SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Thormahlen & Cochran?

newguy

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci
I purchased a hunt with Thormahlen & Cochran for RSA at my local sci banquet and was wondering about any feed back anyone may have on them?

Have you or anyone you know hunted with them recently?

It drives me nuts when they don't put trophy fee's on the website.

They had them listed earlier, thats what made me start wondering if all was still well with them..

newguy, Prices not being listed is always annoying... Perhaps this might help a bit, here is a link to their website that dates back to Jan 16, 2008 where you will see some prices from back then...
South Africa Trophy Fees, click here.
South Africa Daily Rates, click here.

Hi, Calhoun probably has a similiar opinion as me. They are a top notch outfitter. They get such item as hunting permits for white and black rhino. They send out a newsletter. They get some fantastic trophies! I meet a guy when I was in South Africa that hunts with them regularly. He says they are pricey on trophies but the quality was excellent. His wife commented to me that they were always selling and pushing to shoot more animals...something I really hate when I'm hunting. But I have seen the pictures of the animals there client takes and they are excellent! They shoot some monster cape buffalo in South Africa. And I do mean MONSTER.

...I have talked to these people for many years at SCI fund raisers & they seem to be excellent outfitters. I never hunted with them or heard any negatives but they are pricey but seem to have the best concessions. They have sent me newsletters may times a year & they have some great trophies. If I had the money I would definitely hunt with them, Quality is there Game & the trophies speak for themselves!!!

They are and old and established Safari Company and that says a lot for them, because in this business you produce or you fold..I have talked to them and shared a beer or two with them from time to time over the years and I would not hesitate to hunt with them..The people that I have talked to that hunted with them have highly recommended them.

The only problem I have with them is they are my competition! :) :) :)

If memory serves me correctly they here awarded outfitter of the year in 2009,they are old and well established and for that you will pay dearly ,take plenty of extra cash.
Good quality animals,nice lodging

Blocked trophies by Thormahlen

I hunted with Thormahlen in may of 2011 for lion, great accommodations and support staff. However second morning out,Thormahlen had major temper tantrum w a fellow hunter that should have taken place in private if at all and especially not in front of me...a behavior completely unprofessional...the hunt got better after he left the concession until I returned home and he had blocked the packing house from shipping my trophies...He then sends me a bill for several thousand $ and won 't release them til he's paid...in his bill he charges me for animals that he gave me written in the original contract for lion bait..the first morning in camp he gave me two more animals in front of two witnesses but I did not get it in writing...I have emailed him several times but he won't address any of my points...I owe for a few animals but it doesn't offset what he owes me for in trophy fees for a lion and a buffalo that I did not harvest but I had to pay for upfront...most outfitters don't charge for trophy fees until you kill...for anyone that hunts w them make sure everything is written in stone..

John, Are you saying you paid trophy fees before you shot certain animals? Or was it a package deal that included those animals with an understanding that if not taken, the fee(s) would be refunded?

Yes, this being my first safari, I didn't know better..I had to pay lion and buffalo trophy fee upfront. But I was charged for other animals that were given to me as bait in the contract and two more that he gave me verbally ..He won't acknowledge credit where it's due.....there is a whole lot more to the hunt but this is where there is dishonesty..

I hunted with Thormahlen in may of 2011...I owe for a few animals but it doesn't offset what he owes me for in trophy fees for a lion and a buffalo that I did not harvest but I had to pay for upfront...most outfitters don't charge for trophy fees until you kill...for anyone that hunts w them make sure everything is written in stone..

OUCH!
Written in stone would be a good thing!

They are going to this show.
Perhaps someone could ask them about this incident in person!
List of Exhibitors for 2012

Jerome, perhaps you can invite T&C to comment here.

John have you written a hunt report on this one? (beyond this portion)

Guys Peter will be in the US on multiple shows, I agree but instead of posting why not meet with him in Dallas, or any of the multiple shows that he will be doing in person, I just think matters like this deserves an eyeball to eyeball.

My best always.

Peter runs a tight ship I am sure that this can be resolved.

Guys Peter will be in the US on multiple shows, I agree but instead of posting why not meet with him in Dallas, or any of the multiple shows that he will be doing in person, I just think matters like this deserves an eyeball to eyeball.

Peter runs a tight ship I am sure that this can be resolved.

If John were attending the show that will work.
More expense (time and money) for the hunter to resolve something a professional should have been dealt with already in my mind.

Jaco, it is "already out" and being fair to Peter and John it would be good for everyone to understand how it gets resolved.

In future how to avoid the problem. (Beyond getting the stone chisel out)
John saying it was his first time hunting in Africa and having this happen only leaves others with trepidation and concern!

I hope this "misunderstanding" gets worked out to their mutual satisfaction.

Peter will be on multiple shows if john is closeby I would reccomend visiting with him, point is matter needs to be resolved and emails are not going to do the trick as we have seen, so meet up with him and resolve the issue, I do not belive that anyone wants to drag this out for longer than what it has already been

My best always.

Ps on plane not taking off!!!!!!

if i read this correctly John Dunbar (New African hunter) paid up front for a Cape Buffalo and Lion Hunt. Plus other animals.

John Dunbar indicated that he did not harvest a Lion or Cape Buffalo and Trophies fees have not been returned. (this should be a hugh positive cash flow)

John Dunbar indicated that he was given bait animals from another hunter trophies. (I have seen this happen and my animals from previous safari's were also used this way for a second hunter in camp)

John Dunbar receives a bill from Thormahlen for these bait animals. (What were the reduced prices on these bait animals and how many were there). Could this bill be for Dip & Pack and transportation to shipper?...Also the bait animals provided were the fees to be forgiven if you did not get a Lion...and seeing as you did not get a Lion you were responsible for the Bait animals fees...

Correspondence has ceased and trophies are being blocked from shipment.

I hope you get the situation straightened out. You are right everything needs to be written down on paper...otherwise it it isn't worth toilet paper to most people...great world we live in, hey but seriously hope your situation is worked out.

Can I ask why the lion and cape buffalo tags were not punched? It's rare Thormahlen & Cochran doesn't get all those trophy fees used up in Africa....it would be a huge lose to them financially for someone to pay up front for lion and cape buffalo and the client not to get their trophies? It's super rare that they would have to return trophy fees.

Best of luck to you.

I can not find individual prices for
Thormahlen & Cochran African Safari Hunting

However the packages were expensive. Is that what you purchases and paid for. Which country were you hunting...many details were left out..

Or did you do the Daily rate and then paid for trophy fees on top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg