SOUTH AFRICA: My Turn! Eastern Cape With Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA

Damn that is an impressive camp. So sorry you guys are roughing it in Africa. Can not wait and thanks for the detailed reports… I am pumped. May the good luck continue for Ty & you. Relax and drink a green water for me. Nick is definitely taking it to another level.

Day 9
Hunt Day 7

One is a hero and one is a zero.

Today started with us feeling the pressure for getting Ty his nyala. We hit a couple of the haunts going back and forth and doing our best to turn one up. Ben, with incredible spotting, located 3 bulls and they were in a great location. One little, one mid size, and one shooter. Without too many issues Ty was in position and sent it. It was a spine hit and went down immediately and shortly after required one more. It was a very old mature bull with barely anything for teeth left. Off to the skinning shed and back at it.

nyala.jpg

Next up was another one for Ty, springbok. We spent most of yesterday afternoon trying to get Ty one and it just didn’t work out.

Unfortunately don't have a photo of his springbok, The photos are on his phone and it wasn't allowing airdrop.

Today we located a mature ram and the hunt was on. With another fairly easy stalk Ty made another great shot and springbok was down. Back to the skinning shed.

You know the old saying, what starts bad ends bad.

We located a shootable ram impala, once again not a terrible stalk and we were within shooting range shortly. We didn’t see as many impala or warthogs today, Ty still needs his pig. I got on the sticks, got range, and missed! I was threading the needle on the shot but still, it should have been a hit. My first miss of the hunt and I was pissed at myself. I know its not the end of the world and there are plenty of more animals but I still wasn’t happy with myself.

After a quick nap and lunch we headed off for Red Hartebeest, or as Ty calls them, red wildebeest. I have to give these animals way more credit than I originally had. They are skittish as hell and can see you coming from a mile away. We played cat and mouse with this herd for a couple hours. Several times we were on the sticks but couldn’t get a bull to be alone and present a shot. Finally, we’re in a position to shoot. I line up for what should be a chip shot, have the bull in sight, pull the trigger and hear a thump. Ben says I don’t think you shot the bull. I thought no way, I was right on him. We walked over there and sure enough I dumped a cow. I have no idea what happened, I felt terrible. I’ve never done anything like this. I’ve shot plenty of bull elk around cows. None the less I have to own my shot and this is the end result. Ben asked if I wanted pictures, which I didn’t. I was pissed and still am but I probably should have at least done one picture so I can remember the moment down the road.

After this debacle we set out to get Ty his. Once again we played cat and mouse over and over until it lined up. Ty missed his first shot and we quickly were in pursuit. After a few minutes we were back in the game. Ty set up and sat there for what felt like forever, his eyes watering and his muscles starting to fatigue while staying concentrated on the bull. At the right moment he sent the shot and it was a perfect hit. He had scored himself a very nice bull.

red hartebeest.jpg

Today I woke up feeling the best I had since getting here and going to bed feeling the worst. I suppose there are ups and downs even in Africa.

Can’t believe tomorrow is my last day, I'm ready to see my wife and kids but not ready to give this up.

Hartebeest can be interesting to be sure on male/female. My first African hunt the PH had me shoot a female. He was a bit upset with himself. Some trips later in Zambia a PH had me shoot not 1 and not 2 but 3 female hartebeests before we go a male........ Good thing he owned the property.
Congrats on some nice animals. Great hunt. I've enjoyed your report.
Bruce

Day 10
Hunt day 8

Finishing strong.

I hate writing this last report, means my time is over with this little hunting bug I have. The dark continent did not disappoint. It exceeded my every expectation, that in large part to Nick Bowker Hunting and our PH Ben Pringle. Ben did an absolutely amazing job for us and I can't speak highly enough about his skills. It was a true honor.

We started out after the elusive pig. I know it shouldn't sound that way but we struggled the last couple days due to wind and temps. The pigs just weren't moving until they were, and man were they moving. With some patience glassing we spotted a pig worthy of the magic alloy pill.

Ty rested on his sticks and made a great 250+ yard shot on the ole animal. Down he went, didn't twitch a muscle.

Ty Pig.jpg

After this we were in impala mode. I had two animals left, my impala and the red hartebeest.

We literally started up the road after loading the warthog and ran into a small group of rams. Luckily there was a shooter ram for me to take. I got on the sticks and lined up on the impala at 293. The animals was quartering towards us and I took aim. Ben wanted it to turn sideways but I said I'm solid and he let me send it. SENT! The ELD-X hammered the ram and down he went. He required one more shot as we got close to him. I was starting to get worried about getting all of our animals and felt a lot of pressure removed.

J Impala.jpg

What a great morning! I was getting worried but we were off to a great start and I was feeling good, especially considering how rough the day before was.

After a longer lunch break we were back at it in pursuit of getting me a red hartebeest. We went to a different property that held good numbers of the animals.

It wasn't long until we found a herd that had a couple shooters in it. After a couple stalks and having to continue to adjust I finally was in place and safety off.

300 yards away was an animal that was so in my head I didn't know what was going on. You would have thought the kudu would have me breathing hard, no sir, I was steady as a rock on that animal. I think knowing that it was coming down to my last hour or two, I really felt the pressure.

I ran through the shooting sequence in my head, squeezed, and hammer time. Perfect shot right through the heart. Yards later he tumbled. I actually found these animals to be quite challenging. Staying on the sticks and having to follow the same bull in a herd was a bit stressful. Yesterday my PH and I both had target in site on the bull I was suppose to shoot. How I messed that up so badly I'm still processing, fortunately I had a second chance. Just about every animal I shot I would ask Ben, "did I shoot the right one?" I'm not familiar with these animals, I know what I'm looking at when a buck or bull moves around in a herd. One major take away from my ZA experience is to trust your PH and make sure you're on the same page.

Red hartebeest Joe.jpg

It pains me to end my report but excites me to plan for the future and what lays ahead. I tried coming here with 0 expectations and doing my best to not be ignorant to culture and subcultures. I learned a lot about a different game management style and approach.

There is a kindred spirit of those I met. Coming from ancestors in the similar areas in the 1800s only mine went west and theirs went south, both to tame a land and try to scratch out their existence. There is an individual ruggedism required to be successful here both of old and of new. I enjoy meeting good people from all over the world and ZA hasn't let me down.

I can't wait to return to the dark continent.

Until next time.

sunset.jpg

Last edited:
You Sir have a wonderful writing style, so enjoyed your reports, thank you. Outbound today and think more stoked for trip two than one if that is possible. Hello kudu rut.

You Sir have a wonderful writing style, so enjoyed your reports, thank you. Outbound today and think more stoked for trip two than one if that is possible. Hello kudu rut.
Thank you.
You’ve timed it perfectly. We saw soooo many kudu.

Reactions: USN
Nice one, mate. Now you'll spend the next few months thinking about it all the time and planning your return!!

I’m enjoying this well written hunt report, it’s been almost a decade since I’ve hunted and written a report. I can’t wait to get back into hunting after my new guns are finished being built, get out of self imposed hunting exile and follow similarly your footsteps to Africa…finally. Just as dreamed of as a kid reading Capstick. Thanks for the report and inspiration.

Excellent report - Congrats on a great hunt and sharing the highs & lows with us!

Congrats for a great hunt, and thanks for sharing !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you