Some things can never be bettered?

In the American Army we called them Lyster bags. In hot weather they really worked due to the evaporation on the surface of the bag. The water seemed almost ice cold on a really hot day in the field. Unfortunately, by Desert Storm they were pretty much gone - a time we could have really used them.

I like cotton.

Shirts and shorts in hot weather and climes should not be polyester or any other sort of the body clinging, man-made materials that offer such great profit margin to the clothes makers and distributors.

With respect to a gin for a tonic at the end of the day, nothing beats Hendricks.

I was a Hendricks drinker for years until I tried Drumshanbo. Good stuff for your sun downer.

586AA27D-9858-48A5-9EBA-20D24B3CF2A3.jpeg

For those that remember, Walter Winchell narrating the Untouchables and doing newscasts.

Cooking dinner on a Coleman camp stove under a canvas dining fly lite by a Coleman lantern while watching the snowfall.

He lives in Melbourne, left South Africa about eleven years ago to study at Melbourne university and stayed. He’s now an Australian citizen and loves it there. I think it’s the best decision he’s ever made! Bittersweet though I miss him more than he can imagine.
@Jon Glajchen
Maybe when this virus is over he could take you sambar hunting in the Victoria high country.
Bob

By the way, the rifle, still with us, was my first and only rifle for 15 years. The rifle I used for my first big game animal, a brocket deer, 1972. A rifle that came from my great grandfather. Still in its original rust blue and with the barrel still more than good for hunting! A 7x57 DWM original Sporting rifle, 1893 action, like the "plezier" ones used by the Boers. I wish the rifle could talk....

By the by, in case some folks are coming across my earlier post here and thinking "... But a M1911 doesn't have three safeties, does it?", well, it does and it doesn't.

In terms of manual "safeties" as we think of them, it's got the thumb safety and grip safety that have to be lowered and depressed respectively to fire the weapon.

But its design also includes a further safety measure where if the slide is not fully in battery, the trigger will go all the way back but not engage and the weapon will not fire. Which is good, because it means your pistol won't inadvertently go BOOM in your hand when it's supposed to go BANG, when it's clogged with mud or there's a mechanical failure or what-have-you.

(And if y'all knew that already, forgive me for telling you that which you know.)

Th

e feel of a hundred year old gun in your hands while sitting in the grey light before the sun comes up and the birds sing and you watch the woods come alive. The smell and feel of a fresh falling snow. The smell of a wet tired hunting dog with his head lying in your lap. The feel of warm blood on cold hands. The elation and accompanying sadness after the kill.

Yeah.....right.....I put my cold, semi frozen hands on my (ex) wife:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:. The hospital bill and (ex) says it all. (n):whistle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The only things that can bettered is:

One has finally improved on one's skills of outdoor cooking, and setting up a proper camp.

the learning curve if one is caught committing a crime.

All else is fond memories! Shared with those that shared that special moment, or reminiscing that special time as an inspiration for others to make their own good memories in life. And as an inspiration to ourselves to make and share even more special times with family, old and new friends.

What could be bettered:

than being on the lake fishing with your grandpa,

learning the outdoors with an uncle,

One's first solo day hunt with a wooden recurve bow, cedar shaft arrows, a case xx fixed blade hunting knife, beef jerky, and an army surplus metal canteen filled with water or koolaid fruit punch,

Putting out your first solo trap line,

Being told, (finally allowed) you can make the campfire and allowed to have your first cup of coffee (just dont tell anyone when we get back home)

As a pre teen, things that I find that couldn't be bettered, even with all the latest gadgets available today.

@Skinnersblade
You old softie and romantic but don't worry mate your gruff exterior is safe we won't tell anyone what your like.
Bob

You can tell anyone you want I like attractive women and faithful dogs Bob but I thing the country music industry beat you too it.

@Newboomer
Mate I've had enough of whining gears and old road ranger gearboxes with roaring diesels especially the screeming V8 Detroit's like the 8V92TTA to do me a life time but they were good days.
Bob

53s and the 71s were just as load with the added bonus of factory built oil leaks.

53s and the 71s were just as load with the added bonus of factory built oil leaks.
53s and 71s were screaming meenies but the pick was a 6v92TTA revving at 3,200 revs change down @2600 revs, 6 inch straight thru stacks and on stage 3 on the Jake brakes, 15 speed double overdrive box and 4.11 diffs. Man did that baby haul ass.
Bob

53s and 71s were screaming meenies but the pick was a 6v92TTA revving at 3,200 revs change down @2600 revs, 6 inch straight thru stacks and on stage 3 on the Jake brakes, 15 speed double overdrive box and 4.11 diffs. Man did that baby haul ass.
Bob

Don't have gear selection in marine application so they just constantly run in the 1800-2400rpm range.

I worked as a diesel apprentice in high school ( mostly when I should of been in class ) but the majority of trucks were running cummins or cats.

Ps I think we're doing the jackalope thing again bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you