JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
G'day,

Got an upcoming pig hunt and needed some ammo for my 9.3x62. I was trying to get some PPU soft nose but had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get it. The local gunshop only had RWS UNI classic 293gn boxes but the guy said because they move so slowly if I bought the few boxes they had left I could get a good deal. I needed brass too and heard RWS is good so said stuff it and bought 4 boxes.

Thing is I've never heard of them, amd internet search didn't turn up much at all.
Anyone know anything about them?

I read the little datasheet they had but from that still wasn't sure what other pils they are comparable to. I did note the recoil listed as "VERY STRONG" so i looked at the numbers 293gn going at 2430fps which is a step up from what i have been shooting in my 9.3x62.
Thinking they will be good red stag and sambar medicine, might have a buff hunt next year lined up and wondering if they will be any good for that too or if I'm better going another direction (which was my initial plan).

Appreciate any clarification on this ammo.

I have no experience with RWS ammo. I find their offerings in the US are overpriced for the bullet technology they offer, even when compared to offerings from other European ammo companies like Norma and Geco. RWS, Norma, and Geco are all owned by the same parent company.

Here's a link to their web site.

https://rws-munition.de/en.html

The feral hogs I've taken were with my .25-06 using a 110 grain Nosler Accubond projectile and a 120 grain Federal Fusion projectile. I'm a fan of the performance I've experienced with bonded bullets, with and / or without a plastic tip. JM2C.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.42 AM.png
    5 MB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.45 AM.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 225
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.39.49 AM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 213
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.40.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 8.40.00 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Norma ammunition is produced in Sweden with excellent Swedish engineering.
The official owner is the Holding RUAG Ammotech/Switzerland like RWS and Geco.But these are German companies.
Nevertheless different products.
Geco is the cheaper ammo product of RWS.Not bad,really, just simpler made.
The bullets RWS UNI and Brennecke TUG are the same construction,and RWS had to change the name .
RWS UNI is a excellent bullet, but a expensive choice,like Norma in serveral cases.
I shot it for years with good results,but I was reloading again and for a lot of wholes in the paper, it was to expensive for me.
You can use it unconsidered until big moose and big bears with the 9,3x62.
In the smaller class(roes),its a little bit hard.
For buff I would take others (a solid f.e.)
Germany has no market, which is experienced in DG bullets like the Americans.
Hope it helps,hope I was not wrong with my explanitions.
Regards from the other side of the world.
One of the reason why Im so fascinated of AH :)
Foxi

Last edited:
Norma ammunition is produced in Sweden with Swedish engineering.
The official owner is the Holding RUAG Ammotech/Switzerland like RWS and Geco.But these are German companies.
Nevertheless different products.
Geco is the cheaper ammo product of RWS.Not bad,really, but simpler made.
The bullets RWS UNI and Brennecke TUG are the same construction,and RWS had to change the name .
RWS UNI is a excellent bullet, but a expensive choice.
I shot it for years with good results,but I was reloading again and for a lot of wholes in the paper, it was to expensive for me.
You can use it unconsidered until moose and big bears with the 9,3x62.
For buff I would take others (a solid f.e.)
Germany has no market which is experienced DG bullets.
Hope it helps,hope I was not wrong with my explanitions.
Regards from the other side of the world.
One of the reason why Im so fascinated of AH :)
Foxi

Thank you, i would not have bought it normally but the offer of price per 20 was cheaper than unprimed RWS brass per 20 so I couldn't pass it up.

Buffalo (water not cape) were not a consideration when I bought them, but when reading through the internet I found a reference to ganyana taking over 30 consecutive 1 shot kills with this exact bullet in 9.3x62 on cape buff so thought it was worth asking.

RWS ammo is pretty good stuff :)
A friend uses it in his own 9.3 × 62 rifle made by Steyr with a detachable Magazine . Taken lots of European boars and stats with it.
Don Heath , Aka Ganyana DID prefer the 9.3 × 62 mm in a DETACHABLE MAGAZINE rifle .His initial battery was a .404 Jeffery Mauser made by Holland and Holland , a .308 Winchester Mauser , a .22 LR Mauser rifle and a 9.3 × 62 mm Mauser.
Eventually , he got rid of 3 of those rifles and his final choices for DG were :
A 9.3 × 62 mm Mauser action rifle with a DETACHABLE MAGAZINE
And
A Krieghoff Double rifle in .500/416 .
RWS ammo is definitely good , European stuff

jp,
the uni classic used to be known as TUG.
they made a similar looking bullet called TIG.
tig was softer and expanded more, while tug has a dual core, the front being softer than the rear, for both expansion and penetration.
they have plenty of lead exposed suggesting quick expansion
norma used to make a dual core, but it was never the bullet that tug is.
john taylor felt the bullet was good for game up to and including buffalo in the 9.3x62, but that it was a bit fragile for full 9.3x64 loads.
my testing in the x64 bears this out.
pigs being fairly solid should make the tug work well.
if I had a 9.3x62 I would look hard at that bullet for pigs, red deer, sambar, donkeys, and possibly camels.
rws advertised velocities are considered by some to be optimistic, but a chronograph can tell the truth there.
my experience with rws brass is that none is better.
it weighs very consistently for bought brass, and takes pressure extremely well, better than lapua and way better than norma.
go pig hunting with reasonable confidence.
and let us know what you find.
bruce,

G'day,

Got an upcoming pig hunt and needed some ammo for my 9.3x62. I was trying to get some PPU soft nose but had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get it. The local gunshop only had RWS UNI classic 293gn boxes but the guy said because they move so slowly if I bought the few boxes they had left I could get a good deal. I needed brass too and heard RWS is good so said stuff it and bought 4 boxes.

Thing is I've never heard of them, amd internet search didn't turn up much at all.
Anyone know anything about them?

I read the little datasheet they had but from that still wasn't sure what other pils they are comparable to. I did note the recoil listed as "VERY STRONG" so i looked at the numbers 293gn going at 2430fps which is a step up from what i have been shooting in my 9.3x62.
Thinking they will be good red stag and sambar medicine, might have a buff hunt next year lined up and wondering if they will be any good for that too or if I'm better going another direction (which was my initial plan).

Appreciate any clarification on this ammo.

Just out of interest how many grooves around the bullet are there just above the case neck?

This is them.

As foxi says rws used to call it the tug bullet. It was a brennecke bullet either supplied by them to rws of rws made under licence. It was very good and had one groove around the bullet on the section above the case neck. There ended up with legal wrangles between them and rws started to make their own version. This had two grooves around the bullet instead of one as in the original brennecke version. This design wasn't good and broke up very easily. Rws ended up acknowledging this and redesigned it to hopefully the original specifications. So yours must be the newer version. I used iron the old original ones in my 9.3x74r double and my 9.3x62.. It was my favorite ammunition to use in them and worked very well. I have one box left I think....keep saving it for some reason....a just in case moment I presume.. :D...I have no experience with the latest version you have and apert from what is put here haven't heard anything about them either, so will be interested to hear your report.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for a moment, but I believe that someone here might be able to shed some light.

I managed to get hold of some Brenneke TOG (torpedo optimal geschoss) bullets for my 9.3x62. They were on sale and I didn't really do too much research before parting with my cash.

Could not find very much info online regarding practical experience with the bullet. It seems to be a standard bonded lead bullet, with a normal copper jacket (with the same cutting-edge as the bullet depicted above).

Any info appreciated. Worst case, I'll use them for practice.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.21 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 308
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.23 AM.png
    852.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.26 AM.png
    701.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 9.15.28 AM.png
    722.6 KB · Views: 186
Haha, thanks @bruce moulds and @Mr. Zorg - I did that much already :)
I checked the Brenneke site while still in the store, and RWS a little later. But I don't think that RWS is loading that bullet, right?

However, it is usually so that for a given bullet, there will be youtube clips with gel-blocks being shot, field reports, magazine reviews etc. Not so much for this one.

I was thinking of using it for boar/moose/stag at home, and possibly for PG in Africa. I managed to find a nice load that put 4 shots in 17mm c/c at 100m from the bench. (2/3 MOA).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.