Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Daughter and I will be hunting SA 2019(If it ever gets here) we have friends in a small village in Southern Tanzania. I have found a airport 2-3 hours away from the village. Is it pretty safe to rent a 4x4 and drive? I see a lot of places where you get a driver with the car. Would like it to be just the two of us. But want to be safe as well. There is a bus from Dar to the village but it's 11 hours. Not something that sounds like fun.

Any ideas?

presume you will fly to dar from sa?.....then what are the flights from dar to this airport? as you not going till 2019 forget any schedule there is now and possibly even the air company if one flies there,and its not just charters.....you arent very specific where the airport is or the village is...... as for hiring a car from an airport that isnt one of the major ones good luck . basically i would say forget it as i dont think you have thought it through ............

I too think you should ask the people you know who live there.

Reactions: ack
presume you will fly to dar from sa?.....then what are the flights from dar to this airport? as you not going till 2019 forget any schedule there is now and possibly even the air company if one flies there,and its not just charters.....you arent very specific where the airport is or the village is...... as for hiring a car from an airport that isnt one of the major ones good luck . basically i would say forget it as i dont think you have thought it through ............
Spike, since it is a former German colony, is German not the primary language?

English and Swahili are the two primary languages spoken in Tanzania. I've actually never heard anyone speak German there (i am sure someone there does.. I've just never heard it spoken there :) ).

For the OP. The absolute finest meal I have ever eaten in Africa was in Dar. There is a restaurant not too far from the US Embassy called "addis in dar". The cost is extremely reasonable, and the Ethiopian food is simply incredible. If you're passing through Dar don't miss an opportunity to eat there. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it!

It is posible to rent a car along with a driver. I would wait until your closer to the date to organise, 2019 is a long way off.
However you can't just arrive at the airport and hope to rent a car as there a no hire companies located at the airport unlike some other countries. I can also assist you as I have people working with me in the tour sector and can arrange an english speaking driver/guide along with the 4x4 vehicle.
You could do a search on the internet.
Remember that while english is the official language in TZ that in most rural areas Swahili is what people speak. I am sure you will be fine and tZ is generally a safe country. Please let me know if you need more help or information.

You can hire either a vehicle or a vehicle with a driver in both Dar and Arusha. Other locations might be more difficult. Driving cross country in Tanzania is pretty safe. Get off the roads prior to dark would be a good rule to follow.

You probably don't want to take the bus for 11 hours unless you are adventurous. Seats will be oversold and you will be very crowded. You will also notice aromas you may never realize existed. You may check to see if the railroad runs close to where you are going. You should be able to get your own compartment, but the train is not always on time and has periodic mechanical problems. You do not want to set in general seating since it is similar to being on the bus.

Flying in to the location 2-3 hours away might be the best thing. Having your friends pick you up at the airport might be the best way to go.

I agree that asking your friends what they recommend might be best.

If you want to pm me more details, I might be able to give you better ideas.

Tanzania was a German colony from apx. 1890-1918. It became a League of Nations(Later U.N.) mandated protectorate, administered by Great Britain from 1918-1961.(Independence) Swahili is the primary language. English is a distant second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you