Starting my 98 build

It was the GS who did mine Shawn as he had done a number of them before, but he said that all he did was to reshape the lower edge and sides of the ramp a little. In essence what he said was that the base of the ramp had a shallow hollow on each side to help guide the bullet nose in toward the center and up the ramp.

IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0726.JPG
Worked on action today mag box tacked on back of box milled and feed ramp ground to front of feed box got some cases made a false bullet and seated it to pal 3.53 to make sure box was long enough. Also threaded a barrel stub with a hole drilled through to make a chamber to test feed. Will cut bolt face tomorrow or Monday.
So far so good
Shawn

Well I got extracter claw finished and was working on feeding the left side gave me a little trouble but a little grinding fixed that then with my new found experience I decided to tweak the right side. My mistake now I'll have to replace some metal I removed no big deal just a little inconvenience and I need to rework the elongated hole in ejector to get it to come out further. This is a good learning experience so far.
Shawn

Ran into two problems last night that have me stumped.
First is that when feeding the rounds out of the magazine they are feeding great now except the last one out will not push up in the rear all the time it stays down just enough that the bolt rides over it instead of catching it. I thought maybe I needed to grind a little off the follower on the angle that runs its length to allow for larger diameter cases but wanted another opinion.
Second issue is extracter claw seams to have a lot of ware and play on the guide that rides in the slot behind locking lug it can be pushed forward about .015-.02 letting it grip get loose on case rim the two other Mauser actions I have don't seem to have this play any ideas?
Shawn

Now to save for barrel thinking 26"
Not sure on contour anyone tell me what diameter at the muzzle would be appropriate. I don't want it to thin but not a bull barrel either.

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated on the build Shawn.

Now to save for barrel thinking 26"
Not sure on contour anyone tell me what diameter at the muzzle would be appropriate. I don't want it to thin but not a bull barrel either.
26" is pretty long... i just spoke to a gunsmith in rsa about bringing my 416 barrel down to 22".
i would say 22-23" would be great.
Barrel profile and weight is something thats personal.
I prefer a lighter rifle. so i would go with a thinner profile and lighter stock.
best thing here is to head to a gunshop and feel what you prefer.

I have always wanted a long barreled rifle and at 6'4" tall 3 " of barrel is not going to make it drag the ground. My favorite gun has a 42" barrel 15/16"wide with no taper it's a .54 caliber flintlock.
Shawn

I have always wanted a long barreled rifle and at 6'4" tall 3 " of barrel is not going to make it drag the ground. My favorite gun has a 42" barrel 15/16"wide with no taper it's a .54 caliber flintlock.
Shawn
my comment on this is that the barrel length in my opinion is more related to balance and feel.
in my case a 416 is going to be carried often, not on a sling and therefore weight and point-ability takes preference.
if you feel comfortable with a 26" barrel, then that'll do you just fine.

The recoil of the 404 Jeffery with 400gn bullet at 2300fps is not that great Shawn but the stock shape can make it mean if it is not right. I did mine with 25 in barrel but the balance was right so it held right for offhand shooting and with good loads was a easy rifle to shoot even though I am "somewhat" shorter than you.

At 6'-4" I imagine that you need a longer stock i.e. a l.o.p. over 14". A properly contoured 26" barrel should make the rifle balance nicely. The rifle I carried in Africa sports a 25" barrel and I'm 5'-10 & 1 /2".

Has anyone used PAC-Nor barrels

A lot of people on AH are using them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.