Sako 90 Line Drops Today...sadly no Safari guns

The main problem with all this is, when they do start showing up, I'm sure the prices will be through the roof for the first year or more. Much like the new Ruger/Marlin rifles.
I am sure some dealers will jack the prices up. I could be wrong, but I think it would be hard for Sako to do that. Their current price point fits in that premium mass produced rifle range. If they go any higher they start to get into custom rifle range, and I don't think they'll have much success competing in that arena.

I am sure some dealers will jack the prices up. I could be wrong, but I think it would be hard for Sako to do that. Their current price point fits in that premium mass produced rifle range. If they go any higher they start to get into custom rifle range, and I don't think they'll have much success competing in that arena.
Yes. Much like the Ruger/Marlin rifles, it probably won't matter what Sako lists the retail pricing at, if people are willing to bid the prices through the roof.

I don't think it will be like ruger/marlin 1895. The issue is they are a novelty right now because ruger cant barely get any made. Bolt guns are significantly simpler to build and way less machined parts. I don't think they will be so few and far between that people will run prices up. It's already a limited market for sako because the price point is very high for the average US bolt action buyer/hunter. Especially when you compare to say a ruger American at $400 that shoots sub1" all day at 100 yard

The main problem with all this is, when they do start showing up, I'm sure the prices will be through the roof for the first year or more. Much like the new Ruger/Marlin rifles.
Not necessarily..
One web sites quotes MSRP of Sako 90 at around 2500 USD. This is basically price of sako 85 plus a bit of inflation.

Their roof breaking price model, total high end rifle is Sako 100. (cca 5k)

With the smaller ejection port, it would seem that these would be more difficult to top load, vs the more open actions of the previous Sako rifles.
1683975393504.png

This was the first thing I noticed is the reduced access to the loading/ejection port for topping off a magazine. I immediately wondered how long it will take for machine shops to tool up on opening this up and remove the metal from at least the top of it. I understand the strength aspect, but am curious how it will work in the real world for top loading.

Another thing I noticed is the bolt handle seems to be a little lower than it was on the 85, giving more clearance between it and any scope that's mounted. Again, I'd like to see it and give it a try. Maybe next year on the convention tours.

It is not uncommon that people who look for cheaper mounting solutions, often install picatinny rail over Mauser 98 receiver, and still m98 can be loaded from top. (not to my taste, but it can be done)

In this partly closed bridge over the action on Sako 90, with less space new rifle makes loading a bit more difficult.

On the other hand, this could be their addressing to the issue of empty casing hitting the scope above as noted on model 85?
I have seen few promo video of sako 90 in use, it looks like the ejection is more horizontal then on model 85. This could be also due to two plungers positioned vertically on bolt head as well.

All in all, very soon we will see some comments and reviews around.

Action strength aspect, on front lug locking is not an issue. It can be only a marketing trick.

Not necessarily..
One web sites quotes MSRP of Sako 90 at around 2500 USD. This is basically price of sako 85 plus a bit of inflation.

Their roof breaking price model, total high end rifle is Sako 100. (cca 5k)
Which version did you see for $2500 US? I've been browsing around and haven't stumbled on that info yet?

To me Winchester and Ruger build the M70 and the Hawkeye on designs that while perhaps not "innovative" are time tested and reliable. I'll take that every time.

I'm considering one in 338 WinMag. Hoping some new models start popping up soon. I'd love a kodiak/grey wolf rifle.
@Northern Shooter
Don't waste time on a 338. Get one in 9.3x62 instead. I only say 9.3x62 because I know they wouldn't do one in the Whelen.
Bob

Sako launched the 90 series this morning to replace the 85. Sadly no Safari configurations and nothing above 375HH and nothing at all in 9.3x62. That was a disappointment to see as I really wanted a 500J

I have one listed today if you want to look at it.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you