

in the States, look into Magna Porting. I know they have a good rapport with the Desert Eagle community, but the website suggests they can do anything. The idea, if I recall properly, is to drill small holes in the barrel giving the function of muzzle brake, but without the ugly that comes with it. Their science almost certainly will reduce some felt recoil as well.

I've had a couple of suppressors over the years and those made by Silencerco have impressed me the most. Couple things to consider-

-can't import them into US, so you'll have to buy from a US manufacturer
-i picked up my newest suppressor about a week ago- about 5 month wait time for tax stamp
-starting this summer, you will need to submit finger prints and a photo to put in for a tax stamp- even with a trust. Don't need to clear it through your CLEO anymore (so good and bad to the new rules)
-despite the wait, I highly recommend getting them for all the reasons already listed.

I just got my Silencerco Omega for my 7mm Rem Mag. Its awesome- and crazy light! This is critical to make sure you don't throw off the balance of your rifle too much. I was shooting it off my sticks no problem- point of impact about an inch low at 100 yds, but still sub moa.

If you go to http://www.silencershop.com/ they will list local vendors with the silencer that you want. Sometimes it pays off to contact those vendors directly. They may offer you a better deal than what they advertise on the website- my local guy did. (Also, by buying from a local guy, you cut down on the wait time. My first suppressor I ordered from TX, so it took about two months to get approved transfer from TX to AZ, then another 5 months for the tax stamp).

I understand for a lot of you guys state side this is new territory for us we've had them for years, and they are easy to get I currently stock around 6 brands and I'm small!

The thing you have to remember with moderators it's all trade offs.

Small light and quiet = won't last long.
Small light hard wearing = noisey
Hard wearing quiet = heavy

So they have to be selected for the job but we tended to run them here on most rifles 22lr what's the point of one with out a $20 moderator and subsonic ammo very quiet ideal rabbit lamping rifle.
Likewise fox rifles but they tend to cost more but a big heavy T8 from a pickup roof or side by side who cares
Lightweight hill rifle that's does fire many rounds can have the lightweight quiet moderator we dream of because it won't get much use.

I'll post some photos when I get home but for me my 375 is not get a moderator as it needs to be smooth and fast handing.

I understand for a lot of you guys state side this is new territory for us we've had them for years,

@DM Shooting maybe not new- although the vast majority of Americans do not have a good understanding of the rules/laws of the land and of individual states. We can only hope that at some point they will make it easier to acquire suppressors- I've never understood why the ATF feels the need to heavily restrict a product that is essentially a hearing safety device....

Also, I agree with your description of the weight-noise reduction-durability trade offs. You can never have everything!

A moderator is simple health and safety
I love through that back at licensing that I'm trying to protect people's hearing!!!

Here they are classed as a firearm but once you have a rifle agreed the moderator is easily justified and almost expected now.

I don't understand this world view of moderators being dangerous (all be it drop a T8 on your foot it hurts) it's not Hollywood quiet.

I am having my CZ550 .416 Rigby threaded once my new suppressor I recently purchased gets here. I see a lot of people bashing them when they’ve done nothing but positive for me and on top of the sound mitigation it also takes I feel more than 50% of the recoil felt regardless of caliber. I can shoot my .300 Win Mag and watch through the scope no different than I can if I wasn’t running suppressed on something smaller like my 5.56. Suppresser also do NOT slow down the bullet. In fact they pick the speed up by lengthening your barrel. If the proper suppressor is mounted I can assure you that you will be more than happy with it. Do yourself a favor and talk to a professional where you can try one before you purchase one. I don’t know that I’ve hardly seen a rifle outside of the double barrels that haven’t had a can on them in Africa.

I have avoided moderators on my DG rifles for one important reason - if I have to drop the scope - I have a problem - I do have one 375hh modded - as I use it for teaching and training - but as it will never see the "Green Hills of Africa" - it does not matter - maybe if I find the time will look at a military QD mount -

I read the posts above and am in the "no gimmicks" camp.
Less gimmicks=less to go wrong.

WRT muzzle rise? If the rifle can rotate around the shoulder joint/arm pit, guess where the muzzle goes? And the recoil? Yep, that too.
52608_600x400.jpg

Consider the curved metal butt plate a bearing surface that rotates around the upper arm or top of shoulder and the rising of the full octagon barrel absorbs the recoil. Thousands of rounds over the years and the ONLY time recoil was felt was the first couple of shots BEFORE I figured out the mechanics of the situation. Never any cuts or bruises. Even with African loads of 450 grain NF bullets at 2150 fps MV. FYI, they shoot through ele heads and Cape Buff, water buff, bison etc.
My hearing protection is the 26 inch full octagon barrel and recoil protection as just explained.

I agree that the less gimmicks on the rifle, the better the rifle for combat with unfriendly game.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the calibre - prefer where possible that my PH can retain hearing for the next season -why I dont permit Muzzle brakes or indeed unsuppressed plains game rifles -

I read the posts above and am in the "no gimmicks" camp.
Less gimmicks=less to go wrong.

WRT muzzle rise? If the rifle can rotate around the shoulder joint/arm pit, guess where the muzzle goes? And the recoil? Yep, that too.
View attachment 460847
Consider the curved metal butt plate a bearing surface that rotates around the upper arm or top of shoulder and the rising of the full octagon barrel absorbs the recoil. Thousands of rounds over the years and the ONLY time recoil was felt was the first couple of shots BEFORE I figured out the mechanics of the situation. Never any cuts or bruises. Even with African loads of 450 grain NF bullets at 2150 fps MV. FYI, they shoot through ele heads and Cape Buff, water buff, bison etc.
My hearing protection is the 26 inch full octagon barrel and recoil protection as just explained.

I agree that the less gimmicks on the rifle, the better the rifle for combat with unfriendly game.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Miroku/Winchester 1886 is a .45-90,(.458 2.4) meaning that it can shoot 45-70 through 45-90 ammo.
The capacity of the case is 89.68 grains of water (96 % of the .458 Win Mag. capacity) .
With modern bullets and powders, it can reach velocities once at the top of .458 Win Mag velocities.
However I have kept 450 grain bullet velocities down at 2150 fps, which is all that has been needed for ele , water buff and Cape Buff.

As you can see, the only gimmick on the rifle is the folding barrel sight and the folding tang sight.
On large game such as bison , the barrel sight is good out to 100 yards, but on smaller targets, such as Leopard, the tang sight provides increased accuracy. Also true for game beyond 100 yards.

Nice I just take the 470NE as simple - two triggers 2x 470NE - as don't trust mechanical in a tight spot prefer redundency!

My .458 DR is a 45-90 shooting the same ammo as the 1886.

Beretta .45-70 DR upgraded to 45-90. QD mounted scope and express sights adjusted to load of NF 350 SS at 2200-2300 fps. 26 inch barrels, same length as 1886. Plus custom wood.

Attachments

• 66768_600x400.jpg
    66768_600x400.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 68569_600x400.jpg
    68569_600x400.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross