Scope for M70 .416 Rem

Timeoff2fish

Reaction score
I recently purchased a SC/FN Winchester M70 in .416 Remington and I need a scope for it. This will be my first dedicated DG rifle.

The main use for this rifle will be a Cape Buffalo hunt someday. In the meantime it will see some use with feral hogs in the South Carolina swamps. I am considering two scopes, the Leupold VX6 1-6 illuminated and the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 EE. The scopes retail for about $995 and $2400 respectively. The Leupold has 3.8 inches of eye relief, while the Swarovski has 4.7. I will hopefully be loading 400 grain A-Frames at ~2400 fps if they shoot well out of it, so in other words not a reduced load.

While I can afford the Swarovski, the Leupold is significantly less in price, and I don't like to blow money into the wind unnecessarily for pure caché. I have several Zeiss Conquests and Diavaris (no personal experience with Leupold or Swaro) on my other rifles, but I like the extra zoom range of the above scopes (the Zeiss is 1.1-4), and if I'm going to pay Diavari prices I might as well opt for the Z6i EE with its longer eye relief (again the Zeiss falls comparatively short of both scopes at 3.5 inches).

How important is that extra inch of eye relief for a .416? Is 3.8 sufficient?

Is the cost of the Swaro justified vs the Leupold?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the two scopes and can rank their low light capability, illuminated reticle, durability, and clarity?

Thanks,
Timeoff2fish

Last edited:
I know which scope I would buy, it would be the Leupold, I love the Swarovski but I can't justify the $2400.

I have both Swaro and Leup VX-3. I can tell you that the difference between the two dosen't warrant the price jump. I have a Leupold on my Lott and have never had an issue with the eye relief and the rifle is only 8.5lbs scoped.

I have both Swaro and Leup VX-3. I can tell you that the difference between the two dosen't warrant the price jump. I have a Leupold on my Lott and have never had an issue with the eye relief and the rifle is only 8.5lbs scoped.

agreed, my 416 Rigby has a VX6 1-6 , I prefer it to the swarofski as well

Another vote for Leupold! And knowing that IF that .416 rattles it apart that Leupold will take care of it for a lifetime is a bonus too. Swarovski may do the same, but I know that the Leopold customer service is great.

My Win M70 in 416 Rem wears a 2-7x33 VXII in Leuopold QD mounts.

Never had a problem with the return to zero, target acquisition, or change of impact from recoil or bouncing around on the seat or gun rack of the hunting vehicle .

I would go with the leupold. It will do the same job, to the same standard as Swarovski. With the money you save there is another trophy fee for something.

Both make great glass and will last a lifetime. The Swarovski will have better light gathering at dawn and dusk. However, this is not very important as you would never be shooting a buffalo at first light as you would be looking for spoor and tracking and would almost always be on your way back to the truck by late afternoon or earlier.

I would go with the VX6, I have both those scopes in 2-12 versions and in some ways like the Leupold better. But especially for the price it becomes an easy choice.

My M70 416 rem mage is currently wearing a Trijicon 1-4 but I would not heasitate to go with a VX6 1-6, and may swap it out for one if I find another use for the Trijicon.

I have a Win M70 and I intend to put a VX-6 1-6x24 (firedot) on the rifle. I don't see the eye relief being an issue if you set the scope up properly.

my only gripe about the VX-6 1-6x24 (firedot) is that its too heavy at about a pound. but in my opinion the M70 in 416 RM is too light at 9 pounds flat. so you take the rifle, mounts, rings, and scope and you end up with a proper weight of just under 10.5 pounds (my complete setup weighs 10 pounds 5 ounces).

-matt

Thanks for the replies... Looks like an overwhelming nod for the Leupold.

Two other questions:

1.) would a 2-12 x 42 be a better choice for a .416? Seems like the 1-6 covers the role of a .416 quite nicely.

2.) what height detachable Talley rings for either scope with the barrel contour of FN Safari Express M70 ... Low, extra low, or something else?

the 1-6x24 is perfect the 416! you will never need more then 6x with that cartridge and 1x is ideal for DG.

im still trying to figure out what mounts i want to use for my rifle (Win M70 in 416 RM). im trying Leupold medium QD 30mm rings with leupold bases first. i can let you know if that works out this weekend.

-matt

as matt says , 1-6

take a look at the VX3 2.5-8 as well

I like the 2-12 on my 375 for some longer shots on PG but even there the 6x is probably enough. On a 416 6x should be plenty and as Matt mentioned, you should have the 1x available.

If budget and weight are not concerns, I would stay with the VVX6 over the VX3 models. VX 3's are great scopes, but the VX6's take it up a level, esspecialy for DG. Next level glass quality, wider field of views, more light coming through/brighter view, and illuminated reticle at a very reasonable cost for what you get.

I used Warn QD low Mounts on my model 70. I think supervlows would cause issues with bolt handle clearance.

the VX-3 1.5-5x20 would also be a good option if you don't want to spend the money on the VX-6.

ActionBob, did you run into any trouble with the iron sights taking up your field of view using the low rings? I was going to use medium rings to get a better view over the irons.

-matt

Matt;
Yes, on 1x the front sight and barrel is fully visible. Ghosts at 2x and you would have to look for it at 4x. My M70 375 has the VX6 2-12 mounted very low and it does show a ghost of the front sight at 2x then goes away as the power is turned up.

But it never bothers me when shooting, and cannot recall even seeing it when hunting as I am focused on the animal.

I think it is a personal preference as the lesser of the evils... I really like to have my scopes mounted as low as possible so I live with the other issue. Of course the irons could also be removed.... But probably not what many of want to do on a DG rifle.

got it mounted at the range today. its a Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 with FireDot, mounted with Leupold quick detach medium 30mm rings and Leupold Winchester Express quick detach bases (you must use Express bases). the rifle weighs exactly 10.5 pounds with the scope mounted, which I feel is a good weight for the cartridge.

low rings would have worked but I kinda like medium rings when Im mounting a scope on a rifle with iron sights.

-matt

Attachments

• DSCN0818_zps9bbcf7e1.jpg
    DSCN0818_zps9bbcf7e1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 617
Last edited by a moderator:
Damn Matt, now I'm jealous of your setup(y)

Does anyone have any experience with the Meopta R2 1-6x24?

Specs:
Model Riflescopes MeoStar R21-6x24 RD
Compare

Magnification (x)

Objective lens (mm)

Main Tube Size (mm)

Exit Pupil Diameter (mm)

Eye relief (mm)

Field of View at (°)

Field of view (m/100m)

Focal Plane Position

Dioptric compensation (D)

Daylight Transmission - typical (%)

Impact Per Click (cm/100m)

Windage and Elevation Adjustment Range (MOA)

Paralax Correction (y/n)
no

Weight (oz)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg