Scope for CZ 550 in 375?

Dunk550

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a long time reader of this forum and it seems to me that there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here. I have recently bought a cz 550 in 375 H&H and now I am looking for a scope. I am looking for something up to 8x but I don't think I would want to go higher but I could live with less. I am hoping to stay in the 300 dollar range. Is there a scope that fits this or am I just dreaming? Thanks.

Welcome to AH Dunk550!
Personally I would rather you spend more on your optics than your rifle. You can almost always make a rifle shoot well enough, but there is nothing you can do with poor cheap optics. Maybe you could find a good used 1-4x such as the Bushnell 1.25-4x 4500 (originally sold for over $500). I used one on a Kodiak hunt and the red dot was nice to see in the rain.
Good luck and maybe someone else has an option for you.

I don’t know where you intend to hunt but I personally would not put my faith in a scope costing $300 new.
There are plenty of good scopes around second hand. I picked up a Zeiss Diavari,3-9x36the old one with the rubber on the objective bell,for €300 and a Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42 for a similar price.
I have on occasion shelled out considerably more for new scopes.

Welcome to AH Dunk550!
Personally I would rather you spend more on your optics than your rifle. You can almost always make a rifle shoot well enough, but there is nothing you can do with poor cheap optics. Maybe you could find a good used 1-4x such as the Bushnell 1.25-4x 4500 (originally sold for over $500). I used one on a Kodiak hunt and the red dot was nice to see in the rain.
Good luck and maybe someone else has an option for you.

Good point Ridgewalker and I agree.
Going fir a relatively hard recoiling rifle I’d certainly buy quality.

Welcome to AH! I scoped my .375 with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x . My back up scope is an old Leupold Vari-x II 2-7x that I have owned for over 20 years and have complete confidence in. I have over 300 rounds on the VX3i both on the range and in the field, I would make the same choice again.

Welcome aboard!

I put a Leupold VXR 2x7x33 on mine .375. Great scope for the money, around $500. Sot buff at 50 yards and waterbuck at 200 yards no problems

Wow thanks for all the responses. I will start looking into some leupolds. I thought the 300 dollar range might be wishful thinking.

I'm a Believer in Leupold as well as the Nikon Monarch series, the magnification depends on what the intended use of the rifle is. My Jeff uses a Leupold VX3 1.75x5, My 375 is set for plains Game and uses a High magnification Leupold VX2 6x18(old eyes)

3x9 leupold, .375 H&H CZ 550, used on five trips to Africa. never lost zero or failed to work.

DSCN2040.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Have 2.5-8x VX3 on my 550 in 416 Rigby. Just under 120 thru it with no issues. Gone thru a few flights in a 1750 as well as two UPS shipments and has had no ill effects on zero.

Dunk550 welcome to the Forum. Good choice in rifle.

Leupold VX 3 in 2-7 or 2.5-8 would be the lowest quality scope I would use on a 375. Be wary of the lower priced Zeiss as some have had the glue or what ever it is melt when in hot environments. Don't know if this was just a bad batch.

I run Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 on my 375H&H, Aimpoint 9000L and Trijcon 1.25-4x24on my 416 Rigby. What I am saying is, save your dollars and buy the better quality scope you can. Leupold is a good start.

I have a Leopold VX-3i 1.5-5 on my .375
I think I paid about $350 for it a Cabellas on sale, regular price is $400

Very nice scope. I choose the low power on the advice of the PH who said I would not be taking shots much over 100 yards. More important he said was field of view at 15 yards. I ended up shooting my buffalo at about 20 yards. The brush was so thick I never saw a buffalo over 40 yards away in 4 days of hunting.
The only thing I would have maybe changed is if I could go back, I would have bought a 30mm tube and gotten an illuminated reticle.
Snap shooting at 20 yards in dim light, my eyes could use a bit of help. As it was, an illuminated reticle could have shaved about .5 seconds off the shot.

Unfortunately Leupold discontinued the VX-3 1.75-6x32. Maybe sales were slow on them. I have one with a Custom Shop German #4 and it is one of my favorite scopes.

There is definitely more than one way to skin a cat. My method is to buy the nicest scope I can possibly afford for my rifles. That means sometimes having a combination where the scope costs more than the rifle such as with my VX-3 1.75-6x32. It works for me.
kv3kuF2.jpg

Attachments

• kv3kuF2.jpg
    kv3kuF2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 397
I have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9 on my CZ 550 in .375 H&H. I originally put it on with Warne quick detach rings and figured I would upgrade the scope some time. It’s still on the rifle three years later and I have had no problems at all with it.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts on the matter I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice. I now definitely see the value of going for a more robust scope and I would rather get a quality piece of kit than go into the field with sub par equipment. I'll start researching some leoupolds and see what I can find.

Lynx LX3 1-6x24 Hunter

Brilliant Optics
Extra low dispersion glass and the latest anti-reflective lens coating technology gives brilliant image clarity and brightness.

Versatile Six-Ratio Magnification
1 to 6 magnification range is ideal for fast close‐up dangerous game hunting as well as bush veld hunting at moderate‐range up to 300 m. The long eye-relief keeps the scope a safe distance from your brow when in the shooting position and the 95 mm long mountable area of the straight‐through objective‐side tube makes the scope easy to mount at the safe and correct distance from your eye over even the longest actions.

Tough-As-Nails
Recoil tested on .450 Rigby and .505 Gibbs amongst others, LX3 1-6x24 is suitable for everyday use on any bush veld calibre. The reticle, usually the most fragile component in any rifle scope and the most likely component to fail under severe or bi‐directional recoil, is 6mm thick glass which means it is for all practical purposes indestructible. The 30mm thick-walled scope tube is contoured specifically to fit over long actions and, when the scope is correctly mounted and proper shooting posture is observed, the 100mm-plus eye relief will make sure that a safe distance is maintained between your brow and the scope eyepiece at all times.

German No.4 Reticle with Illuminated Dot
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 10.31.20 AM.png

Thick outer bars lead the eye to the centre finer cross, which has a tiny illuminated aiming point. The centre opening can be used to bracket a fast moving target for snap-shooting while the bold outer posts are easily visible against mottled shadow vegetation, even in poor light.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg