huntinlabs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
My wife and I went on our very first safari this year in April. We spent 7 days with pawprint safaris and then 7 days in Natal with a very good friend that is a PH over there@Boela. My taxidermist sent me some pictures this morning and it got the excitement going all over again. He said I would have them by Christmas which I didnt believe. But it looks like he may prove me wrong! I will post pictures as I get them. He fit the horns on my impala my wifes impala and her blesbuck as well as started the mold on her kudu. He said skins will go on impalas and blesbuck tomorrow horns on kudu next week. If I am happy with how the horns look on it the skin will go on then he will start my nyala springbuck and my giraffe.
IMG-20180720-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20180720-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20180720-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20180720-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20180720-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180720-WA0010.jpg

Very Cool! Who is the taxidermist?

Very Cool! Who is the taxidermist?
Its Pieters guy Jan Ells, the shop is called Africa Alive. I was nervous about getting the mounts done in South Africa but unfortunately a giraffe cost more than another safari alone so I and done a lot of research and seen his stuff in person and liked it. So far the communication has been excellent. He said he still has a lot of work left on the Kudu to get it how my wife wants it. So far he said he has cut it into 4 pieces basically to put it back to get the turns and angles she wants. He matched the Impalas and blesbuck perfect to the pictures we sent him as a reference on how we wanted them.

We will hang the impalas side by side with something in the middle of them.. although my wife is way more excited about this. (her impala is on the left) when we got the pictures she said wow you can really see the size difference now.. lol after about 30 seconds she said but yours has so much more mass mine just has the length in a failed attempt to cover up her rubbing in that hers is bigger.

Good luck with everything, hope it all turns out great! Keep us posted.

Huntinlabs, you both took some very fine trophies! I’ll be watching this closely because Jan has my stuff as well. I have some very different ways I’m having some mounted as well. I drew sketches of just how I need them so they can fit in my little space.
It’s starting to look like my hunts soon will only be trophy photos. Or I’ll have to stop hunting a while to pay for an addition(n)!
By the way, nice new avatar! I’m jealous!

Huntinlabs, you both took some very fine trophies! I’ll be watching this closely because Jan has my stuff as well. I have some very different ways I’m having some mounted as well. I drew sketches of just how I need them so they can fit in my little space.
It’s starting to look like my hunts soon will only be trophy photos. Or I’ll have to stop hunting a while to pay for an addition(n)!
By the way, nice new avatar! I’m jealous!

Thank you, our next one i am taking the kids to shoot a cull or two the wife and I only want one trophy a piece but will remain open for the big kudu or warthog so it will be just pictures for us and maybe some euro mounts on the kids stuff. I didn't want to change the avatar from my son and the moose but this is better fitting and the wife said I never use a picture with both of us in it lol. Getting these done already make me nervous since the military movers never seem to care about taxidermy work. Im going to send you a pm

We will hang the impalas side by side with something in the middle of them.. although my wife is way more excited about this. (her impala is on the left) when we got the pictures she said wow you can really see the size difference now.. lol after about 30 seconds she said but yours has so much more mass mine just has the length in a failed attempt to cover up her rubbing in that hers is bigger.
i like your wife.

i like your wife.
I do to most of the time lol. I am happy for her though. It has been only me hunting for a while since we have 2 young kids, but they are getting to the age where overnighters and things will be ok so hopefully she can get out more.. We are going to try for caribou on Aug 12th and my main goal is for her to get one decent enough to mount since I got one for a great rug last year in the winter hunt.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this.
Looking good! I like the way you decided to turn the heads.
That black Wildebeest looks like he was a bruiser with those big bosses.

As I had mentioned I also really like the defined spots on your kudu. Mine, though nice horns isn’t as defined nor handsome in the face as yours.

Wow, very nice. Congrats. I'm sure you can't wait to have them displayed at home. Thanks for sharing with us.

Well yesterday he got the skins on the wildebeest. Now all that's left is nyala springbuck and giraffe. I wonder which one he will start.

IMG-20180730-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20180730-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20180730-WA0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the wildebeest going on a pedestal? If so, any idea what it will look like?
Looking good! Great idea having wildebeests on the same mount!

Are the wildebeest going on a pedestal? If so, any idea what it will look like?
Looking good! Great idea having wildebeests on the same mount!

Yes they will be on a pedestal. As far as looks we are still working that out but there will be vegetation.

BEAUTIFUL trophies .. WELL DONE!!!
So happy when it all comes together and everyone is happy!!!

Got some more pictures today. Looks like the kudu 2 impalas and blesbuck are done. The wildebeest you can see in th background and they look to be dry as well? Maybe some more pictures will come tomorrow. He still has my nyala and giraffe mounts then my zebra rug.

IMG-20180917-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180917-WA0006.jpg
20180917_124843.jpg

Some fine looking trophies! You and your wife got some excellent animals!

Yes sir looking good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg