Shipping trophies from South Africa - Do not use Dip-Pack LTD

Thanks for the offer, but here is the problem. Still have to deal with taxidermy and shipping issues. Have done some research and can purchase directly through some companies a finished rug with free shipping. Not sure I want someone else's trophy.
For those who try to put a price on any trophy, to the hunter it is priceless!

Yes by the Joberg Airport.

My sister was looking at a a zebra rug and i asked what the rate would be and was told $4,000 USD for the one she was looking at.

Yikes! For 4K I would rather hunt my own!

Jamindux
That is terrible loosing your trophy, Displaying your trophies it is as big part of the safari as the hunt itself, I know everytime I see my trophies brings back memories of one of the best times in my life.
I understand that sometimes there are accidents and things happen specially when shipping from Africa to the US, but what I can't believe is that the company, is not responding to you and accepting responsability.
I know I need to be more careful picking who do I do bussinnes with next time I go to Africa.
Good luck, I know is not the same as your own trophy but I hope you get a resolution.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
i have been unsuccessful in getting Andreas to respond as have others. He offered an explanation the zebra rug stolen once in this country. However, phots upon receiving indicate otherwise.
anything that can be done to help obtain resolution would be most appreciated.
based on responses, I am not the only client with this issue.
again, apologize him miscommunication, new at this
Jamindux, I appreciate that you would like to place a bad post regarding poor service.
Apparently you did not understand the context that Jerome's post.
It is to offer help.
Not as your tone presumes, an implied defence of a member.

Perhaps another method of attempting to resolve your situation positively!
PM. the guy here on AH. Maybe, he'll respond.

AH MEMBERS typically try to help each other out.

Appreciate the response. You are correct, to huntertrophies are priceless. When they are stolen, cannot be replaced.
I understand "accidents can happen" However when a company chooses not to take responsibility and respond clients need to take a hard look as to whether they want to do business with someone like that.
As you can see from threads, this has happened to others.
My strong advice, avoid doing business with Dip-pack at all cost, otherwise it may cost you your trophies.

Jamindux
That is terrible loosing your trophy, Displaying your trophies it is as big part of the safari as the hunt itself, I know everytime I see my trophies brings back memories of one of the best times in my life.
I understand that sometimes there are accidents and things happen specially when shipping from Africa to the US, but what I can't believe is that the company, is not responding to you and accepting responsability.
I know I need to be more careful picking who do I do bussinnes with next time I go to Africa.
Good luck, I know is not the same as your own trophy but I hope you get a resolution.

Jamindux, can we get some more info on your problem? How long ago did you recieve your trophies? What gave you the impression that the container had been opened? Don't mean to sound ignorant just trying to better understand your timeline and situation? There are a lot of people here who can help with your problem. Just need some more info...

When the crate arrived in the country the top bottom and side had been pried open. Pictures were immediately taken and sent to me. Contacted taxidermy company and shipper, they do not deny damage but trying to put the blame on the Custom Clearing house. Makes no sense, they are the one that was notified and took the pictures. If I were more technology literate would post the pictures, but not sure how to do. I may ask someone more knowledgeable.
I do have them saved and can forward via email f or anyone who may be interested.
Adreas from Dip-Pack remains silent despite numerous contacts by several people. Easy to hide on other side of the Atlantic.
Jamindux, can we get some more info on your problem? How long ago did you recieve your trophies? What gave you the impression that the container had been opened? Don't mean to sound ignorant just trying to better understand your timeline and situation? There are a lot of people here who can help with your problem. Just need some more info...

Jamindux,

I have read all the posts and no one seems to want to ask the resolution question

"what exactly is it that you would like?" I mean to say, in your world, what would be the perfect, but reasonable, way to resolve this matter?

If the zebra was stolen, it was indeed a loss and it is your personal trophy, however, I have a suspicion that it is not going to be recovered, So, in that context,

What exactly would you like for Dip and Pack to do to make this "right" and please accept there are human limitations operating here.

Not wanting to be a firebrand or antagonistic, truth be known, I have not one dog in this particular hunt but I do have a little experience in resolving disputes between angry people in emotionally charged settings.

Start out with, "here is how I feel I have been wronged," without casting aspersion or blame, and then move on to
"Here is how I would like you to fix this for me"

And, if you feel comfortable...post it right here for the community to see . . . . I don't think Jerome would mind if it lead to resolution

Yikes! For 4K I would rather hunt my own!

I really agree with Scott on this one James... 4K seems (not a little steep, but a lot steep) Have your sister look up Kwiktan (they have a SA branch and a US branch) I used them for my trophies, the work was done very well and the prices a great. They sell Zebra skin rugs for less than half of what you posted. I think they are in the outfitters section here on this site if I recall.

The short answer is my rug back.
However, I recognize that is probably unrealistic.
In that context, acknowledgement of responsibility, perhaps an apology for the trouble caused and finally options for a solution:
Providing a replacement rug at NO cost to me
An offer to credit my shipping and taxidermy costs(I paid for services without the benefit of the goods)
Just a couple of examples that come be offered.
Please understand, prior to my first ever postings, I tried to resolve this first on my own and then with the help of legal council.
I contacted PH, Big Buck taxidermy, Adreas from Dip-pack shipping and the owner of Fauna and Flora.
I got very few responses and just finger pointing.this was a zebra rug, it certainly did not walk away!i have tried to resolve every way possible to no avail.I do however appreciate your concern and advise.if I am able to have someone help me upload the pictures of the pried open crate, I truly believe my position will be totally justified.
Jamindux,

I have read all the posts and no one seems to want to ask the resolution question

"what exactly is it that you would like?" I mean to say, in your world, what would be the perfect, but reasonable, way to resolve this matter?

If the zebra was stolen, it was indeed a loss and it is your personal trophy, however, I have a suspicion that it is not going to be recovered, So, in that context,

What exactly would you like for Dip and Pack to do to make this "right" and please accept there are human limitations operating here.

Not wanting to be a firebrand or antagonistic, truth be known, I have not one dog in this particular hunt but I do have a little experience in resolving disputes between angry people in emotionally charged settings.

Start out with, "here is how I feel I have been wronged," without casting aspersion or blame, and then move on to
"Here is how I would like you to fix this for me"

And, if you feel comfortable...post it right here for the community to see . . . . I don't think Jerome would mind if it lead to resolution

To 35bore & Sestoppelman

On my sister's and my safari I was able to shoot a Zebra and she will have it tanned with a felt backing for a table covering. And you both are on target it will be a lot cheaper that the $4K price that was put forth.

I really agree with Scott on this one James... 4K seems (not a little steep, but a lot steep) Have your sister look up Kwiktan (they have a SA branch and a US branch) I used them for my trophies, the work was done very well and the prices a great. They sell Zebra skin rugs for less than half of what you posted. I think they are in the outfitters section here on this site if I recall.

Yes, the container was opened somewhere between South Africa and New York.
I will try or have someone help me post the pictures, thanks for the link.
Big buck taxidermy arranged shipment through Dip-Pack, I was not given any options.
I was not aware insurance was required, so I did not have any.
The reality is my rug was stolen, I am aware it will not be recovered.
When the pictures are posted and viewed, I think the issue will be readily apparent.

Jamindux,

Here is a link to post pics. Spells it out for you
http://www.africahunting.com/hunting-forum-technical-help/495-how-post-photos-forum.html#post35643

As for your zebra, I am affraid its gone(I am sure you have already realized this). If I here what you are saying, your container was broken in to on the ship?? And who was responsible for setting up that shipment? Another question (maybe you gave a respond already) is did you have insurance?

So fauna and flora where the first to see the skin was missing? What did the company who owns the boat have to say?

Bottom line is that the guy paid to have his hide prepared AND delivered to the US. That didn't happen so why should he have to pay? He didn't receive the product. If I buy a TV from the furniture store and pay to have it delivered, and it's broken or stolen on the way, guess what.....I'm getting another tv or my money back.
In my opinion, the proper outcome would be- outfitter refund the trophy fee as he recommended the taxidermist, taxidermist refund the taxidermy fee as he recommended the shipper, and shipper refund the portion of the shipping fee for the zebra rug. Everybody loses including the hunter because he still doesn't get his rug, but at least they'd be doing as much as they possible could. This idea of everyone pointing fingers when the final product isn't delivered doesn't work for me and seems all too common in this trade.

Bottom line is that the guy paid to have his hide prepared AND delivered to the US. That didn't happen so why should he have to pay? He didn't receive the product. If I buy a TV from the furniture store and pay to have it delivered, and it's broken or stolen on the way, guess what.....I'm getting another tv or my money back.
In my opinion, the proper outcome would be- outfitter refund the trophy fee as he recommended the taxidermist, taxidermist refund the taxidermy fee as he recommended the shipper, and shipper refund the portion of the shipping fee for the zebra rug. Everybody loses including the hunter because he still doesn't get his rug, but at least they'd be doing as much as they possible could. This idea of everyone pointing fingers when the final product isn't delivered doesn't work for me and seems all too common in this trade.

BAM!!! Hit the nail on the head. Standing ovation smiley please...

It would seem to me as follows:

Clearly this gentleman has been wronged and has been placed at considerable disconvenience as a result of this matter, for that alone he is desrving of a most sincere apology from all concerned;

Secondly, he has been damaged by the loss of his property and should be made whole, that is to say, a replacement article of equal or superior quality should be delivered to his hand at absolutely no expense to him;

Certainly, the foregoing would not "fix" everything and true, it would not be "his" trophy but, in the real world it may be as adequate relief as he may expect or receive.

If those responsible do not venture forth with a remedy equal to or exceeding the above I suggest that they may not really be worth dealing with in the future and, likewise, if such an offer is put forth and the aggrieved party chooses not to accept or hold out for more then I consider he then ventures forth alone and undeserving of further sympathy

Well I think that about wraps this thread up and low and behold I believe I hear the bell .... could be the bar is about to open . . . . How nice for me!

I agree 100 percent. If dip-pack signed up with the ocean freight company to ship his trophies? Than they are the ones that must take care of this. They in turn get their $$ back from the freight company. If freight company does not want to do anything for dip-pack, then you find another freight company. Very simple!!
This is why I have posed so many questions. I was trying to find out exactly when this went bad. Since its on the boat....its the freight companys fault and dip-pack paid them I am guessing.

That is correct, upon entry into this company, fauna and Flora was notified of damage and took pictures.
I t
Tried for almost 2 months to resolve problem on my own and finally contacted attorney.
Absolutely no help from PH, taxidermist or shipping company. Guess it is pretty easy to hide on other side of the Atlantic, especially when you have been paid if full including nice gratuity to PH.
I will attemp to upload pictures so people can see how my crate and trophies were treated.

So fauna and flora where the first to see the skin was missing? What did the company who owns the boat have to say?

Not sure if I replied to this so at the risk of repeating myself, here goes again.
Crate was pried open top, bottom and one side. Will be trying to upload picture which are self explanatory for sure.trophies entered US the day of March and delivered to my home 2 weeks ago.tried for many weeks to resolve through PH, taxidermist and shipping company. Absolutely no help, they have been paid in full and hiding on the other side of the Atlantic.
Please check back to view photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg