Sizing Down .429 Gas Checks to .423?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I recently ordered a bullet mold for .404 Jeffery, bullet size .424", slightly smaller on base to hold gas check. The problem is I can't find gas checks in .423" size. I can get readily available gas checks in .429" (for 44 mag). I have a RCBS Lubimatic sizer and am wondering if it will work to slip the .429" gas check on the .423" base and size it down to fit. Anyone have experience on this topic?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Giving it some thought, I'm wondering how a punch and die would work. a steel bar could have a hole the shape and size of the desired gas check and a punch that was flat, diameter the size of the cast bullets shank. So that the punch could be inserted into the space on the bar with clearance for the gas check. So a .429" gas check could be placed on the bar over the space. The punch could be inserted into the gas check, whacked with a hammer driving the punch into the space and sizing the gas check down to .423". ??

Proneshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 3, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Scrumcap,
I use .429 gas checks on my 404 cast bullets. Have a Lee push through sizer and it works great, but I never had much luck using my Lube Sizer. All bullets are powder coated prior to sizing.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Proneshooter- I checked the LEE website and they list push-through sizers for .410 then .427. It there a way to get one in .424?

Proneshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 3, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Proneshooter- I checked the LEE website and they list push-through sizers for .410 then .427. It there a way to get one in .424?
Reamed and polished it out myself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrancineSe

Latest profile posts

Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.
Al Burke wrote on Milan's profile.
Hello Milan, I just watched your video on disassembling/reassembling the CZ 550. I have spent days looking for something like this. I now have no reservations taking apart my rifle. I like to do this with all my guns so I understand them "inside and out". Thank you very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated.
Al
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
Fred Gunner wrote on Viral_SIGness's profile.
60 375 Ruger Brass
$75+$8.30 Priority Mail Shipping
Postal Money Order Or Certified Tellers Check.

for final confirmation
raamw wrote on krish's profile.
send me your email.