Safe rework

Null754

AH member
Reaction score
I own three safes, and two are specific to brands of guns. One I have a=only Marlin Ballard and pre 1900 lever actions in, while the other is just Remington single shots. The third is my catch all for anything else I own.
My Remington safe began life as a smaller 10 gun safe that got full pretty quickly, and the overflow went into the misc. safe. So yesterday I decided to rework it by taking out the plastic barrel notches on each side and use the threaded mounting points to secure a full width support I made. Started with some flat bar about 1.25" wide, and bent it up to span the safe width. I made the bends about 1.5" deep as I planned for the 2nd row to be guns muzzle down to allow them to clear the back row, and also clear the door so it closed without touching buttstocks.
Once I got the new support built I covered it with a thin layer of dense foam to protect stocks. Bolted it in the existing holes, and my small 10 gun safe now holds 20 single shot rifles. The misc. safe has more room now, but the newly modified safe is now full again; but at least all the Remington single shots are back together and not cross breeding.

I own three safes, and two are specific to brands of guns. One I have a=only Marlin Ballard and pre 1900 lever actions in, while the other is just Remington single shots. The third is my catch all for anything else I own.
My Remington safe began life as a smaller 10 gun safe that got full pretty quickly, and the overflow went into the misc. safe. So yesterday I decided to rework it by taking out the plastic barrel notches on each side and use the threaded mounting points to secure a full width support I made. Started with some flat bar about 1.25" wide, and bent it up to span the safe width. I made the bends about 1.5" deep as I planned for the 2nd row to be guns muzzle down to allow them to clear the back row, and also clear the door so it closed without touching buttstocks.
Once I got the new support built I covered it with a thin layer of dense foam to protect stocks. Bolted it in the existing holes, and my small 10 gun safe now holds 20 single shot rifles. The misc. safe has more room now, but the newly modified safe is now full again; but at least all the Remington single shots are back together and not cross breeding.
Null754: Are these safes (fire proof)—-what brands/models do you use? or are they steel storage type containers? I’ve also thought that some of the standard interior designs are suboptimal for capacity but “Creating” a new interior exceeds my building skills…..plus it’s like building a ship-in-a-bottle.

any pictures of your work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PattiFrye

Latest profile posts

NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
here with available dates for 2024/25

1-13 September 2024
14-31 October 2024
1-7 November 2024
18-24 November 2024

March 2025 is wide open!
12-17 April 2025
24-28 May 2025
15-21 June 2025
7-12 July 2025
22-28 July 2025
13-31 August 2025
15-30 September 2025

October and November 2025 is wide open!
Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.