Searcy Nitro 577 Express would like to sell

So I should ask $15k for it then?

Just to be clear. No you should not charge 15k for that rifle. It seems much nicer than the 15k rifle in the other forum. Call butch and do some research. If you need 15k that bad and do not want to do the research I will buy it from you but know that I believe that gun is worth more than that.

PM sent

First, I just want to say thank you for all of you being so kind to a clueless daughter and pointing me in the right direction. I obviously know I won't get near probably what it's worth, but I would like to try and get a reasonable offer and not get ripped off. This deserves to go to someone who can appreciate it as much as my dad did. My dad taught me how to shoot with a .22 when I was a small girl and would take me to the range every once in a while, but he would never let me shoot this one, even when I begged lol. Anyway, I emailed Butch Searcy so I can see what he says. I will keep you all in the loop. Thanks again for all of your kind words, condolences and advice, it is appreciated more than you know.

Gents, the opinions of what the gun is worth need to be tempered.

There are a few ways to derive value:

-1. Compare it to other .577NEs. That's a bad plan as described above, a Searcy .577 woud be the least expensive .577 I can think of so comparing to a H&H or a Heym is foolhardy.

-2. Compare it to asking prices others have asked for at retail on the net. Also a bad plan because they have high pressure sales, layaway, take credit cards, provide trade-ins, and are always ready to wheel and deal from asking price to selling price.

-3. Comparing it to gun traders that ask huge money for guns but do not buy guns. The top-5 gun dealers in the nation that might carry this gun NEVER buy guns for anything above 1/5th of retail. All those glorious guns at astronomical prices are consigned. They have no skin in the game so they advertise high, tell the prospective customer to put in a low ball offer, then pressure the seller to discount deeply. In the end, the consignee is incented to sell it at any price because they get 20%+ commission and they never take a loss as they weren't offering money in the first place.

-4. Private party cash value. We can say what it is worth all day long on these forums but a value with a cash offer is really the only offer that matters. Prior sales on this forum are a good gauge as well, knowing that the guns probably sold from 80% to 100% of last advertised price in a real-world transaction.

So what's a Searcy worth? His replacement costs are in that $15,000-$30,000 pricepoint. His guns have improved in quality over the years so the newer guns are significantly, significantly better than the older guns. (many of the older guns were built on Japanese 20 gauge shotgun frames that cost $800 as a donor) The other problem with Searcy is he is a personality. Butch has many loyal friends as I've seen on other forums. He also has enemies. Enemies were created by his unwillingness to honor his warranties as was made evident by a seller named Matt on this forum with a worthless .465NE that Butch utterly destroyed in a haphazard repair and then jumped on this forum to say "I will never service this gun for anyone" which made the gun go from a $5000 gun down to a $3000 gun with a cloud over its head.

In short, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it as always. It appears to be a nice, functional, inexpensive .577 if the word inexpensive can ever be associated with something worth many thousands of dollars.

First, I just want to say thank you for all of you being so kind to a clueless daughter and pointing me in the right direction. I obviously know I won't get near probably what it's worth, but I would like to try and get a reasonable offer and not get ripped off. This deserves to go to someone who can appreciate it as much as my dad did. My dad taught me how to shoot with a .22 when I was a small girl and would take me to the range every once in a while, but he would never let me shoot this one, even when I begged lol. Anyway, I emailed Butch Searcy so I can see what he says. I will keep you all in the loop. Thanks again for all of your kind words, condolences and advice, it is appreciated more than you know.
Sorry about thinking it was at the level of a H&H. People here know what they`re talking about...I know...google.From what I can gather,you wont have any trouble getting in the vicinity of 15K.Your Father had fine taste in firearms.I,and we all,wish you well.

-1. Compare it to other .577NEs. That's a bad plan as described above, a Searcy .577 woud be the least expensive .577 I can think of so comparing to a H&H or a Heym is foolhardy.

-2. Compare it to asking prices others have asked for at retail on the net. Also a bad plan because they have high pressure sales, layaway, take credit cards, provide trade-ins, and are always ready to wheel and deal from asking price to selling price.

-3. Comparing it to gun traders that ask huge money for guns but do not buy guns. The top-5 gun dealers in the nation that might carry this gun NEVER buy guns for anything above 1/5th of retail. All those glorious guns at astronomical prices are consigned. They have no skin in the game so they advertise high, tell the prospective customer to put in a low ball offer, then pressure the seller to discount deeply. In the end, the consignee is incented to sell it at any price because they get 20%+ commission and they never take a loss as they weren't offering money in the first place.

-4. Private party cash value. We can say what it is worth all day long on these forums but a value with a cash offer is really the only offer that matters. Prior sales on this forum are a good gauge as well, knowing that the guns probably sold from 80% to 100% of last advertised price in a real-world transaction.

So what's a Searcy worth? His replacement costs are in that $15,000-$30,000 pricepoint. His guns have improved in quality over the years so the newer guns are significantly, significantly better than the older guns. (many of the older guns were built on Japanese 20 gauge shotgun frames that cost $800 as a donor) The other problem with Searcy is he is a personality. Butch has many loyal friends as I've seen on other forums. He also has enemies. Enemies were created by his unwillingness to honor his warranties as was made evident by a seller named Matt on this forum with a worthless .465NE that Butch utterly destroyed in a haphazard repair and then jumped on this forum to say "I will never service this gun for anyone" which made the gun go from a $5000 gun down to a $3000 gun with a cloud over its head.

In short, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it as always. It appears to be a nice, functional, inexpensive .577 if the word inexpensive can ever be associated with something worth many thousands of dollars.You sir,have (as best I can tell) have just given the best run down of the value of this firearm......I`ll slink away in he corner now...and convince myself that my Google search is......
If it`s OK.....I would like to say...I should never have looked up a H&H.577 and given an opinion.

Time for me to shut up and listen.
It's totally fine, my father gave me a round about idea of what it was worth, of course worth more to those who actually hunt and shoot them. Thanks :)

It's totally fine, my father gave me a round about idea of what it was worth, of course worth more to those who actually hunt and shoot them. Thanks :)
I wish you luck mate,and I hope you get a good price and it finds a good home amongst those who hunt the bigness.

I’ve never seen nicer wood. You’ve had one offer to buy for $15,000. If you want to move it in a timely fashion, I would accept that offer and be done with it.

$15,000-$20,000 is the right number depending on variables.

I suspect if these are legitimate buyers and they are willing to step up past their initial offers, and the seller is reasonable with the realities of private sales and cash offers, a fair deal can be had for everyone that wouldn't dishonor the memory of the owner.

In short, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it as always. It appears to be a nice, functional, inexpensive .577 if the word inexpensive can ever be associated with something worth many thousands of dollars.
What he said.

$15,000-$20,000 is the right number depending on variables.

I suspect if these are legitimate buyers and they are willing to step up past their initial offers, and the seller is reasonable with the realities of private sales and cash offers, a fair deal can be had for everyone that wouldn't dishonor the memory of the owner.

Spot on.

That seems like the best possible advice for both seller and interested buyers.

First my condolences on the loss of your father. Next as to the gun, Mr Searcy did not make a lot of friends on this forum, including me. The other problem that I see for you is - he is a one man shop and when he is with your father, it’s going to be very difficult to have that gun serviced. I would sell it sooner then later. The wood on your gun is very nice, which should help with the sale. I would agree that 15-25 range would be fair and take whatever you can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!