Shipping ammo

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have some ammo that I don’t use and would like to sell if someone can use it. I asked at the post office and they said they don’t ship ammo, so was wondering how you guys are doing it.

Thanks in advance.

Try UPS Or FedEx….. may have to be vague.

I've shipped live ammo (no powder or primers) from my local UPS store several times. Just write ORMD on the box. That designates it as small arms ammo. Check the weight limits.

Agree : UPS is WAAAY easier to ship ammo than FedEx. You must take it to a “hub” facility and definitely have the white diamond w/black bars sticker on the box as well. I’ve shipped a bunch of ammo and never had an issue with UPS.

I have shipped a lot of ammo to AHers. I use UPS but I box and take to local gunshop and pay them to ship it for me. Just an option you might try if your good friends or good customer of theirs. UPS does not have a hub close by so that’s how I do it.

UPS Stores are not supposed to take it. UPS can pick it up right from your front porch - super easy. Just make sure you print out a black/white diamond label and the contents (If I remember right) is "small arms cartridges. I think it cost me about $25 to ship 100 rounds last time I did it.

Do a google search for "shipping ammo ups" and it should take you right to UPS's page with instructions.

The process is surprisingly easy

Agree : UPS is WAAAY easier to ship ammo than FedEx. You must take it to a “hub” facility and definitely have the white diamond w/black bars sticker on the box as well. I’ve shipped a bunch of ammo and never had an issue with UPS.

Agree.
I shipped a full case (480 rounds) of Surplus Swiss 7.5x55 earlier this year at the local UPS hub.

Printed out the diamond sticker online, tapped it to outside of my package and used the in-store computer to identify contents and print label. Took it to the counter and paid.

Some states have special restrictions or requirement for their "subjects" to receive ammo, so some caution there is needed.

I have some ammo that I don’t use and would like to sell if someone can use it. I asked at the post office and they said they don’t ship ammo, so was wondering how you guys are doing it.

Thanks in advance.
UPS shipping Hub. You have to use their special ammunition symbol you can copy online and I have had no trouble whatsoever

I ship ammo regularly with UPS. Typically I use the online postage system and have always used the "flat rate" system of theirs for simplicity. In the section asking what I'm shipping, I note it as "limited qty small arms ammunition". I also have a roll of stickers of the proper hazard logo (look at any case of shells you may have for example, or on their website for reference), but sometimes just draw it on the box with marker if a small box that won't fit sticker.

Once I have a label, it take it to almost any UPS store to drop off. Only 1 has ever told me they don't accept it at their location. Pretty straight forward. I used the UPS website and read instructions for my first shipment

Are you guys paying in advance and just dropping off ammo for pickup at the UPS stores?
Around my neck of the woods, shipping through a store is double or triple what a hub charges.
Ammo, they won't touch with a ten foot pole.

Someone mailed a rifle to my PO Box several years ago. My friend offered to get my mail when he got his and found a package notice in my mailbox. My friend spoke out loud when he saw the box saying something like "well, looks like he got another rifle", to which the clerk replied " it's against the law to mail guns", my friend didn't miss a beat and said "Oh, then it must be a fly rod, he's always buying fly rods" as he walked out the door with the package!

UPS is your friend!

Long guns can be shipped US Postal so long as it's a legal shipment.
You to a FFL dealer; you to a manufacturer's repair center; said repair center back directly to you are examples.

Are you guys paying in advance and just dropping off ammo for pickup at the UPS stores?
Around my neck of the woods, shipping through a store is double or triple what a hub charges.
Ammo, they won't touch with a ten foot pole.
I do pay in advance, using the methods outlined in my post above. Print the label at my house, tape it onto the box, and drop it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngeliaKuy

Latest profile posts

Handmade plaques for all kinds of African trophies. If you are interested, feel free to contact me in a message.
IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.