Sable Pictures

the bull I took two years ago in Zimbabwe...

 

Attachments

  • 031_zps1d47ede6.jpg
    031_zps1d47ede6.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 451
Thanks Jerome, That's what we were trying to start. They are animals like no other, so want the members to share their photos, and others to start thinking about them.... ;)
Have to put this particular bull one notch above Vaal Rhebuck on the difficulty ladder. Total of 7 days needed to get him.

So much for what I've heard about Sable being an "easy" hunt!!!

What made this one so difficult Marius? Was it a true wild population Sable vs. one born and raised on a farm, or something else? I'm curious. One day I do want to hunt Sable and I don't want an "easy" go find them under the tree they always stay by and shoot them hunt.
 
So much for what I've heard about Sable being an "easy" hunt!!!

What made this one so difficult Marius? Was it a true wild population Sable vs. one born and raised on a farm, or something else? I'm curious. One day I do want to hunt Sable and I don't want an "easy" go find them under the tree they always stay by and shoot them hunt.

The bull referred to in this thread, was a specific bull that we hunted, born on the property. He knew his areas, like no other animal that I have ever encountered.
He had a home valley where he lived, and we found him there 9/10 times. Just, you had to shoot across a valley, and the shot could get rather long, especially on a top price range animal like this. After every bust, I thought I figured out his escape route which would aid me in the next attempt, but he would use a different route every time of the 5 times he took off.
The last time, I went to the back corner, which is also the highest point of the property, and scouted from there. I could see his home valley, which was also where I expected to find him again. I found him in a different area, and my Leica Geovids told me that he was about a mile away.
When I turned to my tracker to send him to go and fetch an extra pair of binos and radios, and put the glass back on him, he was looking straight at us, from a mile away.
I turned to instruct my guy, turned back to look at him, and he was gone. I left my tracker on that ridge, and drove around to get to the cliffs above him. Once I got there, I scanned the thorny thickets below me. After about 5 minutes of scanning, I only picked up the tip of the one horn sticking out from the long grass. The range was a modest 170yds, and we waited him out until he stood up.
Very mixed emotions about this one. The reward feeling for the hard work was good, but can't help but feel that bitter sweet feeling once he's lying there. They are just sensational animals.
 
the bull I took two years ago in Zimbabwe...


Photoshopped. I know the guy in the photo, and in real life, he looks much older.
....and he moans a lot.
 
My Mozambique bull. No monster by any means, but notice the smile on my face. 40 years of day dreaming came to life. I was super happy!

watermark.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC01987.jpg
    DSC01987.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:
Photoshopped. I know the guy in the photo, and in real life, he looks much older.
....and he moans a lot.

and that says a guy who Looks like Frodo Baggins at the moment...
Ts ts ts Marius...
 
The bull referred to in this thread, was a specific bull that we hunted, born on the property. He knew his areas, like no other animal that I have ever encountered.
He had a home valley where he lived, and we found him there 9/10 times. Just, you had to shoot across a valley, and the shot could get rather long, especially on a top price range animal like this. After every bust, I thought I figured out his escape route which would aid me in the next attempt, but he would use a different route every time of the 5 times he took off.
The last time, I went to the back corner, which is also the highest point of the property, and scouted from there. I could see his home valley, which was also where I expected to find him again. I found him in a different area, and my Leica Geovids told me that he was about a mile away.
When I turned to my tracker to send him to go and fetch an extra pair of binos and radios, and put the glass back on him, he was looking straight at us, from a mile away.
I turned to instruct my guy, turned back to look at him, and he was gone. I left my tracker on that ridge, and drove around to get to the cliffs above him. Once I got there, I scanned the thorny thickets below me. After about 5 minutes of scanning, I only picked up the tip of the one horn sticking out from the long grass. The range was a modest 170yds, and we waited him out until he stood up.
Very mixed emotions about this one. The reward feeling for the hard work was good, but can't help but feel that bitter sweet feeling once he's lying there. They are just sensational animals.

Great story of a great hunt. Thanks for sharing the details.
 
The bull referred to in this thread, was a specific bull that we hunted, born on the property. He knew his areas, like no other animal that I have ever encountered.
He had a home valley where he lived, and we found him there 9/10 times. Just, you had to shoot across a valley, and the shot could get rather long, especially on a top price range animal like this. After every bust, I thought I figured out his escape route which would aid me in the next attempt, but he would use a different route every time of the 5 times he took off.
The last time, I went to the back corner, which is also the highest point of the property, and scouted from there. I could see his home valley, which was also where I expected to find him again. I found him in a different area, and my Leica Geovids told me that he was about a mile away.
When I turned to my tracker to send him to go and fetch an extra pair of binos and radios, and put the glass back on him, he was looking straight at us, from a mile away.
I turned to instruct my guy, turned back to look at him, and he was gone. I left my tracker on that ridge, and drove around to get to the cliffs above him. Once I got there, I scanned the thorny thickets below me. After about 5 minutes of scanning, I only picked up the tip of the one horn sticking out from the long grass. The range was a modest 170yds, and we waited him out until he stood up.
Very mixed emotions about this one. The reward feeling for the hard work was good, but can't help but feel that bitter sweet feeling once he's lying there. They are just sensational animals.

What a story.... Glad I asked!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
 
:biggrin2:

..isn't it Dildo Baggins..?
your mind is in the wrong place DOC... kind of a dirty bugger aren't ya.?.?.?
nice photos so far, keep em coming.
 
Great Trophy!
 
Here are some client photos from the past few years. Sizes range from 46 to 40 inches







 

Attachments

  • DSC01518.jpg
    DSC01518.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC03445.jpg
    DSC03445.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Kochersable_zps743bf773.jpg
    Kochersable_zps743bf773.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Reessableweb.jpg
    Reessableweb.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 428
Supposedly the second one down, which was taken with PH Pierre Hundermark in zim was 46 on one side. I was not on the ground to measure so took his word for it. It was taken up in Matetsi
 
I'd have been willing to see if he was 46 after the shot.
 
Tim the second bull is a beast IMO, could be up there , what I especially appreciate in him is the secondary growth a good 'ol boy ....

A proper old 42 5/8" exceptional secondary growth

image.jpg

A classic 42"

image.jpg

My own Roosevelt harvested late last season, also not the biggest but a good mature sable, having probably survived several Lion encounters this was truly a special day, to harvest such a special animal.
image.jpg

PS.the camera man, my beloved brother Reinhard definitely received a piece of my mind... :)

My best always
 
Personally, I like the second one from the bottom. Look at the wear on that guy.

True Marius nicely worn, but not near as much growth on the base, that massive sweep just takes my breath away.. :)

They are indeed, very special animals.

My best always.
 
Tim the second bull is a beast IMO, could be up there , what I especially appreciate in him is the secondary growth a good 'ol boy ....

A proper old 42 5/8" exceptional secondary growth

View attachment 26363
....

Question on the coat colour.

If this is a mature animal why so light in colour?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,674
Members
169,816
Latest member
sugarget
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top