Show Us Your Hunting Knife

A modernized take on the knife carried by Otzi the Iceman. I had it forged and built to my specs. Cocobolo handle, inlayed with some mammoth ivory I aquired from Siberia.

IMG_20210918_125214438_HDR.jpg

For anyone interested in the history of crucible steel here's a link to the original NOVA program about the Ulfberht sword, the Volga trade route and Damascus/Wootz steel. IMO, well worth watching if you missed it.

I like Muela knifes...drop point hunter, skinning etc. They have styles to suite all tastes and they are a decent knife

Hi Priman,

Otzi the Iceman, knew something about well designed EDC knives...
It has to be understood that this knife reflects on the making of them as much as anything else. The knappers would trade for thei work and the smaller the knife the more of them they could get from either a large piece or converley they could make a knife from a piece that they knapped of another piece so while there was design in all the piece that were made, in many instances it was what they could get from the pieces of obsidian they found or were bought to them in trade.
have a look at the knapping of a daagger that shows the process from start to finish byt a full time knapper.

Curious to hear about anyone’s field use experience, including any bladesmiths, with true Damascus or Wootz steel hunting/utility knife blades. Quite a few of the pattern welded varieties show up but few or no Wootz/crucible steels…

…what? no +ULFBERH+T blade experience out there :):)

Toying with idea of melding the 1000 year old technology of that steel with a modern handle material like Micarta to put together a usable hunting/utility knife. Looking to expend a little DIY shop time next couple months on a budget project. I’ve noticed more Wootz blanks and billets available lately.
No experience with Wootz, but I purchased a billet of Damascus steel a dozen or so years back and made this one by stock removal. I was particular on the steels used in it since not all Damascus is great for blades. In this case it was a mix of 15N20 and 1084 steels. I used it a couple/few seasons for a few animals including my Dall sheep. It held an edge very well.
20210929_175628.jpg

Very interesting handle design there^^ I actually kind of like that shape! Seems like it would
feel good in the hand.

I am far from an expert on blade metallurgy but have noticed anecdotally from limited use of a small group of such blades, pattern welded steel has a tendency to self sharpen. Hard to explain the perceived phenomenon and maybe just my imagination-- but sure seems real? :)

Some examples of different steels in older blades. Top two are laminated, pattern welded. Bottom is crucible Wootz.

Laminated Mindanao.JPG

Laminated Bali.JPG

Indo-Persian Wootz .JPG

Very interesting handle design there^^ I actually kind of like that shape! Seems like it would
feel good in the hand.

I am far from an expert on blade metallurgy but have noticed anecdotally from limited use of a small group of such blades, pattern welded steel has a tendency to self sharpen. Hard to explain the perceived phenomenon and maybe just my imagination-- but sure seems real? :)

Some examples of different steels in older blades. Top two are laminated, pattern welded. Bottom is crucible Wootz.

View attachment 427796

View attachment 427791

View attachment 427795
I tinkered around with that handle a bit before it ended up here. The three finger groove comes from the D. H. Russel belt knife from Canada. It allows the pinky to hold the knife well and the other three to move around as needed. People don't think about the pinky much, but it's critical for good handle design. The butt is from various sources and although it flows great and somewhat useful, not a necessity. So many good steels, I may have to track some good Wootz down some day and work with it.
JPEG_20210929_194040_8272218939978135747.jpg

Hunted is SA many times. Never used a hunting knife in anger?
The skinner will do the work with your animals. That’s his job, and he is good at it.
If your PH has any sense, he won’t let you near the cape, with a knife in your hand.
However I take a mora knife, and when I leave, I give to the skinner, I also carry a small leatherman. Just to keep my nails trimmed LOL

C5F650E8-E4F6-4F12-A98D-1C8DF5CF7781.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hunted is SA many times. Never used a hunting knife in anger?
The skinner will do the work with your animals. That’s his job, and he is good at it.
If your PH has any sense, he won’t let you near the cape, with a knife in your hand.
However I take a mora knife, and when I leave, I give to the skinner, I also carry a small leatherman. Just to keep my nails trimmed LOL

View attachment 427850
Yep, when I'm in southern Africa I let the skinners do their jobs with whatever they prefer, which so far has mostly been various general purpose knives like the Victorinox paring knife and a folding box cutter with disposable razor blades. All quite effective in their hands. So, I leave the sheath knife at home and throw a couple pocket knives and a Leathermen Wave into the luggage for my personal use.

But the ones above are what I use at home.

Agreed, the trackers and skinners are the ones to do that work in Africa. They use all manner of blades and view the job with pride as their job! I take a pocket knife and fixed blade in my day pack for other, odd chores but not for skinning, caping or butchering. Those Mora and the similar Marttiini fixed blades are hard to beat for the money. Would be interested about feedback on their use by the skinners in Africa. That is truly a proving ground true test for any blade!

Even though I've seen skinners/tackers in Africa use all varieties depending on what they have, but a common type and what a lot of them seem to prefer are the commercial knives often seen in butcher shops. They usually have the white injection molded handles and have fairly thin blades. Usually not very expensive and purchased in quantity.

Funny thing about the knives we took to Africa...they only got used at the dinner table. :cool: The knives they gave us to cut our food with were in desperate need of a sharpening.

Our tracker got a nice hunting/skinning knife as a gift on our last trip. The next time we go I'm planning on taking a nice caping knife for him and several more of the less expensive ones for the other workers in the skinning shed. I also include a simple 2-step pull through sharpener with each knife. Packing a handful of these sharpeners made everyone in camp pretty happy. The kitchen staff appreciate them as well.
1633039310779.png

40 year old Western Cutlery remake of a WWII survival knife. Major changes other than scales were half blade serrations and pull cut saw instead of push cut. Obviously it has cleaned its share of game as you can see the corrosion on the 1095 steel.
4ED27FEB-72C0-4138-991B-7BB37C15855F.jpeg

I have so many favorites I could start a blog of my own!
I prefer larger knives as I am a Mountain Man born 175 years to late!
Here are a few ...
The 1st photo is 5 of my Big 10-12" Confederate Bowies...next is my Alaskan Fighter/Hatchet pair I designed and had made in 1985!
Last photos is 4 little Caper/Skinners I had made ....Many more but you got the "Point"
20210925_104222.jpg
Screenshot_20210827-175159_eBay.jpg
20210922_110849.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.