Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ZPHGA,SOAZ,SCI, ZTA
Hunted
Most countries
I am thinking of offering a few select self guided dangerous game hunts in the omay for 2012. There will be a licensed Zim PH present for legal reasons and the hunts will take place in some of the more remote areas in my concession. My idea is to offer these hunts out of spike camps . Your comments would be appreciated.

Martin

Martin,
This idea has intriguing possibilities! Could you give more details? Would it be similar to a "self guided" hunt here in the states? You would supply: Tents/accomodations? cooking utensils/food? trackers? skinners? PH (Especially if the PH was Scott Bailey. Great PH), permits? Vehicle? game retreival? Basically everything but the cook/camp staff? Would these take place in Omay? What would the price reduction be? While the typical "full blown" safari camp is wonderful to come back too, it's really not required for the guy/guys looking for a great experience at an affordable price. I like probably most, would not mind pitching in to do the cooking/camp chores.

I'm interested! That sounds like a great time.

Martin,

Great idea..............you got mail!:happywave:

I hadn't thought to go back to Africa for a while having just gone this year. This could make me think a more about the possibility. The idea sounds like it could work out. Bruce

If a licensed PH is present, how is it self-guided?

Just to make it legal there is a PH present. Please do flesh this concept out a little further for us all.

After thinking on this just a bit I could sort of see how this thing might work. Perhaps not for the faint of heart or those looking for a vacation but if the price was right, the game was there, a little support was available I could see how something like this might be a real experience, and perhaps even a good experience.

Put me down on the "interested but needs more information" line.

Martin, very innovative thinking and i applaud you on your efforts/attempts of making some DG hunting available for a broader crowd.

I, (as I'm sure you do), appreciate that more hunters would consider DG hunts based from fly-camps that would, to some extent, lower over-all costs as well as providing some of that old-school, traditional hunt "feel".

I'm just not quite sure how the "self-guided" portion would apply, and operate.

Having a PH present (legal requirement), providing tracking staff (practicle requirement), providing a vehicle, camping equipment and trophy recovery/processing facility (logistical requirement) and supplying food stuffs etc contains the majority of existing hunt costs at present, and provides little scope for cost cutting except the physical cost of avoiding lodge accomodation.

I'm quite sure that there would be hunters out there that would appreciate an oportunity to have a far greater "input" in their hunts; strategies, decisions etc but may I be bold enough to suggest that an experienced and knowledgable PH would provide this involvement to his client on a fully guided hunt anyway.

I'm certainly not trying to rag your suggestion in any way, just trying to get my head around the motive.

Is the motive to provide lower cost, traditional aspect, fly-camping DG hunts, or is the motive to provide DG hunts where the client is "driving the bus".

If the client is to be "driving the bus" then this scenario would be limited to those with generous prior experience, some knowledge of the concession to be hunted and the game being pursued which would generally negate the majority who would be seeking the lower cost fly-camp, DG hunt experience.
I understand you are still providing the presence of a PH who will no doubt provide the local knowledge and suggestions and reccomendations and advice but I can not differentiate this from a normal fully guided hunt.

I'm sure you have quite a few details that are yet to be squared out, and input here from hunters would no doubt assist Martin with raising possible issues and making a plan before anything goes ahead.

Again, i would like to repeat that my questions and statements above are not intended to denigrate the proposal, I personally thinks it's a fantastic idea and hope that it materialises into something positive that provides more hunters an oportunity to experience the woderful thrill of hunting DG.

I encourage the many readers here to provide their personal perspective, thoughts and concerns in an effort to assist Martin in developing a unique hunting product that may benifit us all.

Well done Martin, I hope you can work it all out.

This appears to be an exciting new way to hunt Zimbabwe. It would be fun to work out the days hunt with the tracker and execute the plan. I would not do it as my first or second hunt but a hunter with some experience could really enjoy this.

I would doubt the hunt would be any less expensive as it would cost as much if not more to outfit a fly camp and you will still have a licensed PH on the hunt.

I am anxious to see which animals Martin will offer. The Omay is an exciting place to hunt.

I don't know if Martin's concept was to offer a reduced-price DG hunt or not. Many jumped to that conclusion, but that was not stated in the original thread.

My most enjoyable hunts have been self-guided caribou hunts in Alaska. We get a small group of friends, round up all our camping and cooking supplies, and hire a float plane to drop us off on a lake above the Brooks Range and pick us up a week later. Aside from the flight in and out, you are responsible for all aspects of the hunt how far to hike and in what direction, the stalk, the animal, the shot, skinning and deboning, packing the meat back to camp, trophy prep and care, cooking .... The things that can be controlled all rest on you. When it fails, dig around in your bag for a mirror if you want to complain; but when it all comes together and you succeed, it's a great sense of accomplishment.

This is the type of hunting that comes to my mind when someone says "self-guided" and it's easy to envision doing it when you're hunting a member of the deer family, on barren ground tundra where you can see for miles, and the only potential danger may be an unlikely encounter with a grizzly. I have a hard time imagining this style of hunting (what I consider "self-guided") being suitable for the vast majority of hunters who travel to Africa in pursuit of dangerous game. There are certainly those clients who are very capable of hunting DG on their own. I'm not one of them. If the concept is to have a Zim PH in the area for legal reasons, but for the most part allow the client to hunt on their own, you best be very selective with the clients. It could be rough on your reputation if something goes wrong ....

In my opinion, a more appropriate approach that would be suitable to a broader group of clients would be, as you say, a spike camp in a remote area. The Zim PH is still with the client at all times, and there is a tracker or two. The overall staff, however, is very small and the client is much more involved in setting up camp, cooking, skinning, packing and planning the day's hunt. The camp is small, relying mainly on wood fires for cooking, lighting and heating water. It's not really "self-guided" but it offers the client an opportunity to thoroughly hunt a remote area that may otherwise be impractical to hunt from a main camp that has generator power and en suite facilities. Hopefully the trophy potential is greater due to the remoteness of the location. The hunt would more closely resemble those that were written of decades ago, and the client would likely feel a greater sense of accomplishment after having contributed more than a trigger jerk (sorry, I meant pull). April 15?

In my opinion, a more appropriate approach that would be suitable to a broader group of clients would be, as you say, a spike camp in a remote area. The Zim PH is still with the client at all times, and there is a tracker or two. The overall staff, however, is very small and the client is much more involved in setting up camp, cooking, skinning, packing and planning the day's hunt. The camp is small, relying mainly on wood fires for cooking, lighting and heating water. It's not really "self-guided" but it offers the client an opportunity to thoroughly hunt a remote area that may otherwise be impractical to hunt from a main camp that has generator power and en suite facilities. Hopefully the trophy potential is greater due to the remoteness of the location. The hunt would more closely resemble those that were written of decades ago, and the client would likely feel a greater sense of accomplishment after having contributed more than a trigger jerk (sorry, I meant pull).

I agree Shakey, I'd do this sort of hunt in a second! The only trigger involved, however, would be attached to a bow release. This is definitely the style of hunting I prefer.

I doubt I ever will have the money to go on a DG hunt, but if I ever should get the money for it, a "self guided" hunt is what I would want to do.
How much staff must you have during a "self guided" DG hunt?
What does the law demand?
Is just a PH enough or is it demanded that you bring more people?

Put me in a simple tent for some weeks in a remote area in the African bush together with a PH that walks behind me and maybe a tracker, clean water to drink and some game to shoot for food while hunting DG and I will be the most happy person in the world:D

I would definitely be interested in such a hunt provided the cost was lower. As an experienced hunter and former guide (north america), who has hunted alone since I was maybe 8 or 9 (pellet gun for rabbits, walking right from home) the main skills I would lack are snake watching ability (no snakes here) and judging a good hard boss. Im sure your PH would have plenty of insight into that though. For me cost is the biggest obsticle to DG hunts and I am far more interested in hunting than living in the lap of luxury or being waited on hand and foot on safari, I feel uncomfortable not helping out. Im intrigued. This thread has been dead for awhile, did this idea ever go anywhere Martin?

Put me in a simple tent for some weeks in a remote area in the African bush together with a PH that walks behind me and maybe a tracker, clean water to drink and some game to shoot for food while hunting DG and I will be the most happy person in the world

Most happy person in the world? Care to wrestle for that title? LOL....and even that would be part of the experience!

This is an old thread that I stumbled upon, but I am wondering how has it worked out?
Do we have any feedback?

I'm intrigued by this as well. Was this supposed to be where the client does the decision making of the hunt itself instead of just following a PH and shooting when told to, with the PH there as a safety backup of course? I could definitely go for that though I'm not sure how practical it would be on most DG. Buffalo with the right client I could see. I will volunteer as the guinea pig.

Great idea.....just do it....real hunters will jump on it....good luck

It was offered 10 years ago...

Still a great idea. I wonder if he ever tried it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!