Sandhill crane hunting in Texas guide recommendation

Mike B. 216

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
United States
Looking for guide recommendations for late season sandhill crane hunting in Texas.
Thanks,
Mike

Im pretty sure @gizmo does ribeye of the sky hunts... I'd give him a holler..

Feet Down Outfitters is in New Mexico but they are worth checking, I think they do hunts in Texas as well. I had a taxidermy client hunt with them and he gave them rave reviews

Feet Down Outfitters is in New Mexico but they are worth checking, I think they do hunts in Texas as well. I had a taxidermy client hunt with them and he gave them rave reviews
Thanks, I will check them out.

Blackfoot in Lubbock, limited out in 15 minutes the first morning and probably 35 on the second morning. Good outfit.

You might also want to reach out to Scott of Coastal Prairie Outdoors. I know him from around town. I’ve never hunted with him but know a bunch of guys who swear by him. If he can’t put you on birds he’ll tell you and also point you in the direction of who you should speak with.

He chases birds every day of the year the season is open. Went out the next day after having a heart attack on opening day and was texting his guys making sure stuff was going good for the clients the same day while laid up in a hospital bed.

Will Granby, Avian Skies on the middle Texas coast. I’ll second Blackfoot out of Lubbock area. Roger Rowe, Webfoot connection out of Rochester/knox city/Haskell/Abilene areas. If you want to go north of Amarillo, got a good one there too.

Excuse my dumb question.....the only cranes I know are protected.....
Talking of flying ribeye sounds like they are good eating....
Please share some info and forgive my ignorance....

They are a big, tough bird... about 5' wingspan and they can stand as much as 5' tall.. their meat is red and cooks more similar to beef than most fowl (hence being called "ribeye of the sky".. they are a migratory bird that are hunted during waterfowl season here in the US.. they are allowed to be hunted (not a protected species).. but in most places the bag limit is very low (not that you need a lot of them.. you get a lot of meat out of one bird..

1674069602645.png

1674069624445.png

you actually have to be careful with them.. they can be pretty hard to kill with a shotgun.. and wounded ones have been known to go after retrieving dogs and do some pretty significant injury to them..

WOW!! Never new that....thanks for sharing....those steaks look awesome....

Muddy Water is the best in the north part of the state. Honest, hardworking outfit. They will put you on birds
Looking for guide recommendations for late season sandhill crane hunting in Texas.
Thanks,
Mike

I was one of the first out of state clients to hunt with Final Descent Outfitters 7+ years ago before the number of guide services exploded. They just keep getting better, you cannot find anyone that tries harder and they're extremely knowledgable and have the land access to give an amazing experience.

Sandhill Cranes & Geese Delta Junction, Alaska 2022

tempImage6Dvy0n.jpg

You can hunt sand hill cranes in certain states

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you