Ruger NO1 /A

I had one as well, but like an idiot sold it. The .303 No.1 has a steep twist and good for heavy bullets, verified by Ruger.
In mine I shot mostly 180 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets with a stiff charge of Win760 and it was good for .308 Win ballistics.
I think you will like that rifle, I have been looking for another ever since I sold mine!
Frickin idiot! Gawd!!

Whatever you do, shoot it first before even thinking about tinkering with it. The newer No.1's seem to all shoot very well without messing around with them.
They are sensitive to forearm pressure so dont see saw back and forth on the sand bags. I like to place the front bag just forward of the receiver and leave it there.
Hands off it too. Ruger manual advises placing the off hand under the forearm but I never did, found it awkward, so I just use the front bag.
Look forward to seeing it.

I took mine to the range today! .303 Brit. Love it.

CFB017C1-3879-477A-BBC3-7CE3B0D4356D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just done a deal on a Ruger NO1/A in 303 British un fired 2011 build, should have it
in about 2 weeks just ord a set of Leupold rings & will fit a VX2 3-9 i have, will post photos when i get it, never had a NO1,before my friends have a 220 swift & a 30/06.
Please post pictures when it arrives.

I had one as well, but like an idiot sold it. The .303 No.1 has a steep twist and good for heavy bullets, verified by Ruger.
In mine I shot mostly 180 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets with a stiff charge of Win760 and it was good for .308 Win ballistics.
I think you will like that rifle, I have been looking for another ever since I sold mine!
Frickin idiot! Gawd!!

Whatever you do, shoot it first before even thinking about tinkering with it. The newer No.1's seem to all shoot very well without messing around with them.
They are sensitive to forearm pressure so dont see saw back and forth on the sand bags. I like to place the front bag just forward of the receiver and leave it there.
Hands off it too. Ruger manual advises placing the off hand under the forearm but I never did, found it awkward, so I just use the front bag.
Look forward to seeing it.
Thanks for the advice, can not wait to get it . I am going to have my aortic heart valve replaced some time in August & wont be able to shoot or drive for 1 mth after opp, hope to get it before that, but it will give me some thing to look forward too. it cost me a new car for my wife!

Thanks for the advice, can not wait to get it . I am going to have my aortic heart valve replaced some time in August & wont be able to shoot or drive for 1 mth after opp, hope to get it before that, but it will give me some thing to look forward too. it cost me a new car for my wife!
I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Just done a deal on a Ruger NO1/A in 303 British un fired 2011 build, should have it
in about 2 weeks just ord a set of Leupold rings & will fit a VX2 3-9 i have, will post photos when i get it, never had a NO1,before my friends have a 220 swift & a 30/06.

Congrats.

All the best for the surgery.

Looking forward to pics ...

of the Ruger, not the surgery ;-)

i know where one is and have been trying to buy it, no luck yet. its also new in the box. i heard that most were sold in canada.
Two (2!!!) went to Germany,..... I have one of these :A Banana:

HWL

Welcome to the crazy world of Ruger No 1 owners. Well cared for examples exist out there, sounds like you have hit a jackpot. They are strong, built like artillery pieces, near indestructible, huge lump of steel breechblocks, sliding in a major-sized dovetail. DON'T do what I do, have them rebarrelled in non-standard calibers (17F/B; 300WSM; 280AI; 9.3X64). Others have gone up to 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro Express, and more ... I just wish that Ruger would reintroduce them in suitable calibers....

Welcome to the crazy world of Ruger No 1 owners. Well cared for examples exist out there, sounds like you have hit a jackpot. They are strong, built like artillery pieces, near indestructible, huge lump of steel breechblocks, sliding in a major-sized dovetail. DON'T do what I do, have them rebarrelled in non-standard calibers (17F/B; 300WSM; 280AI; 9.3X64). Others have gone up to 505 Gibbs, 500 Nitro Express, and more ... I just wish that Ruger would reintroduce them in suitable calibers....
Hey @geoff rath - if you are interested in one that has been re-barreled in 8x68, let me know ... Mark

303 is a great caliber! Had a 303 in Winchester '95.
In a moment of insanity, I sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross