Russia’s ‘dual-purpose’ goods market too hot for Leica to resist Even after the invaders’ atrocities in Bucha

Major Bonkers

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
From the Meduza website:

Russia’s ‘dual-purpose’ goods market too hot for Leica to resist Even after the invaders’ atrocities in Bucha shocked the world, Leica Camera continued exporting military-grade rifle scopes to Russia​

Interesting, considering Leica to my knowledge does not make military grade rifle scopes. Maybe it’s there thermal product

Article indicated binos and thermals as the principal product. Their expense/loss on Russia potentially indicates them offsetting tax revenue from other better revenue generating markets. Basic western buisness practices taking advantage where you can to spend/expand if possible and reduce tax liabilities where possible.

The world is not that simple, but... a company does not need to sell this type of equipment to a Russia which is in this case (invading Ukraine) the sole aggressor. Especially since it can (and probably will) be used in the war zone.

I will make use of my consumer rights and NOT buy any Leica products for the forseeable future. And I will also share the above on other forums. Which is kind of sad, since they do have nice range finders, and my current one is pretty much kaput.

If I can hurt them, just a little bit, where they do feel it (i.e. the bottom line) - then good.

The world is not that simple, but... a company does not need to sell this type of equipment to a Russia which is in this case (invading Ukraine) the sole aggressor. Especially since it can (and probably will) be used in the war zone.

I will make use of my consumer rights and NOT buy any Leica products for the forseeable future. And I will also share the above on other forums. Which is kind of sad, since they do have nice range finders, and my current one is pretty much kaput.

If I can hurt them, just a little bit, where they do feel it (i.e. the bottom line) - then good.
You realize that is equivalent of National Enquirer from Latvia focusing on Russia "news". I would not put credibility on their reporting without a lot of collaboration.

Not to mention with as much of a market the USA is for Leica (their cameras start at $6K) I doubt they would take a chance with the sanctions.

By the way I don't even think the Magnus scope pictured is even made anymore. The picture shown in the article is Leica advertising picture. A copy is on this thread from 2018.

Overall, it is just a clickbait article.

Ok - perhaps I may have been in error here, maybe not. I just responded with the knee-jerk reaction to finding out about companies profiteering from the war (by supporting the wrongdoers). I saw that Leica had actually posted a reply to the article, where they denounced in completely - so I will investigate further. The Meduza article was quite particular about the details though, so perhaps some digging can reveal whether this accusation is unfounded.

Unfortunately there are a lot of companies whose love for gold is strong, and they are willing to look the other way in order to fill their coffers. In this particular case it was products with a military use (and NO, there are no 'civilian use only' rifle scopes - especially if the soldiers are fighting with WWI-era Mosin-Nagants - then any scope is an advantage).

I surely hope that I was wrong in my (somewhat hasty) judgement.

BTW - that the picture in the article was not really correct is ... well you see this all the time. I guess the author just wanted any scope with the logo on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.