Ruger NO1 /A

I had one as well, but like an idiot sold it. The .303 No.1 has a steep twist and good for heavy bullets, verified by Ruger.
In mine I shot mostly 180 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets with a stiff charge of Win760 and it was good for .308 Win ballistics.
I think you will like that rifle, I have been looking for another ever since I sold mine!
Frickin idiot! Gawd!!

Whatever you do, shoot it first before even thinking about tinkering with it. The newer No.1's seem to all shoot very well without messing around with them.
They are sensitive to forearm pressure so dont see saw back and forth on the sand bags. I like to place the front bag just forward of the receiver and leave it there.
Hands off it too. Ruger manual advises placing the off hand under the forearm but I never did, found it awkward, so I just use the front bag.
Look forward to seeing it.
 
I took mine to the range today! .303 Brit. Love it.

CFB017C1-3879-477A-BBC3-7CE3B0D4356D.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just done a deal on a Ruger NO1/A in 303 British un fired 2011 build, should have it
in about 2 weeks just ord a set of Leupold rings & will fit a VX2 3-9 i have, will post photos when i get it, never had a NO1,before my friends have a 220 swift & a 30/06.
Please post pictures when it arrives.
 
I had one as well, but like an idiot sold it. The .303 No.1 has a steep twist and good for heavy bullets, verified by Ruger.
In mine I shot mostly 180 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets with a stiff charge of Win760 and it was good for .308 Win ballistics.
I think you will like that rifle, I have been looking for another ever since I sold mine!
Frickin idiot! Gawd!!

Whatever you do, shoot it first before even thinking about tinkering with it. The newer No.1's seem to all shoot very well without messing around with them.
They are sensitive to forearm pressure so dont see saw back and forth on the sand bags. I like to place the front bag just forward of the receiver and leave it there.
Hands off it too. Ruger manual advises placing the off hand under the forearm but I never did, found it awkward, so I just use the front bag.
Look forward to seeing it.
Thanks for the advice, can not wait to get it . I am going to have my aortic heart valve replaced some time in August & wont be able to shoot or drive for 1 mth after opp, hope to get it before that, but it will give me some thing to look forward too. it cost me a new car for my wife!
 
Thanks for the advice, can not wait to get it . I am going to have my aortic heart valve replaced some time in August & wont be able to shoot or drive for 1 mth after opp, hope to get it before that, but it will give me some thing to look forward too. it cost me a new car for my wife!
I hope you have a speedy recovery.
 
Just done a deal on a Ruger NO1/A in 303 British un fired 2011 build, should have it
in about 2 weeks just ord a set of Leupold rings & will fit a VX2 3-9 i have, will post photos when i get it, never had a NO1,before my friends have a 220 swift & a 30/06.

Congrats.

All the best for the surgery.

Looking forward to pics ...

of the Ruger, not the surgery ;-)
 
i know where one is and have been trying to buy it, no luck yet. its also new in the box. i heard that most were sold in canada.
Two (2!!!) went to Germany,..... I have one of these :A Banana:

HWL
 
Welcome to the crazy world of Ruger No 1 owners. Well cared for examples exist out there, sounds like you have hit a jackpot. They are strong, built like artillery pieces, near indestructible, huge lump of steel breechblocks, sliding in a major-sized dovetail. DON'T do what I do, have them rebarrelled in non-standard calibers (17F/B; 300WSM; 280AI; 9.3X64). Others have gone up to 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro Express, and more ... I just wish that Ruger would reintroduce them in suitable calibers....
 
Welcome to the crazy world of Ruger No 1 owners. Well cared for examples exist out there, sounds like you have hit a jackpot. They are strong, built like artillery pieces, near indestructible, huge lump of steel breechblocks, sliding in a major-sized dovetail. DON'T do what I do, have them rebarrelled in non-standard calibers (17F/B; 300WSM; 280AI; 9.3X64). Others have gone up to 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro Express, and more ... I just wish that Ruger would reintroduce them in suitable calibers....
Hey @geoff rath - if you are interested in one that has been re-barreled in 8x68, let me know ... Mark
 
303 is a great caliber! Had a 303 in Winchester '95.
In a moment of insanity, I sold it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,341
Members
169,340
Latest member
YoungBarr1
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top