Same outfitter or try something new?

OK, I think the last few posts are very helpful in providing some insight and may actually go back, at least in part, to the point Jaco has made about the power of the internet affecting how people may shop for and book hunts.
There are probably too many different scenarios to imagine, but here's a few seemingly common ones to ponder. Particularly interested in the PH point of view.
Scenario 1: Client X has hunted South Africa for plains game and plans to go back. His buddy tells him about his hunt with another outfit, maybe in a province not yet visited, and it sounds like an absolute blast! Says to self, I want to do that hunt! Maybe it is because of the province being hunted, the size of the property, the species available, accommodations and atmosphere or maybe the PH just specializes in spear hunting warthog at night from their holes ;) At any rate, Client X just wants to go on that hunt with that outfitter or PH. Completely understandable.
Question 1: Is there anything for Client X to do beyond booking the hunt? Any courtesy that should be extended to a prior PH?
Question 2: As a PH, do you feel slighted when this happens?
Scenario 2: Client Y has hunted several southern Africa countries before for PG and DG with his long time trusted PH and friend. Let's say SA, Namibia and Zimbabwe. Client Y has finally amassed enough of a fortune to be able to hunt Bongo, Lord Derby Eland and/or Sitatunga. He's ready to get serious and book the hunt. Research has been done and Client Y has a list of what (Bongo), when (January or February), where (CAR, Congo or Cameroon), how (Rifle).
Question 1: How would you proceed as the client?
Question 2: How would the PH's like to see their long time client and friend proceed?
Scenario 3: Client Z has hunted Namibia twice for plains game with 2 different outfitters. First trip didn't go as planned and Client Z was not happy with the experience, so he booked his next trip with a different outfit and had a great trip, a great PH and plans to hunt with the PH again. Client Z wants his next safari to be for free range Cape Buffalo, Leopard, Sable and miscellaneous plains game. Possibly in a country other than Namibia. Client Z knows that there are probably a number of outfits in a few different countries that offer what he is looking for, but is not sure which one is the RIGHT one. He has many options of how he could proceed. Search the internet, go to SCI & DSC shows and talk to the PH's, call his last PH and ask for help and advice, contact a booking agent and request info on possible hunts, start asking his hunting buddies, etc.
Question 1: How would you as the prospective client proceed?
Question 2: How do the PH's hope their prior clients will proceed?

Not sure these are great scenarios but they seem like they would be fairly common. Curious to see how different the hopes and expectations of the PH's might be from how clients do their hunt shopping/booking and what loyalty is expected/extended.

With that point of view I couldn't hunt with Limcroma because I've already hunted SA with others that did a good job and yet I'd like to.

Jeff,
I'm not sure what you took from my post to arrive at your conclusion? Possibly I didn't express my point well enough, and if so, I apologize..... I too have hunted with other African outfitters before establishing my relationship with Limcroma. I had good safaris and I enjoyed myself enough to know that I wanted to come back to hunt Africa as often as possible. That said, none of other outfitters I had hunted with previously were the total package in the terms what they could offer me in future hunts with them. When I finally found that outfitter in Limcroma, I personally felt no need or desire to hunt with another outfit.

So, if you are telling me that you had a great experience with a particular outfitter that exceeded your expectations in every way, and they also had the concessions, the game options, the ability to hunt in many different provinces & countries, the experience, the knowledge, and most importantly the right chemistry, then I guess that I would question why you would look for a different outfitter to hunt with in the future.

I can only assume, that although you enjoyed your previous safaris, these outfits that you hunted with can not provide you with the future options that you are looking for? I see that you are a traditional bow hunter. I would welcome the opportunity to chat with you. We accommodate many traditional bow hunters each season. I'm certain we can provide you with some challenging and fun hunting on your next safari.

Last edited:
I have 7 trips over and only rebooked with one outfitter, in RSA. While each hunt had its issues, some minor, some not, I like the idea of seeing other countries and operations. As posted earlier, Africa is sooo big, its a shame to see only one outfitters small corner of it.

Bill hence ph's like myself who operate any areas, allow me to let you in on a secret as far as knowledge of an area goes, any PH is only as good as his tracker, the rest is basic my friend.

Judging a bongo.... Is not rocket science for us who know the horn shape already (like nyala) judging lord derby we judge eland allot so judging a 47" not that hard I have shot 40" eland before...

Not as complicated for an experienced professional Hunter as we think.

I think we are flinging darts all around the bulls eye.
Many clients will never rebook no matter how happy they were, they want to sleep with a new woman every time... Hey and that's some clients African "Affair" (which I maintain is an Internet based thing)

Then you get the old faithfulls I like to hunt those clients we build up a good relationship due to the camaraderie shared created by sharing special experiences in multiple countries, hunts or just one animal.

My best always

I hear you jaco and I was not meaning hunting skill as in judging horns and stuff. I do agree with the tracker part also as they can make or break an trip.

But even trackers have limits and the knowledge of areas can bring them limits out. A tracker that hunts desert areas must of his life will be great in the desert just as one who hunts swamps would be great there. Switch there areas and both will not be as great as on there home land. They both may get the job done but some are better in certain areas over another.

I would bet your much better at moz now then your first year hunting there. Learning a new area and animal movement over time will only make you better. Must of your skills will work in any place you decide to hunt. With that said someone who has hunted an area for 10 years for whole hunting seasons will have a better idea then someone who has hunted it once or twice over 10 years.

I am not saying the hunt may not work out and be a great hunt but everyone and that even means me or you jaco has there limits on who is best for that job. For me a once and life time hunt I am looking for the best guy for the job no matter how good of friends I am with anyone or how much business I have done with them. As a client of outfitter x I would hope they would understand why I would use outfitter Y for that hunt.

Bill hence ph's like myself who operate any areas, allow me to let you in on a secret as far as knowledge of an area goes, any PH is only as good as his tracker, the rest is basic my friend.

Judging a bongo.... Is not rocket science for us who know the horn shape already (like nyala) judging lord derby we judge eland allot so judging a 47" not that hard I have shot 40" eland before...

Not as complicated for an experienced professional Hunter as we think.

I think we are flinging darts all around the bulls eye.
Many clients will never rebook no matter how happy they were, they want to sleep with a new woman every time... Hey and that's some clients African "Affair" (which I maintain is an Internet based thing)

Then you get the old faithfulls I like to hunt those clients we build up a good relationship due to the camaraderie shared created by sharing special experiences in multiple countries, hunts or just one animal.

My best always

Perfectly stated... Thank you!

I hear you jaco and I was not meaning hunting skill as in judging horns and stuff. I do agree with the tracker part also as they can make or break an trip.

But even trackers have limits and the knowledge of areas can bring them limits out. A tracker that hunts desert areas must of his life will be great in the desert just as one who hunts swamps would be great there. Switch there areas and both will not be as great as on there home land. They both may get the job done but some are better in certain areas over another.

I would bet your much better at moz now then your first year hunting there. Learning a new area and animal movement over time will only make you better. Must of your skills will work in any place you decide to hunt. With that said someone who has hunted an area for 10 years for whole hunting seasons will have a better idea then someone who has hunted it once or twice over 10 years.

I am not saying the hunt may not work out and be a great hunt but everyone and that even means me or you jaco has there limits on who is best for that job. For me a once and life time hunt I am looking for the best guy for the job no matter how good of friends I am with anyone or how much business I have done with them. As a client of outfitter x I would hope they would understand why I would use outfitter Y for that hunt.

I was referring to a tracker native to the area, in Moz I have another set of trackers, same in SA same in the forest.

As far as hunt frequency goes a "native" tracker I believe will sort this out relatively painlessly

I do agree the more you hunt an area the better you'll get the longer you drive the better you drive... I hope this is true of my marriage as well... :)

As far as the best guy for the Job I believe it's a mythical creature we make up from various videos and books we read... You hunt with the ph that has served you well in the past and you trust him 400% you do your best and your hunt will be a success or a consummate hinting experience, that's how complicated it is in my book.
My best ;)

Now that makes sense I was not sure if you traveled with your same trackers to all areas.

you been on the beer? :ROFLMAO:

Hahaha nooooo it is Monday over here..... Going a little crazy after not hunting for a week...! ;-)

Most likely! Those sweizer boys are big drinkers we don't stand a chance Spike!

I wonder who thought me as I am only a young kid in the industry... The old guys like yourself have been drinking loooong before I even thought that I would ever be hunting for a living Mr. Strauss!

Really? (I'd say "rahra" here if I knew how to spell it)

Reerrrrriiiigggg?

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just trying to book a safari here boys! ;-))))

I wonder who thought me as I am only a young kid in the industry... The old guys like yourself have been drinking loooong before I even thought that I would ever be hunting for a living Mr. Strauss!

Who you calling old! If Ole Bally was here he'd set us both straight! :)

Who you calling Jack! ??? But hi anyway!

now jaco if he doesnt behave shall we remind him what a good photographer i am.......eh rocky2 ;) :D Cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross