Smithsonian on Captive Lions

I hasten to add here that by referencing said article, I personally was not expressing any opinion on the subject matter. However, I did find it interesting that the Smithsonian featured such an article. In other words, a bit out their normal faire.

The current issue of Smithsonian (Jan/Feb 2023) features a cover story on captive lion shooting in SA along with related issues. Interesting read.
It was refreshing to see that the reporter presented both sides of the story....and that it was printed in the Smithsonian Magazine. I know "canned hunting" is controversial ....and hated by many people including hunters....BUT I hate to think what would happen to the 17% of land that is made up of game ranches in South Africa. I don't know what that equates to in acreage (and would love to know if someone could tell me) but that is a WHOPPING chunk of native habitat that could be turned back into cattle pasture if it isn't lucrative as a game farm. I also hate the idea that so little attention was paid to the part of general tourists wanting to pet cuddly baby lions...and what happens to these human-sensitized animals after they grow up. Why are they not held as culpable as Hunters? Honestly, it is hard to wrap your head around "canned" lion hunting as it is implied, picturing a lion in a small pen. Still, I may be crucified by some for saying this but I thing we again have to look at the bigger picture and with less sentimentality (this is a hard one for me). The article has a good point. Why are lions any different than any other animal....and it is okay to hunt them in enclosure? Truthfully, I had a huge turnaround on this controversial subject when I met Tienie Bamberger in person at the Great American Outdoor Show in Pennsylvania last year. When approaching him to learn more about this type of operation, he spent an entire hour with me to explain his operation in detail and even invited me there to see it for myself. I also talked with several of his clients who said the hunts for their lions were challenging and intensive affairs. One man didn't get his until the tenth day. He admitted he was a professional that didn't have the time to commit to a 21 day hunt in another nation so had chosen this route. Anyway, as long as a hunter is obeying the laws, isn't it his/her choice of what they feel is is ethical? Do we have the right to judge when we don't know the entire story or the situation. Anyway, when my emotions become involved in this whole issue, I keep reminding myself "if it pays, it stays" and the habitat preserved for lions is making habitat available for oodles of other wild species. Just my humble opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross