Shipping/transporting guns

publius

AH member
Reaction score
I HATE traveling with my guns dealing with the airlines. I don't trust them plus it is just a PITA. Would it be possible to just FEDEX my rifles to a PH in S. Africa and eliminate all that? I completely trust FEDEX.

You would have to use a person in the U.S. with a import/export FFL and the importer in S. Africa would have to have their equivalent of the same. Very time consuming and expensive. Because a person may be a PH doesn't mean he has a license to import/export firearms. Since you apparently just joined our forum today, how often have you hunted in Africa and went through the process of temporarily importing your rifle to hunt?

I HATE traveling with my guns dealing with the airlines. I don't trust them plus it is just a PITA. Would it be possible to just FEDEX my rifles to a PH in S. Africa and eliminate all that? I completely trust FEDEX.
NO ! You will run into export licences, import licences, duty and sales tax at point of entry, customs clearance……. Trust me, been there and had to wade through it all for a client who came shooting in Ireland. Then it all had to be reexported so I could claim back a wad of money from Customs.

Thank you. I have never hunted Africa. I hate air traveling in the U.S. with guns and would be even more nervous internationally traveling with them. I guess it's just part of it.

Thank you. I have never hunted Africa. I hate air traveling in the U.S. with guns and would be even more nervous internationally traveling with them. I guess it's just part of it.

Thousands of hunters travel to Africa every year with their firearms with zero problems. You just need to understand and follow the regulations in the country that you are headed to.

For South Africa the simplest thing to do is to hire a professional firearm service to handle your permits and do a meet and greet at the airport in Joberg. It is actually quite painless.

Enlist the services of an experienced Africa hunting travel agency and it will go smoother than you think.

+1 on a travel agency. It streamlines and simplifies the process beyond imagination. Not to mention if you have questions or troubles you have someone to answer them. I have used Gracy Travel in the past and have been more than satisfied.

After my fourth safari, I got fed up traveling with guns, and from then I use one provided by my Outfitter.

It´s great to travel just like a tourist :A Thumbs Up:

1. It isn't that big of a deal to take your own. Overall, it adds little expense, just pay for the help.
2. Your outfitter and PH likely have very nice rifles they will let you use. I get pretty annoyed when I am charged a rental fee, but their ammo is expensive there, so keep that in mind. You aren't shooting 600 yard matches, using your own rifle because of concern about being able to shoot it better are WAY overrated.

I take my own rifles, I just like doing it, I want them to have stories when they are given to my children. But that is the only reason, being able to hit at dinner plate at 250 yards has near zero to do with the rifle, that's all shooter. If you can do with yours, you can do it with theirs.

If you wish to travel with your own rifles to Africa, we strongly recommend hiring the services of a reputable import assist service. We have been recommending Henry with @riflepermits.com to our clients for many years. The fees are quite reasonable considering the peace of mind you will have knowing that the import process will be handled flawlessly with an experienced professional.

As others have mentioned as well, a second option would be to arrange to hire a rifle from your outfitter. Many African outfitters have quality rifles with excellent optics for hire that will get the job done for you.

Thanks for the answers guys. My main problem is with the U.S. airport personnel. Usually rude, uneducated, and just generally have a chip on their shoulder because they hate their jobs. Having to check a gun just adds to the hassle and I hate doing it. Leasing a plane in the CONUS sucks but is doable. Leasing a big falcon or Gulfstream to go to Africa, not at all! It is what it is though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg