So the 308 Win seems approved by AH, what about the rifle?

CBH Australia, just an FYI, but the Blaser R8 has the recoil lug upside down as well. Not sure if other brands are also doing it.
I would have thought you being from “down under” the upside down lug would make more sense! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I would also say that the cz 557 eclipse quite meets the requirements, even the thread for the muffler is in some modifications, M14 or M18. But I personally would not take a plastic stock - it is both noisy and aesthetically it is a step towards a rubber woman.
And it's less than $1000.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.53 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.55 PM.png
    1,023 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 3.19.57 PM.png
    733.8 KB · Views: 76
[...]

I imagine the recoil lug setup is adequately strong and dependable and capable of close tolerance to , just work.

I expect it might lower machining costs and be just fine.

Can the engineer add to the logic or pros and cons of such a system please?

I can only speculate! I think they made the recoil lug like that in order to save costs. Do you really need a steel recoil lug? After all, it unloads the recoil impulse on a piece of wood or plastic. That little ledge on the receiver, that the lug mates to, is probably enough to take the impulse, with a decent margin. On the T3x model they went to a steel lug, but I think they kept the shape and layout of it. It works!

Hello all,

with the title I was obviously referring to the thread "308 Winchester Caliber Opinions" where 308 seemed liked by almost all for shots on medium game within 300meters. Now I would like your advice on the rifle.

I would like to find a light, short workhorse .308 with great quality. To be used on fox, european boar, roe deer and 'maybe' a red deer. The idea is like a single shot, simple elegant, light and short, but its' bolt action version.
- less than 1500 euro
- light, less than 3kg (if possible, even with scope and rings I'd like to stay even below)
- short, for moving in a blind, 18inch barrel?
- threaded barrel (suppressors are not yet allowed, but once they are..)
- synthetic stock (wood is beautyful, but heavy and not so weather resistant)
- adjustable cheekweld
- excellent build quality, reliability and trigger (obviously)

to be combined with a 1-6 or 1-8 variable optic, which would permit me a bit more comfort for those dreadful driven hunts at 1x and have a bit of magnification for shots inside of 200m.

one of the only rifles I have found that comes with most of this (but no adjustable cheek weld) is the:

I've looked at Tikka's, Sauer's, Mauser's, but all of them are so heavy (I own a Mauser M03 extreme in 300win mag, but it is very long, very very heavy, great for PG in Africa, not for the short ranges and smaller game in Belgian woods). Blaser (yes the R8) might actually be a good choice, but I will not put such money in one.

Thanks!
V.
VertigoBE, I would submit the Steyr Scout Rifle. I'm a Scout rifle shooter and have been for 35 years. The Steyr can be had with a threaded barrel if desired. 19in barrel, overall length under 1 meter. Adjustable length of pull by spacers. no adjustable comb height. Synthetic stock. Empty weight at 6.8lbs. Scope can be mounted in Scout position (over barrel) or conventional position. Detachable magazine and spare mag in buttstock. Integral bipod in forearm. Build quality second to none. Wouldn't trade mine for love nor money. Price is above your stated goal but worth it.

CBH Australia, just an FYI, but the Blaser R8 has the recoil lug upside down as well. Not sure if other brands are also doing it.
I would have thought you being from “down under” the upside down lug would make more sense! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

@Technologist that makes sense and the area of the little lug is far bigger than area where it mates to the rebate but I still try to understand things.

Having one Rem 700 I've seen that and even the Howa is somehow a part , lump of solid steel integral to the action.

When I read on people putting an oversize recoil lug on a rem 700 it makes the Tikka one seem small when I've read on Tubb oversize lugs etc.

Actually I have a carbon fibre stock for a Tikka that has an integral Carbon fibre lug. I questioned the head engineer of the company about it. They form a solid bedding of CF composite around the action area. The whole stock weighs about 680grams .

It doesn't look like much composite material to be a Recoil lug but they say the maths works and it's strong enough to handle Recoil of large calibres and the Gen 3 stocks don't require bedding.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.03 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.04 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 66
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.07 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-12 at 8.32.13 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
@Technologist that makes sense and the area of the little lug is far bigger than area where it mates to the rebate but I still try to understand things.

Having one Rem 700 I've seen that and even the Howa is somehow a part , lump of solid steel integral to the action.

When I read on people putting an oversize recoil lug on a rem 700 it makes the Tikka one seem small when I've read on Tubb oversize lugs etc.

Actually I have a carbon fibre stock for a Tikka that has an integral Carbon fibre lug. I questioned the head engineer of the company about it. They form a solid bedding of CF composite around the action area. The whole stock weighs about 680grams .

It doesn't look like much composite material to be a Recoil lug but they say the maths works and it's strong enough to handle Recoil of large calibres and the Gen 3 stocks don't require bedding.
@CBH
Chris the Tikka is a nice weapon but fits me about as well as a kids t shirt, they are way to small in the stock.
Apart from that what turned me off them was when my gunsmith had one pulled down in my most hated caliber for a rebarrel to something real (338 federal), you look at the amount of metal holding the thing together I shuddered. The amount of metal behind the locking lugs is three fifths of five eights of stuff all. To me it didn't look like it would hold anything hotter than a 22lr.
My gunsmith assured me if it wasn't enough they wouldn't make them, Tikka engineers have a bucket load more brains than me and it works. My gunsmith has also seen a couple of them blown up, one in 22/250 & the other a 243. He doesn't know what caused it but he has also seen a couple of o the well known brand in the same calibers suffer the same fate so it's not just limited to the Tikka.
I'll stick with my old clunky M17s, P14s and savages. They ain't as purty as your beloved Tikka but they fit me, go bang and kill shit.
Bob

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the process, brownings lever action blr is a compact, lightweight, accurate rifle, it is available in .308, I have one and it is a great fast handling rifle, good luck in your search

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the process, brownings lever action blr is a compact, lightweight, accurate rifle, it is available in .308, I have one and it is a great fast handling rifle, good luck in your search
@Ravensview
It also available in the great little 358 that gives it even more oomph.
The BLR is also available in long action action in 30 ought six, 325 WSM and a few other calibers. It has also been rebarreled to 458 win.
Bob

I have a BLR in 358 Winchester. I like it for stand hunting black bear. I think it would work on leopard.
@Iwaters
I bet you wouldn't get rid of it either. Loaded with the stubby 225 grain Sierra BTGK @ close to 2500 fps and you have a great 250 yards cartridge. Because of the velocity it generates you don't need premium bullets as cup and core do just fine.
Bob

I'm thinking to the OP wants .308 calibre not necessarily .308winchrster but a .30 cal variant.
I would say go to a .300wm and be done with it but .30,Ought 6 and .300wm may suffer from velocity loss and require registration as a flame thrower in anything under maybe 22"
A 20" .308 is probably a good compromise.
Now for the suitable platform or action, let's start over.

I shoot a Tikka T3X in 6.5x55; what really transformed it into a great light weight rifle was fitting a PSE stock last year...not cheap, but worth it.

I shoot a Tikka T3X in 6.5x55; what really transformed it into a great light weight rifle was fitting a PSE stock last year...not cheap, but worth it.
I looked at PSE stocks online but f they are the Irish ones.
They look quite good and have great specs.
With exchange rate etc they are expensive but, not much more than other quality composite s and Carbon Fibre.
Worth a look

I've no regrets about buying mine; it has transformed an already good rifle into one that shoots 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

the trouble with many stocks available is in design.
obviously the designers of many of them are not experienced hunters, and as such do not understand the finer points of hunting stocks.
their designs are tainted by the modern tactical trends.
all they really need to do is just copy win m70 or rem 700 classic designs to improve them.
probably this is in part market driven, which suggest a backward movement in what really counts in hunting rifle design.
bruce.

The guys at PSE are both hunters and range shooters; a great combination. I had reservations about the stock I purchased, which is the multi purpose and the least tactical, but have no regrets now. I find the higher comb really helps with scope alignment.

the trouble with many stocks available is in design.
obviously the designers of many of them are not experienced hunters, and as such do not understand the finer points of hunting stocks.
their designs are tainted by the modern tactical trends.
all they really need to do is just copy win m70 or rem 700 classic designs to improve them.
probably this is in part market driven, which suggest a backward movement in what really counts in hunting rifle design.
bruce.
I'm not into Tacticool but I wanted a lightweight all weather.
You are correct in your thinking Bruce, you are also set in your ways.
I would definitely consider a PSE if I needed another.
In fact I would like to try one against my Bolly/Precision Defence Industries C/F stock
The Bolly boys are long range hunters and use a stock with a vertical grip where mine is a sporter style.
Clarification, Bolly make aircraft propellers and head Engineer Mark Bourne and his mate make stocks and operate Precision Defence Industries, a part of the Bolly company. The boys from Bolly are hunters.

you are right chris i am set in my ways.
but this comes from trying all sorts of things.
one thing i have realized is that there are many things that suit specialized uses very well, but usually at the expense of something else.
i feel that the bottom line of any hunting rifle is shooting offhand fast at something that might be moving.
such a rifle can shoot long range as well and do all sorts of things quite well.
however a heavy barreled rifle with a vertical pistol grip and a high mounted too powerful scope is a liability when attempting basic things.
giving yourself more opportunities is always worth consideration.
bruce.

you are right chris i am set in my ways.
but this comes from trying all sorts of things.
one thing i have realized is that there are many things that suit specialized uses very well, but usually at the expense of something else.
i feel that the bottom line of any hunting rifle is shooting offhand fast at something that might be moving.
such a rifle can shoot long range as well and do all sorts of things quite well.
however a heavy barreled rifle with a vertical pistol grip and a high mounted too powerful scope is a liability when attempting basic things.
giving yourself more opportunities is always worth consideration.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Like yourself I'm to old and set in my way, that's not to say I'm not willing to try something different.
It's just after do long I know what does and doesn't work for me. Unfortunately I no longer shoot offhand as well as I used to.
If given the chance I will find a quick rest or plonk my arse on the ground to be more stable. If I have to I will stand but prefer not to.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg