Safari with a double only

Kevin, even though not on one trip, I’ve successfully hunted Buffalo, Zebra, Nyala, Impala, giraffe, blue wildebeest , Eland and koedoe with my .450-400 3&1/4” with open sights.

A one gun Safari is doable in the right area
That is a real achievement Dewald, especially with a 3&1/4". It does indeed seem possible, and I am sure very satisfying to get that bag with the fieldcraft involved.

@Uintaelkhunter sounds good we are out of Dallas to Doha, then it looks like we will be on the same flight to Joberg. I will try and track you down in Doha

Which of you has hunted in Africa exclusively with a double rifle?
this sounds like a real hunt if you can make it work, all the nostalgia as well as the challenge. I recall a hunt report just a short while ago and this was the case, lots of PG animals and a buff I think, but I can't locate it. What make and calibre did you use, and what sighting system? What would you change next time?
I went to Zambia in 2019 and only took my double. I took 2 Puku (70 yards and 116 yards), 1 buff (74 yards), and a bushbuck (66 yards running). I have a Westley Richards in 450#2. Just used the irons that came on the rifle 116 years ago. I wouldn’t change anything. I’m going back next month and taking that rifle back with me.

I believe Tanks is on a doubles safari right now. 9.3 & 500NE if I remember right.

I went to Zambia in 2019 and only took my double. I took 2 Puku (70 yards and 116 yards), 1 buff (74 yards), and a bushbuck (66 yards running). I have a Westley Richards in 450#2. Just used the irons that came on the rifle 116 years ago. I wouldn’t change anything. I’m going back next month and taking that rifle back with me.
Wonderful SkullKeeper, what is on the card for the next hunt? Note the word hunt, what a special way to go. You Sir should wear a pith helmet!

A .375 Holland & Holland Flanged, a 9,3x74R or a 450/400 should be great for a double rifle only hunt..
I just aquired a 1903-4 vintage boxlocked Joseph Lang in 450/400 3 1/4...need to slug the barrel and load for it...the rifle came with some ancient Eley and Kynoch cordite ammo that goes CLICK or FIZZ..BANG...gone primers I guess..

Anyway...a sweet little handy rifle..

Wonderful SkullKeeper, what is on the card for the next hunt? Note the word hunt, what a special way to go. You Sir should wear a pith helmet!
I will have on license 2 buff, a croc, kudu, bushbuck, and a few other things. My PH will flinch but I definitely want to try for my croc with my double. And yes my mother actually has a pith helmet in her collection of vintage items- I believe it to be from the early 1900 hundreds ! Maybe she will let me borrow it !

A .375 Holland & Holland Flanged, a 9,3x74R or a 450/400 should be great for a double rifle only hunt..
I just aquired a 1903-4 vintage boxlocked Joseph Lang in 450/400 3 1/4...need to slug the barrel and load for it...the rifle came with some ancient Eley and Kynoch cordite ammo that goes CLICK or FIZZ..BANG...gone primers I guess..

Anyway...a sweet little handy rifle..
I remember seeing a beautiful Lang in that caliber for sale in a little shop up in Rhode Island back in the 90’s. I really wanted it but at that time my wallet laughed at me !

I remember seeing a beautiful Lang in that caliber for sale in a little shop up in Rhode Island back in the 90’s. I really wanted it but at that time my wallet laughed at me !

My Lang in the middle..

Rifles1.jpg
Rifles2.jpg

Come to think of it..this would be my choice for a double only....for PG, a Gaucher in 9,3x74R...1,5-4 Zeiss and most accurate to 100m..

G3.jpeg

Come to think of it..this would be my choice for a double only....for PG, a Gaucher in 9,3x74R...1,5-4 Zeiss and most accurate to 100m..

View attachment 417071
How do you like your Gaucher? There is one in 9.3x74R for sale here in the US and roughly $3k less than any other SXS I’ve seen in that cartridge

I like it a lot...it seems to be sturdy built...and accurate it is..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you