Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hey Ladies and Gents,

As a local South African, I'm pretty sick and tired of small hunting farms with ridiculous rules, over affinity for "bakkie hunting" and hidden costs.

I'm looking for a rustic farm, the less there is, the better. I have a whole camping set up, as well as a set up for dressing and so on.

I'm happy to do what I need to in order to put the owner's mind at ease. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I would really appreciate it. I'm not interested in trophies, just a bit of proper wild and nature.

I know it's a big ask!

Kindest regards,
Alex

What province are you interested in hunting?

Anywhere. I'm willing to drive, but I'm based in Pretoria.

You should reach out to Dieter with Mattanja Safaris. He has several set ups. One in particular is very rustic & cool.

It’s 4 hours north of Pretoria.

Might also look up Matt Dubber in RSA. He's got a youtube channel, AirArmsHuntingSA. He hunts a lot of "little" farms like what I think you're looking for. I think he lives in or near Joburg. He shouldn't be difficult for you to find. Check out his channel on youtube to get an idea of what kind of hunting he does. one place in particular, the accommodations are ox wagons.

It is interesting when local south African is asking this on mostly foreigners forum.

Anyway, this is interesting thread.
It would be indeed very nice to have a hunt organised on large property in rustic tents, and similar to the old fashion style.
Just like in the good old times. No swimming pools, no spa, no a/c, with lion roars and hyena laughter in the nights under southern cross of the clear south African sky, etc

A lot of local guys aren't interested in roughing it when they go hunting. They want to go out for a weekend, dop (drink) with their mates, braai and shoot something.

That's perfectly fine, but not my scene. Nature is for self reflection, for me at least. Need to get my hands dirty- Camp, track, shoot, recover and dress/process. I don't want other people doing my work for me.

Takes a lot of trust to let someone come onto your land, let them camp there and hunt the animals there.

Any way, thanks all for the replies, really appreciate it!!

I like your way of thinking, and it would sure be a nice experience. I'm guessing though that it would not work so well for overseas people, unless you actually buy all the needed camping gear once you've landed.

Perhaps there is some "middle ground" type of hunting to be had, e.g. where one could sleep in a shed on the farm, and be guided by the landowner him/herself. Personally I wouldn't need the service of daily laundry, spa, italian cuisine or a swimming pool.

Hi Alex, have a look at the images, that's where I hunted more than 30 years ago when living in Louis Trichardt. The place is between Alldays and Pontdrift, my most favorite area when it comes to hunting. I'm searching since ages for a farm like that, no luck. Please let me know if you find something, we could hunt together? I'm not interested in something posh and expensive, we locals don't need a PH anyway, just a good guide. Looking forward hearing from you (PM).

IMG_4650 (1).jpg
IMG_4649 (1).jpg
IMG_4648 (1).jpg
IMG_4647 (1).jpg
IMG_4646.jpg
IMG_4645.jpg
IMG_4651.jpg

It is interesting when local south African is asking this on mostly foreigners forum.

Anyway, this is interesting thread.
It would be indeed very nice to have a hunt organised on large property in rustic tents, and similar to the old fashion style.
Just like in the good old times. No swimming pools, no spa, no a/c, with lion roars and hyena laughter in the nights under southern cross of the clear south African sky, etc

Zambia, tanzania , mozambique, Zimbabwe..... ...just going to cost you more.....but worth it

Hi Alex, have a look at the images, that's where I hunted more than 30 years ago when living in Louis Trichardt. The place is between Alldays and Pontdrift, my most favorite area when it comes to hunting. I'm searching since ages for a farm like that, no luck. Please let me know if you find something, we could hunt together? I'm not interested in something posh and expensive, we locals don't need a PH anyway, just a good guide. Looking forward hearing from you (PM).

View attachment 278507 View attachment 278508 View attachment 278509 View attachment 278510 View attachment 278511 View attachment 278512 View attachment 278513

Beautiful, I see you're a fellow southpaw as well, definitely can make a plan. I'll drop you a PM the moment I have something, will be nice to have a hunt with a fellow member and someone who thinks in a similar fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois