Shooting an Elephant...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
During this shutdown I have been rereading some books I have. One of them is "African Rifles and Cartridges: The Experiences and Opinions of a Professional Ivory Hunter " by John Taylor.

In this book while talking about larger bore cartridges he mentioned taking a shoulder shot at an elephant, and then finishing him off. He says he has done it multiple times, but it is not something that is talked about.

I personally have done that where the only shot I had was a quartering shoulder shot with a .500 caliber rifle (500 grain solid). The elephant tried to stand, others even tried to prop him up (it was interesting to see), and eventually he laid down and I finished him off with a heart shot. The elephant moved a total of about 15 meters from where shot.

When we talk about Elephants we always talk about either frontal or side brain shots and heart shots. Why not the shoulder shot, it is a legitimate shot for other animals.

So, as John Taylor mentioned in his book, Why not shoulder shots, when the others are not available?

This is an excellent topic. I think it mostly boils down to the PH and his desire to get the animal on the ground quickly. On my hunt while I had envisioned a possible shoulder shot it was never even discussed by the PH. We were hunting adjacent to the Oliphants river directly across from Kruger national park and there was some concern that a wounded animal might cross the river thus ending the hunt. Thankfully my side brain shot was perfect and the bull dropped in his tracks. However, video clearly shows both PHs aiming their doubles at the bull’s shoulder area...no doubt in preparation for a possible heart shot!
I purchased Buzz Charlton’s very comprehensive video on elephant hunting prior to undertaking my hunt. That video went through possible shots and the side shoulder area was on of them.

all of his videos and book make for interesting info.

I have watched his videos though not read the book. I'll ask him to give me one when I am in his camp this August (or whenever).

I have watched his videos though not read the book. I'll ask him to give me one when I am in his camp this August (or whenever).

i hope you can make the hunt!

i hope you can make the hunt!
Thanks, me too. Right now there are two challenges. One is the opening of the area, second one is the situation with SAA. If SAA goes belly up, not only I will lose the tickets which is not a huge deal, but will have no airline to take its place to transport firearms from J'Burg.

I will have to scramble as I already have business tickets from LAX to J'Burg on another airline.

Uncertain times for sure.

Thanks, me too. Right now there are two challenges. One is the opening of the area, second one is the situation with SAA. If SAA goes belly up, not only I will lose the tickets which is not a huge deal, but will have no airline to take its place to transport firearms from J'Burg.

I will have to scramble as I already have business tickets from LAX to J'Burg on another airline.

Uncertain times for sure.

Yep I’m in the same situation. Got to figure out how to get to Windhoek from Joubert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg