SAA Route Cancellations

It looks like they’ve gone to one flight a day to and from PE and the rest operated by Mango. Maybe since it will be a SAA codeshare flight Mango will carry guns? In the past only SAA carried guns domestically in RSA.
Maybe @Travel Express can provide us more information.

Nick Bowker sent me an email today, advising checking in to possible flight changes for my flight leg from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth. I called Travel Express, they assured me things would get worked out, but it will take some time for SAA to initiate flight changes to either be refunded or rebooked on Airlink. Not bringing any rifles, using a rifle from Nick's collection, so that part is not a worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
With no firearms you can take any airline available.

As KMG mentions above SA Airlink allow rifles and shotguns. Also see screen shot below. Not my area of expertise. The permit guys need to weigh in.

Also I have not had folk flying Airlink to Port Elizabeth carrying rifles. Always been SAA. Maybe some of the other sponsors can weigh in.

View attachment 328736

I have used Airlink to JHB with firearms.

I have one leg of my flight right now from Joberg to East London on SAA in April this year. I find it strange that they have not taken that route down on their website yet or any of the other travel sites. You would think that they would have disabled the ability for new bookings on that route already so they wouldn't have to cancel more bookings than necessary. Does anyone have any new information on this? I was planning on bringing my rifle with me so I would really love to get things sorted out sooner than later.

The latest news is that government is stepping in to try and throw the entire route cancellation story out the window.

Just give it time. It will sort itself out.

Well Saa is still doing nothing. We are less than 30 days out to departure. This is also stopping us from getting our rifle permits.

Well Saa is still doing nothing. We are less than 30 days out to departure. This is also stopping us from getting our rifle permits.

Graham Hunter,

Are you using a travel agent?

Have you contacted Herny Rifle Permits, regarding your travel itinerary?

According to Sherrue of Safari Lines:....and comments on this thread....
(I leave in May for SA)....flight changes/cancellations are a problem that is often expected and other arrangements can be made to get you and your wepon(s) to where you need to go. However, any refund from the original carrier/airline (SAA in this case) may take a while. Should there be a lower cost difference between flying SAA and SA Link.

According to (I'm not sure which site): local news report, SAA website, or Mango Airlines.

Mango Airlines is/was scheduled to pick up the SAA flights between JNB and PLZ to include transportation of weapons. However, (As of Monday 10 May) Mango Airlines' website says they dont transport weapons.

Anyone have first hand experience in traveling with weapons and having to deal with flight cancellations, delays, rescheduled flights, etc. want to share their experience(s)?

Yes I am using a Travel Agent and so is my friend. Same answer from both. Until SAA releases a policy and cancels the other flights. there is nothing they can do about it. Henry is aware and waiting also for a statement/policy from SAA. I am surprised no one from Express travel has posted anything here.

Yes I am using a Travel Agent and so is my friend. Same answer from both. Until SAA releases a policy and cancels the other flights. there is nothing they can do about it. Henry is aware and waiting also for a statement/policy from SAA. I am surprised no one from Express travel has posted anything here.

@Graham Hunter , the only unfortunate thing here is the timing of your trip. Travel Express does not have the answers yet either. We are all waiting for the answers.
I know for a fact that there are a lot of people on the ground over here, working on the logistics of the entire deal. This includes negotiations with new airlines to take over the firearms cargo contract etc. It will get sorted out in time, and as I mentioned, it is unfortunate that your trip is so close.
My advise would be to save yourself the unnecessary stress, and simply buy yourself a new domestic ticket on SA Airlink to PE. That's going to run you $250 return. If you go this route, then remember to inform your travel agent about the no-show of the SAA domestic flight, otherwise they cancel your entire flight home. By announcing your no-show, it won't affect the rest of your flights.

I have offered my hunters value in camp, should they need to change any domestic flights because of this SAA mess, just to help them with any financial loss. Worst case now for them, would be to fly to PE instead of East London, where we will collect them in a Shuttle, with a Cooler packed with ice cold beer, and changes the trip to camp from 1 hr to 3 hrs. In the greater scheme of things, that is a minor obstacle to deal with.

All the best with your trip. Hope that everything works out for you.

Anyone have first hand experience in traveling with weapons and having to deal with flight cancellations, delays, rescheduled flights, etc. want to share their experience(s)?

This is not a typical circumstance. (which you know)
Any typical delay would just have you being rescheduled on the next available flight.

Cancellations of entire routes is much different than a flight cancellation.
An airline is removing themselves from the market entirely, strands every passenger.
This would be tough enough in the first world, never mind anywhere else.

This is when you will all become aware of just how small the firearms carrying population actually is.
We are not a priority to any airline. We are a PIA. Special permits and licenses, special staff, etc, etc.

:S 2 Cents: If your trip is coming up quickly I would heed @KMG Hunting Safaris advice on the new travel arrangement and get on with your trip. :E Zen:

Then fight with the airline afterward.
The likely result being: :E Red Hot: "I'll never use SAA ever gain!"

Sorry, but Mango does not carry firearms.

Monday, February 10, 2020
Posted by Travelweek

JOHANNESBURG — Airlink, a privately-run South African airline, will operate services linking Johannesburg with Port Elizabeth, Entebbe, Ndola and Luanda after Feb. 29, even though its franchise partner, South African Airways (SAA), will stop serving those destinations from that date.
Customers holding those tickets may apply to SAA for re-accommodation onto Airlink’s flights. Those who do not want to be re-accommodated, may apply to SAA for a refund in line with its Business Rescue refund policies.

Customers requiring assistance are asked to contact Airlink on +27 451 7350 or email customercare@flyairlink.com.

The latest news is that government is stepping in to try and throw the entire route cancellation story out the window.

Just give it time. It will sort itself out.

Politicians jumping in.
It's going to take an ongoing :S Dollar::S Dollar::S Dollar::S Dollar::S Dollar: subsidy from the government.

I feel for you guys that are about to travel.

This is common for many major carriers. Air Canada and United both have "small sister" companies who carry there brand name. Air Canada has jazz, Georgian, rouge and express. All have air Canada paint jobs, air Canada uniforms, air Canada ticketing etc. But it's technically another company. Airlink is the SAA version. They handle all the domestic flights. So it sounds like the bankruptcy protection company is telling SAA to let airlink do all the domestic flights. And focus on the international flights. Fortunately my trip this may I'm flying in from Frankfurt which is one of the flights they are keeping. Hopefully that flight remains.

For you Canadians. If your flight number is 3 digits ie AC875. That's air Canada proper. Any four digit. AC1756 that's one of there sister companies.

So I received an email this morning that told me they (SAA) were sorry but my flight had been cancelled and reassigned and gave me a link to check my new flight. So off I go to the link and log in to SAA with my confirmation number. AAAnndd nothing has changed, Same times same flight#'s and still says SAA. Now I am really baffled.

So I received an email this morning that told me they (SAA) were sorry but my flight had been cancelled and reassigned and gave me a link to check my new flight. So off I go to the link and log in to SAA with my confirmation number. AAAnndd nothing has changed, Same times same flight#'s and still says SAA. Now I am really baffled.

Graham is your flight within South Africa?

I received the same email.

The link SAA sent me is:

http://www.flysaa.com/manage-fly/booking-management

It also says they [SAA] has booked me with another carrier, on a flight nearest my travel times.

You will need your Booking Number to access your flight change.

The message also ask to forward their [SAA] email to your travel agent.

Last edited:
@Ridgewalker trying to go from Joberg to port liz. Did you actually get a new carrier and flight times. When I logged in it is exactly the same as my original including flying on a SAA Fliight.

Graham,

My flight is also scheduled JNB to PLZ (PE) and return.

My flight is in May, and my booking number wasn't attached to the email my travel agent sent me back in August 2019.

I'll know more Monday, 17 May, after I call my travel agent or SAA, regarding today's email.

@Ridgewalker trying to go from Joberg to port liz. Did you actually get a new carrier and flight times. When I logged in it is exactly the same as my original including flying on a SAA Fliight.
Graham, that’s Ridge Runner that’s going. But I’ll be interested as well to hear what’s going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg