Show off your 98 mausers

My Siamese mauser, the other 98 lol. This one is a 45-70.
1632964809384.png

1632964849315.png

This English BSA 7x57 is also a Mauser CRF design while not as accurate as the new one, I was shooting half MOA at the range with it on Sunday using Norma URP powder and 150 gr Sierra Game Kings
IMG_1930.JPG
. Late 50's vintage rifle.

This is my "nice" Mauser, newly made M98 in 7x57. Most accurate 7mm I have owned.
View attachment 427774
Nice I would love to even own one of the base priced new 98s. My 09 7x57ai is a real shooter I've shot many one hole groups. That Douglas air gauged barrel does well.

What scope do you have on that new 98.

This English BSA 7x57 is also a Mauser CRF design while not as accurate as the new one, I was shooting half MOA at the range with it on Sunday using Norma URP powder and 150 gr Sierra Game KingsView attachment 427775. Late 50's vintage rifle.
Nice that one is pretty similar to a friend in Sweden, his is a Rigby tho, was his father's. I happen to have a peep sight on the cocking piece his rifle was mjssing, he was very happy when it arrived.

Nice I would love to even own one of the base priced new 98s. My 09 7x57ai is a real shooter I've shot many one hole groups. That Douglas air gauged barrel does well.

What scope do you have on that new 98.
Meopta 3-9x40

9.3 - 2.jpg

9.3 - 2.jpg

@TroyF based upon your original post, a rifle like this is absolutely possible with the base rifle you will have to use. This is a pre-WWII 9.3x62 "guild gun" - built by an unknown gunmaker - on exactly the sort of action you will have. The barrel of this one is octagon to round with rib, but several barrel makers can supply a 9.3 barrel. This rifle had a roll over safety installed when it was converted for scope use. It weighs 8.8 lbs with scope installed and feels much less. It is an awesome option for bear.

View attachment 427781

View attachment 427783
Based upon your original post, a rifle like this is absolutely possible with the base rifle you will have to use. This is a pre-WWII 9.3x62 "guild gun" - built by an unknown gunmaker - on exactly the sort of action you will have. The barrel of this one is octagon to round with rib, but several barrel makers can supply a 9.3 barrel. This rifle had a roll over safety installed when it was converted for scope use. It weighs 8.8 lbs with scope installed and feels much less. It is an awesome option for bear.
Ya that's about the exact rifle I'd like to copy, money is tight but I may take a year or more to build. I've got to find a place to do the checkkering, think I can get it don't for about $250. My 7x57ai I stimppled and I like how it came out. I'll only have money for a leupold freedom 1-4 or similar but that should work. Sights are going to be $250 or. more

At the risk of boring everyone (I've posted this pic several times before)

These are my two 'African rifles'

Both Mauser 98 FNs - top one in 9.3 x 62 and bottom one in 404 Jeff

pair of African rifles.jpg

They are the only ones I take into the bush - not even the Blaser comes with me (unless one day I go for a 458 Lott barrel and bolt in a silly and wild moment)

Don't

don't know if your interested that apex parts place has a withworth magnum stock for $160, be nice if you want to hunt with the gun and not worry about bagging up your nice stock.
The likelihood that I will ever hunt this rifle is about 100-1 against.

View attachment 427781

View attachment 427783
@TroyF based upon your original post, a rifle like this is absolutely possible with the base rifle you will have to use. This is a pre-WWII 9.3x62 "guild gun" - built by an unknown gunmaker - on exactly the sort of action you will have. The barrel of this one is octagon to round with rib, but several barrel makers can supply a 9.3 barrel. This rifle had a roll over safety installed when it was converted for scope use. It weighs 8.8 lbs with scope installed and feels much less. It is an awesome option for bear.
Is that a gradual transition from octagonal to round over the full length of the barrel or is the change at the end of the fore stock. Hard to judge form the pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
009bar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.