SOUTH AFRICA: My Turn! Eastern Cape With Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA

Forgot the most important thing. I got hung up in my excitement for the upcoming trip. Magnificent specimens you both took outstanding animals. Keep it up. Tell Ben I said hi and remind him to keep the green water handy.

Day 4
Hunt day 2

Not all days can be like the first day.

We woke up to cold windy conditions. We headed to an area we hadn't hunted before. As we got to the top it was cold, windy, and there was sporadic precipitation. Less than ideal conditions for chasing Kudu. Our goal at the moment is to get my hunting partner his Kudu. Kudu has our full attention and will continue to do so until we have checked that off the list. Easier said than done with free ranging kudu.

We saw quite a few animals in the morning but nothing we could feel good about going after. They weren't really moving too much and it just wasn't working out.

We headed in for an early meal hoping the weather would cooperate for us in the afternoon.

After a hot shower I was laying in bed playing catch up by smashing down the keys of my laptop. Shortly there after the rain started, decent rain too. The sound of it hitting the corrugated roof with the smell of fire from the inside almost had me thinking I was camping. It was great however it was too therapeutic and I couldn't resist the urge to sleep. I slept too long and getting to bed this evening will be a challenge. Pro tip, set an alarm anytime you stop especially while fighting jet lag.

In the afternoon we headed back up to the same spot. We saw so many kudu. We watched one bull come in from over a mile with pinpoint accuracy to a group of cows. What a fun show to watch how this bull was able to find this herd. They are so rutty at the moment.

We located a shooter bull but it was too far, we had to get closer. In order to do so we had to drop off the top of the ridge. It was steep, slippery, and full of vegetation that outmatched my thinner hunting pants. The mountain side felt like grass was over growing on solid rock, there was no give in the ground like there is on mountain sides in the Rockies. In the Rockies you can usually hike steep terrain and don't have to navigate too much vegetation. When you're stalking elk in the deep north facing pines there are decades of pine needles and rich black soil that is easy for the boots to grab. This hiking was tough. We got into position but in doing so we pushed a mob of baboons out of their rock ledges. Those damn things wouldn't shut up for over an hour. I'm ready to just go baboon hunting, I'm really starting to hate them.

The shooter bull never came in range and we didn't have the time to push the issue. Back to the top- we went. I love that this hunt isn't a give me. We hunted hard today and it just didn't come together. Id take that over an easy slam dunk hunt.

If you measure success by shooting animals every time you go out, we failed. After many years of hunting I don't measure my success the same way I use to. To watch kudu in the rut was was a special thing today.

Onward upward with lots of time in front of us.

Outstanding summary of your day, something tells me a baboon or two have a short life expectancy. Hope weather is more cooperative tomorrow.

Day 3
Hunt day 1

Finally!!! After all the travel, planning and dreaming of hunting Africa the day arrived, and it didn't disappoint.

In the past I haven't posted my hunts or successes on other forums. Usually I'm hunting public land and don't want people to know or it becomes a massive D comparison / competition. There have been so many people on this forum that have helped by taking calls or answering emails and messages, all of them asking me to send reports. The easiest way to share in the success is to post here.

Massive shout out to Ben Pringle, he's an absolute legend and a true professional. I'll come back to this point shortly.

Started the day out early as you do with the goal of kudu. Kudu is my number 1 and probably always will be.

We saw several cows and 3-4 year bull first thing in the morning. Nothing worth pursuing but they appear to be pre rut / rut with the bull pushing a cow around. Also lots of mtn reedbuk, blesbok, warthog and even a couple of red heartbeast which I thought was a little out of place and several other species.

As we came to the top of the mtn we located several blesbok, one of which Ben said its go time. My hunting buddy Ty was up.

Ty made a 330 yard shot but hit the blesbok a bit back and the animal continued to cover decent ground surprisingly. That's a long shot on sticks and first animal jitters, whatever you want to call it. The way Ben helped Ty get resituated and back in the game was notable and true professionalism. Ty shortly was able to harvest his first African species.

View attachment 529761

We loaded up and continued looking for kudu as the sun and temps rose. After a solid effort we headed back and had brunch and caught up on emails etc. We were highly encouraged to not take any naps so we can acclimate quicker. The temptation was too much and I crashed face down on my bed. Luckily I set an alarm before hand just in case this very thing happened.

Me looking sleepy, I promise I'm having a good time.

View attachment 529762

After mid day break we headed out to check on an area that usually holds warthog. From quite a distance we located one that you could see the tusk. From that distance I was surprised you could see the tusk. We stalked in after a good walk and had to relocate the pig. There were several pigs that were moving right around us and a loner springbok. We finally located the shooter. I got on the sticks and made a 100 yard shot. As soon as I shot I could hear the bullet ricochet off a large rock behind the warthog. I thought what the hell! How could I miss a 100 yard chip shot?! That's Karma for teasing Ty about his shot earlier. I was really down on myself and disbelieved what just happened. As we were about to leave Ben spots blood, then more blood, and more blood. It was good lung blood I was temporarily relieved until the blood stopped and we didn't find the hog. Ben had the boys bring ole sloo in and the dog did his work. It was quite fun to watch. Shortly after letting the dog lose we found the animal. I had made a double lung shot, a tad back, but still good shot but the warthog just ran. The body on it was larger than I had anticipated and I was stoked to have my first African animal.

View attachment 529763

Loaded up and back on the pursuit for Kudu.

Keep in mind kudu was my number 1, I wasn't expecting to have the afternoon I did on the first day.

After some time and as the sun was starting to get close to setting we spotted a couple cows and then a bull. Ben said its a good animal, one that we should take any day of the week. I looked it over and said, " don't have to tell me twice." The bull was a mature representation of the area and his cape was beautiful. Nice dark mane and the hide wasn't rubbed out. Bright white markings. The part that stood out to me was his mass at the bases. I was ready.

We moved and got into position. Closest we could get was 400 yards. I'm real comfortable with 400 yard shots. After waiting for some time and for the animal to move and present us with a good shot it was finally time. I squeezed the trigger and thud, solid hit. Smoked his ass as we say. Perfect hit. The bull bucked up and ran to the left. I reloaded out of habit and the bull turned straight on towards us at the same distance. Ben said he's going down but I sent another one down range. THUD! another solid shot straight on. In my world of elk hunting we shoot until the animal is down, no exceptions. My kudu was done. We had a solid hike up gaining elevation and reminding us that we are still hunters and its good for our lungs to burn.

I was speechless and needed a minute. I've wanted to hunt Africa since I was a kid, I'm now a middle aged man. This animal represented many many years of hard work and sacrifice to get to the point where I could hunt it. I needed another minute. I assure you there weren't any tears but I stood there in disbelief. We took photos and got the animal off the mtn. I was more quiet than normal on the ride back to camp, absorbing it all in and falling in love with this place.

View attachment 529766View attachment 529765

When I have more time I'll post the video Ty took of the kill shots.
Congratulations of a fantastic pig and kudu! I share your choice of continuing to shoot until the animal is down.

Reactions: USN
Great start to your hunt. We never forget that feeling when you walk up to your first kudu on the ground. It is very emotional and you described it perfectly. Being an Aussie I loved your reference to meat pies. We eat’em for brekkie over here!

Last edited:
Excellent kudu and warthog, congratulations! Looking forward to seeing more on your hunt. I like that you're posting each hunting days as you have them.

Day 5
Hunt Day 3

Still chasing that elusive kudu. These fair chase free range kudu are no joke and its truly incredible. I love the pursuit of challenging game. My hunting partner Ty will have his chance, we keep getting close. We saw quite a few cows this morning but no shooter bulls.

After giving in a honest attempt in the morning we decided to switch gears and chase some blesbok. I always thought of them as the "give me" animal and your fall back when things are slow. While they might not be the hardest animal to chase they are super neat animals. I think their cape is amazing and I didn't give these animals the respect they deserve. Even my wife loved it and mentioned making a rug. A bit late for that sweetie, needed to know that hours ago.

blesbok Joe.jpg

I had to take my hat off to get a good picture, grrrrr. No one likes looking at their receding hairline. I guess its a right of passage.

Today was the first day I didn't take a nap, I hope the sacrifice pays off and I can sleep better. Travelling East always kicks my butt vs travelling West.

This afternoon we chased kudu again. We located a stud bull but couldn't get closer than 550-600 yards and it was just a bit beyond our comfortable range, especially in the thick cover. One poorly placed shot could really put a poor taste in your mouth real quick.

We'll keep at it tomorrow, its only a matter of time.

Day 6
Hunt day 4

A day for getting so close, yet so far away.

The last 3 of our 4 animals taken were shot by yours truly. I really started feeling selfish, ok maybe not so much, none the less Ty was up today.

We started out by chasing kudu again. As we were driving to one of the spots we saw some kudu on the move. At first it looked like a good bull but we just couldn't tell. Ty had him dead for rights but Ben was still undecided if it was a shooter. The bull wrapped the side of the hill and we had to move and adjust. We dropped down and moved over hoping to cut the bull off. In doing so we ran into a large herd of cows and a single horn bull that we located days ago. Those kudu moved off and we waited. We eventually got another good look. The bull was so close to being a shooter but it just didn't quite make the cut. I respect Benjamin / PH for making the call. We've worked hard to shoot kudu and any professional feels the pressure to produce but we still have a lot of time in front of us.

kudu in the open.jpg

This is the most open space shot we have had. These animals don't like to leave the cover.

This has been the story of Ty's safari, so close but so far, so many times. Eventually luck will land his way.

Later that morning we decided to work on a springbok for Ty. After about an hour or so we were finally into a herd, after the ewes bounced away we located the ram. He was old, had mass, and his horns were worn down. A great animal to take. After some navigating around awful bushes that feel like they're trying to inject me with pain, we threw the sticks up and got ready.

Squuuuuueeeze, BOOM, and a miss. Sorry Ty! Im starting to feel for the guy. Thank goodness it was the springbok missed and not the a kudu.

He's holding his chin high.

smile you missed.jpg

What Ty lacked in shooting today he made up for in his spotting skills. We went to another spot and Ty spotted a really nice bull quite far away that we weren't really able to make a move on

We loaded up and made a move. As we came around the corner we spotted an old warthog that gave us the look. We bailed out of the truck, walked through some death brush as I call it. *I don't know the real name* and threw up the sticks. Just as Ty had the safety off the hog bolted like fat kid chasing the ice cream truck. So close yet so far away.

old piggy.jpg

Shortly after we headed back and filled our bellies. If I keep this up the warthog and I will be good company.

This afternoon we made a move on a shooter bull kudu. Too far away and with light fading we just couldn't make it happen. These bulls are cruising and looking for love. Lets not kid ourselves, we would walk that fast too if it was only once a year...

I use to think, ignorantly that these animals were easier to take than they've shown. I wanted to make sure my experience was earned, and not given, and we're getting exactly that. We're hunting them how we wanted. Africa is successful because its a target rich environment, not because its easy.

I still pinch myself, every single day that I'm hear and trying to soak it all in. We have lots of hunting left to do but its already going way too fast.

amazing sunset.jpg

Pro tip of the day. DO NOT WEAR WRANGLER ATR PANTS IN AFRICA. These thin comfy pants pick up every burr that every bush has to offer. I looked like a mutt who ran through cockle berries.

Pulling for Ty between you, Ben, and the trackers it will happen. Excellent writing skills and you know I am following along with a special interest. Good luck… isn’t Africa another level of excitement?Wouldn’t surprise me if you both rebook before leaving enjoy. You know when you talk to others about Nick and Ben you will sound a lot like I do. Get’em boys

Next week will be next level for you. There are soooo many kudu and the rut is here. Between weather, moon, and rut it should be really good trip.

Good trip for everyone thank you Sir

great read and thank for sharing. can't wait for more.

Day 7
Hunt Day 5

Redemption for one, humility for the other.

The day started us out going to a new area that hadn't seen any pressure for a while. An area that requires a lot of hiking and covers a lot of elevation changes.

Just as we had started our drive to the new location we were presented with an opportunity at a bushbuck, a good one too. Bushbuck was not in our package as one of the animals, as Ty said I'd love to shoot that Ben was ready to go. I think we wanted it more than we did, he loves these little critters.

With a quick stalk we were in position in early light. With a 194 yard shot in front of us Ty squeezed it off and the bushbuck dropped immediately
Bushbuk.jpg

We were off to a great start.

The drive took us a while as we traversed Land Cruiser trails ( I'm afraid our PH Ben would crucify us if we called them Jeep trails). Gaining elevation we were above vegetation line and watched Vaal Reed Buck run around. Cagey little suckers.

Continuing on we came back down into areas of vegetation and started seeing kudu. We were still in pursuit of kudu for Ty. While looking for kudu we found a red hartebeest bull worth chasing. After a quick stock they blew out of there and we continued on.

We shortly later found a kudu worth chasing, however the kudu was quite a ways off and we would need to head right back where we came from.

We put a stock on it and got within a shooting range that was acceptable. Ty shot and hit the bull. The bull required an additional shot but the bull had moved and we had to adjust our shooting lane. After a decent wait, while we bleed from our eyeballs keeping on eye on it, the bull was in position for another shot. Ty let her rip and the kudu was down. Yes! What a relief it was, I know we still have ample of time in front of us but everyone here knows the pressure removed once your number 1 is down.

Ty Kudu.jpg

As we were looking for this kudu and repositioning to shoot it we saw some waterbuck. One of the younger bulls ran across the dirt road. I'm not going to lie I was mesmerized a bit by it. I've seen plenty of pictures of them and they always looked bland in color and characteristics however seeing them in person I thought it looked like a gray tank with horns. Thick and built squared. Ben warned us that they can take lead and you have to shoot them right. I said I'd love to shoot one, however I hadn't planned on shooting one.

My wife's background is accounting. She keeps our family and financial efforts on track and does an excellent job at it. Prior to booking my hunt I gave her my rough budget for the hunt and what she can expect this adventure of mine to cost us. As I was leaving she said spend what you want just don't be stupid. The only married man that falls for that is a foolish one. I knew exactly what that meant. Stay in your budget.

We took the kudu to hang and be skinned and the whole time I was working up the plan in my little brain box of how to go over budget and keep boss lady happy. In the end I decided to swap waterbuck with the nyala I still needed to shoot. If I get too greedy there won't be a trip number 2.

Game on.

We dropped one of our skinners off to make a push on these waterbucks as they were bedded in a horrible spot. We relocated and got into position of where we think they would come out. The plan worked perfectly.

Here came the old bull, right at 200 yards. Ben warned me to make sure the shot was perfect. If any animal especially this one as they are tough.

I shot, he jumped up, blood started pumping out and he ran and crashed right into a tree. Down he or so we thought. He moved off into the brush and I didn't have a follow up shot but feeling real good with my first shot. We hiked up and found blood, and more blood, and no animal and we started to get worried.

We moved again to be in a spot where we would cut off the animal and sent the boys in with the dog to see what they could find. In doing so a waterbuck came out and looked like mine but didn't look like it was bleeding do we didn't shoot it. We all hiked up and looked for last blood. In doing so Ben relocated the shot bull and I hurried my butt up to him to get on the sticks. The bull was headed up and over the ridge.

If any of you judge me for the next part then you probably haven't hunted long enough.

I put the gun on the sticks and gave it the ole Texas heart shot, only to later learn it grazed his left side. The bull was still walking so I shot again and heard the THUMP. I had shot this bull 3 times. we found blood, the entire time and it still wasn't down. At this point I don't care what shot presents itself, you shoot when able.

We played cat and mouse with this bull for almost 1.5 miles, us running up hills, busting out cows and other bulls that he was running with, going back down hills, back up hills etc. I was hot, tired and doing my best to keep up.

We finally relocated this bull in a small wet drainage. My PH and I were 20 yards apart trying to have different glassing angles. It was 35/40 yards from me and Ben couldn't see it only I could. Without getting the green light and sticks from Ben I shot it free hand. Ben quickly looked over at me with the WHAT THE HELL look. I was acting on instinct at this point. I didn't want the bull to keep going. The bull immediately fell down and we both converged on it. I drilled it dead center at 40 yards. It laid there, still alive and requiring yet another shot. 5 shots total! All 5 hitting the bull in various locations, and finally it was over. I was 50/50 on thinking we would ever get our hands on this animal. Ben and his guys did an outstanding job on keeping it happening.

After further examination my first shot was 1" lower than it should have been going just below and in front of the heart. With shoulder broken and bright red blood, additional shots to the rear, a 40 yard straight on shot, this animal still required one last round to dispatch it.

Waterbuk 1.jpg

waterbuk 2.jpg

I sent this picture to my wife and she said, "you look hot." I said, " thanks babe I miss you too"
"NO! you literally look red and hot"
If you only knew what this animal just took us through.

The team was happy we found it, not happy where we found it. It required reinforcements from some additional friends. Best 20 bucks I ever spent tipping those boys.

What an exhausting, wonderful day rewarded with some free range giraffes as a final adieu.

Girrafes.jpg

Next up, Red Hartebeest, impala, and springbok.

Last edited:
Congrats to you both on some outstanding trophies. Those memories will be locked in both of your brains for life. Good work to the whole team to make it happen. I won’t tell you how many shots my sable took. Hint more than 5

Last edited:
Grand waterbuck !!!

Day 8
Hunt Day 6

A Day of change.

Early this morning we loaded up and headed down to Nick's property to chase Nyala, Impala, springbok, and red hartebeest. I have impala and red hartebeest. We had a blast at the mtn. cabin and made some great memories.

Right out of the gate we were on nyala and the animals just wouldn't give us a shot. Every animal I've seen I've enjoyed more than I thought I would. Maybe I made a mistake shooting a waterbuck instead of a nyala. Ty and I want to see and hunt as many species as possible and by breaking them up we get to experience it all.

It didn't take long for us to get Ty on an impala. I apologize for the poor photo, not all of them downloaded from my phone and I'm having some connectivity issues at the moment.

Ty impala.jpg

We dropped the animal off for skinning and carried on.

skinning.jpg

After a cat nap we carried on in the heat of the day. Ty and I aren't use to the heat. We were pushing 90f today in this lower country.

We spent most of the day working some very skittish springbok in several locations. After a few failed attempts it was my turn and I connected on my first springbok.

Fun fact: one of the best rugby teams in the world are the South African Springboks. Couldn't they have picked lions? There is nothing mean or intimidating about a springbok.

It reminded me a lot of hunting Wyoming pronghorn in August, hot and dry with lots of opportunities.
springbok.jpg

We spent the remainder of the day chasing springbok for Ty and it just didn't work out.

Later that night we spent the evening trying to relocate the nyala we saw that morning of which he never showed.

We made into the new lodge at dark and are the first clients to break bread at the dinner table, what an honor. Nick and his team have absolutely knocked it out of the park. I'm impressed with how people here get so much done with such logistical constraints.

My service is crap at the moment and I know several have asked for photos of the new lodge. Ill upload what I can.

I hope I can get these posted. I wish I could write more detail but I'm flat out exhausted and ready to try for some real sleep.

Don't judge us for looking tired. Its been a long couple days. We still felt tired after my water buck saga.
room 4.jpg

room2.jpg

room3.jpg

room1.jpg

Wish I could write more but the bed is calling to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.