Some questions on a plains game rifle

Just get one of these scopes Brushmore. Then you just need to buy one bullet! ;)

upload_2014-10-31_15-48-21.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your thinking Royal27! I have seen that before and I am a bit skeptical about something that pulls the trigger for me. But I bet I could take out plenty of baboons for Loodt with something like that!

I like your thinking Royal27! I have seen that before and I am a bit skeptical about something that pulls the trigger for me. But I bet I could take out plenty of baboons for Loodt with something like that!

I find the technology fascinating, but like you I question making things completely automatic (although the scope doesn't adjust for windage).

I also question the ethics of super long range shooting. I read about a Wildebeest being shot with one of these things at something like 1100 yards. So what happens when the animal takes a couple of steps right after the bullet leaves the barrel? Not good.... Not completely convinced either way, butI have thought about it.

Now if I was some ultra rich guy, which I'm not, what a fun toy it would be!!!

Long range hunting: Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Long range hunting: Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
but its fun .........
but if you need an automated aiming data pckage to do it , yo should stick to computer games .

but its fun .........
but if you need an automated aiming data pckage to do it , yo should stick to computer games .
I think it can be fun up to 400 meters at times after that ethical questions come up, a lot can go wrong.

I agree video games, shooting games can be fun

I think it can be fun up to 400 meters at times after that ethical questions come up, a lot can go wrong.

I agree video games, shooting games can be fun

This is where I'm at personally. If someone else wants to take a longer shot that is their call and there are certainly those who can. I'd have to be prone with a bipod and no wind - perfect conditions - to even think about it.

Last edited:
I got a coyote sitting on top of a hay bale last night at 600 yds with a .223. I practice like that out to 600 yds so I am comfortable on big game out to 400. Also had lots of time and a solid rest.

I got a coyote sitting on top of a hay bale last night at 600 yds with a .223. I practice like that out to 600 yds so I am comfortable on big game out to 400. Also had lots of time and a solid rest.

that's some wicked shooting , k-man
with a 223 . nice.
my young fella loves his 223 ,and shoot foxes and rabbits out to 400 ,no worries.

Nicely done!

Yea. The first thing you want to do is look around to see who was watching!! Judging by my reaction you would have thought I just shot a boone and crockett whitetail!

I think that is why I enjoy bow hunting a lot of days you come home empty handed except the memories of the hunt, but when everything lines up and you fool an animal at close distance it magical.

I think that is why I enjoy bow hunting a lot of days you come home empty handed except the memories of the hunt, but when everything lines up and you fool an animal at close distance it magical.
I too enjoy up close and personal hunting, it is awesome. But on those days where the sun the moon the stars and the wind all line up I'll take that 500 yard shot. But only if I'm rock steady and sure of myself. Both types of hunting have there rewards, but I pity the guy that never experiences up close hunting for he is truly missing out.

On an Elk hunt a couple of weeks ago one Elk was shot at over 700+ yards, another over 500+. Made my 300 yard shot look like a chip shot. People do make those long shots. Now, with my gun (416 B&M) 550 yards is the limit when sighted in at 200 yards as I run out of dots on my ballistic reticle.

what scope were you using?

what scope were you using?
On that gun I have a Leupold vx2 3x9 40 mm duplex. I have several vx3's and one boone and crockett that I really like on a .300 winmag.

That's the same scope I just used on my first safari that I just came back from last Friday. At 200 yards I was right on, but at 300+, My sight picture (at least with my 60 year old eyes) just wasn't clear enough for me to "pick a spot" as well as I would like.

I'm wondering if going to a VX3 4.5-14 X 40 would give me a bit more definition at those 300-500 yard ranges and what issues going to 14 power would bring if any. Hoping Forum members can comment.

I'm wondering if going to a VX3 4.5-14 X 40 would give me a bit more definition at those 300-500 yard ranges and what issues going to 14 power would bring if any. Hoping Forum members can comment.

Only issue is that most shots in Africa are not going to require anything like 14 X. i.e.. Under 300 yards for sure and most likely under 200. Most PH's are going to be much more sneaky than that.

Take what you are comfortable with though.

You're right.......up in Limpopo we were at 80-140 yards all the time. Wasn't until we went down to Free State that I had to reach out to the 300+ range to get on a good Black Wildebeast and Blesbok.

You're right.......up in Limpopo we were at 80-140 yards all the time. Wasn't until we went down to Free State that I had to reach out to the 300+ range to get on a good Black Wildebeast and Blesbok.

If you are running around the grasslands in the Free State you will likely need that 14 X for sure.
You know your eyes best and use what you need to to get the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg