SOUTH AFRICA: Adventure Of A Lifetime With Umlilo Safaris & Limcroma Safaris

Great report! My family had a fantastic safari with Limcroma as well. You motivated me to start making plans to go back.

Kalahari Marco Polo. I love it!!

The "mountains" in the kalahari are a bit more manageable than those in other Marco Polo habitats!

Yes, you don't need O2 canisters to make the climb in the kalahari!

Thanks for posting a great report and sharing your pictures. I've been watching Umlilo for awhile now and have them at the top of my list for my next trip to South Africa. Why did you book hunts with two different outfitters instead of just getting all your animals with Umlilo?

@EddieWalker

Both outfitters are great! I booked first with limcroma, primarily because of their emphasis on families and couples. We booked with umlilo later, a separate hunt for just my wife and I.

We couldn't be more happy with how both hunts went!

Mr. Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful detailed report with such beautiful photos of camp and your trophies. It was our sincere privilege to have hosted you and your family on safari! We really enjoyed having you all in camp, and we look forward to having you back soon.

Warm regards, Hannes

Mr. Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful detailed report with such beautiful photos of camp and your trophies. It was our sincere privilege to have hosted you and your family on safari! We really enjoyed having you all in camp, and we look forward to having you back soon.

Warm regards, Hannes

Thanks Hannes! You and your team run a top notch operation and we really felt at home in your camp. We're looking forward to hunting with you again on our next safari!

Over the past few months, I've been working on making two photobooks of our hunt last summer. I'm finding it's a great way to commemorate the hunt and a great way to actual do something with all the photos we took, rather then have them sitting on my hard-drive.

Part one just arrived in the mail and looks outstanding. It comes in a very nice protective box. I put one of Jody's coasters next to it for a size reference. This book is 12 in high x 15 in long, the biggest size- many sizes to choose from.

full

The cover on our photobook is faux-leather. you can also get real leather (fewer color choices), fabric cover, photo cover, etc.

full

To make the layouts, I used PowerPoint. you can also use photoshop or whatever sort of software you're comfortable with.

full

I used adoramapix to make my book. They seem to have the highest quality books based on the research I did. I'm really impressed with the quality of the photos, the cover, really the whole package.

full

Adoramapix has a great process. They are essentially printing a picture of the entire spread (both pages, so 12x30 in for mine). the neat thing is that the pages lay flat- no gutter to worry about obscuring part of a photo.

The individual pages are quite think and sturdy- they don't really bend.

full

I varied my layouts between trophy photos and action shots. I used photos taken on my camera and screen captures from gopro footage.

full

The text in the book is mostly pulled from my hunt report here on AH, with a bit more detail. I also included quotes from famous hunters and africa themed quotes.

These make a great gift too. I made copies for my parents and in laws.

Here's a link to adoramapix : http://www.adoramapix.com/app/mobile-home

And here's a link to photobook girl- a blog that had good advice and explanations on how to make a photobook. Also, she usually has some sort of discount code posted (I saved 30% on my order- which adds up quick if you order multiple books): http://www.photobookgirl.com

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Attachments

• 20161213_214713.jpg
    20161213_214713.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
Beautiful job! Very nice way to capture your memories of the safari.

Nice book. I started out using Picaboo about a decade ago and have stuck with them ever since. They keep improving their template and with all the paper choices and binder options, it's hard to go wrong. I printed out a couple copies from my last safari and gave my outfitter one that he ended up using as DSC and then down in Houston two years ago. Last year he made up his own to show off pictures to potential clients at his booth. You really can't beat how easy they are to carry around, or just leave with a friend and pick up later.

Just read the entire thread, Impressive report and trophies.
The fact your wife is touching many of the trophies in the pictures is a testament to her respect and curiosity.
What a great family hunt.

Thanks for sharing the effort.

Nice way to commemorate, nice looking photo album!

My wife and I are hunting with Limcroma in May of 2018. Riaan Jacobs will be the PH. We are both very excited.

You'll have a great time. Riaan is a great guy and an exceptional hunter.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

enjoyable pics and read.

What a fantastic hunt! Great report and beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg