Snakes!

Just finished a hunt in Namibia. One day another client and her PH came across a Black Mamba. The stopped and waited for it to cross the track. It instead decided to raise up in front of the truck to get a better look at the occupants. It opened it's mouth and gave a good hiss then dropped down and went on it's way. Retelling the event at lunch was traumatic for the rest of us because there are no snakes where we live , except in the zoo, and occasionally a boa or python that some idiot brought into the state or allowed it to escape would make the news. The PH gave us the rundown explaining that you have to be calm if bitten then find a shady tree lay down, cross your arms across your chest then relax. This would make it easier for the others to lift you up because you have only 15 minutes after bitten to get help. I mention all this to relate what happened to me one freezing night in a blind. I'm a big guy 6 foot two, 285 lbs, and while wearing a heat retaining layer then topped by sweat pants and my regular pants, then sitting in a chair with a wool blanket in my lap and another wrapped around me I was still freezing. It was so cold my testicles migrated up under my armpits it was that cold. During the night I felt a tug on my blanket then felt something brushing up against my calves then coiling up behind my legs. Of course I begin reviewing the protocol after a mamba bite then notified my PH that an animal was coiling up behind my legs. My PH is one of those who believes that a dead snake is a good snake. I told him to lift the blanket and shine the light on the animal, he does so and I see a black curved body then he drops the blanket. I'm kinda thinking that i'm gonna share my blanky with a Black Mamba. He lifts the blanket again, at my urging then starts laughing. Upon closer inspection it was his tracking dog. She's about 8 pounds some kind of terrier dachshund. You know dogs. They won't ever just lay down. They got to spin around several times (coiling) before they settle down. Man what a relief. It was so cold she left the truck, tracked us down to the blind and found a warm place to settle. Bless her heart.
 
11011763_10153302791283586_2613485649265642582_n.jpg
11077949_10153302791323586_145346993870145948_n.jpg
11130185_10153302791393586_6577550045987397750_n.jpg
17298_10153302791733586_4593269132888289983_n.jpg
11009937_10153302791883586_7145178246054608627_n.jpg
 
This Egyptian Cobra tried to come in my blind today. Didn’t think they were out this time of year in Namibia
IMG_7060.JPG
 
Close your windows !!!
Rock Python...
FB_IMG_1538412365494.jpg
 
FB_IMG_1462716341244.jpg
 
Black Mamba
FB_IMG_1462716052110.jpg
 
FB_IMG_1538500938234.jpg
 
Puff Adder
43277907_1271172356358490_4243002349246742528_n.jpg
 
Looks like a very big one !
 
I’ve been struck twice by cottonmouths during early bow season in the Mississippi Delta. Fortunately my snake boots protected me. Scared the living crap out of me (no pun intended). But it hasn’t left me with any love for them. Which has evolved to see the snake kill the snake. Not a benevolent live and let live approach but it is what it is.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,299
Messages
1,572,052
Members
169,485
Latest member
TaniaBufor
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top