Show off your 98 mausers

k maybe a good bear round w/ that long NY season and moose farther NE. Some real deals are to be had in the RSA. "Never say Never!" -Ozzy O.

blame the advent of better cars (from the model A to the Subaru) for the longer commutes to our backyards! it scares me that people who learned how to drive in NYC (light to light, 10 MPH, go/stop/go) are driving on those wide-open highways so crazily in their minivans/suvs....just gtfootw! LOL but i digress. i've lived it...

Ya they still do a bunch, good soil for it. Last year they were growing a bunch of pot, for the cbd oil I guess. I didn't see much this year tho.
i even saw a corn farm in that area that had a sign proclaiming "this corn makes whiskey!" very cool

k maybe a good bear round w/ that long NY season and moose farther NE. Some real deals are to be had in the RSA. "Never say Never!" -Ozzy O.
Ya we have some large bear around, my buddy's son shot one 3 seasons ago that was over 500 field dressed. I seen one walking in the day when driving it looked like a black Angus in the field.

He nice for thicker cover, tho I don't shoot into brush.

My son and his friend hunt the extended season zone of NY relentlessly-they see 'em but only for a moment at dark or out of range with their bows. I went to an NRA dinner with a guy who got the largest bear one year near Fallsburg. They are around and my fishing friends see 'em crossing the D. River from all 3 states all the time....even on the islands in the middle.

blame the advent of better cars (from the model A to the Subaru) for the longer commutes to our backyards! it scares me that people who learned how to drive in NYC (light to light, 10 MPH, go/stop/go) are driving on those wide-open highways so crazily in their minivans/suvs....just gtfootw! LOL but i digress. i've lived it...
My grandparents used to sell vegetables to the city in the 40s-60s and it was a all day thing even then. Leave before Sun up and get home after sun down.

A agree city drivers need to re take there drivers test to drive outside of the city.

i've seen 896, 705, 635 (and 450s-me/son) taken in PA and they are the same bear eating all those blueberries in summer, then crops, fish, dumpster/trashcan diving in the dark....lol love 'em

still have the fam farms but just plant for wildlife and hunting. my elders/ancestors pretty much did the same as yours.

That's probably for the Distillery in pine island or new Hampton.
that was my question-where is the local distillery?...it couldn't be far...hmmm the fields are in pine is.

i've seen 896, 705, 635 (and 450s-me/son) taken in PA and they are the same bear eating all those blueberries in summer, then crops, fish, dumpster/trashcan diving in the dark....lol love 'em
The farm next to the one I hunt killed one close to 1000 pounds 10 or so years ago, shot bow hunting. It was in the gander mountain. But new yorks website says the biggest is only 500 some pounds.

they def get nearly 2x that size!!! it would be good for business to post the real weights.

they def get nearly 2x that size!!! it would be good for business to post the real weights.
Up until 4-5 years ago I never seen any bear in the woods, you had to be in the really thick stuff or Illegally baiting to kill a bear.
I've yet to shoot one I passed on some smaller bear but really want one.

for some reason The bear have Skyrocketed in population, stated the year when nj closed the season. Plus we have soybeans now, they must like that more then corn.
have a bunch of deer, I hit 16 with my truck in 2014 that year.

98 german mauser that was in 8mm and taken by the norwegens at the end of ww-2 and rebarreled to 3006, one of my favorite 98 mausers that i own.

DSCN9567.JPG
DSCN9568.JPG
DSCN9569.JPG
DSCN9570.JPG
DSCN9814.JPG
DSCN9815.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok isn't the 9.3x64 the same as the 68 then. Should be a good boost in power over the 8x57 tho.
Mine is 8mm, not 9.3. The 9.3x64 is another animal altogether and more powerful than the 8x68s as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FB88cs

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?