Ruger No. 1

you can pick up 30-06 very easy! Great balanced caliber for the #1

Actually the 375H&H is a really good fit for a No1 and it comes in the heavier Teopical format. It will do everything. And yes, less than $2100! Legal in Africa, easy to find ammo.

When/why did you get rid of your No. in 375 H&H? :cry:

About 6 months ago to my good hunting buddy, he found one, paid for it and then couldn't import it for some reason. He was devastated, so seing as I had just got my Heym double I alleviated his pain and let him have my No1. Not all is lost, I have now just bought a brand new one in 30-06 and am in the process of importing that.

You are a great friend. Congrats on the 30-06, please post pictures when you get it. :) (y)

RJ Renner can reshape the stock and do some other work that turns a factory No1 with its sub par stock shape into a lithe stalking rifle that is better for running irons.

Here is my .375 H&H that he reworked.

DB700C49-D8C6-4FAF-8739-7386B62775DE.jpeg
E0F66004-AA4F-4CE2-B990-6A477C285DA0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Et1775, nice but I like mine the way they are.

RJ Renner can reshape the stock and do some other work that turns a factory No1 with its sub par stock shape into a lithe stalking rifle that is better for running irons.

Here is my .375 H&H that he reworked.
That looks great!!! The way a No. 1 should look to start with......along with a rib without that unsightly gap under it.

You are a great friend. Congrats on the 30-06, please post pictures when you get it. :) (y)
Will do. I have a shop pic already, but it is a bit blurred. It is also still covered in grease or wax from the factory.

STILL won't match the 9.3x64 that Rob B built for me ...
@geoff rath
True but ammo and components are more readily available for the Whelen and a lot cheaper as well.
The extra cost and difficulty aren't worth it to me.
A 310gn Woodleigh @2,440fps and 4,000 odd fpe is enough oomph for me and what I hunt. I expect a 225gn Woodleigh hydro at 2,900fps should provide more penetration than I will ever need.
Bob

If I had to get rid of all my no 1’s except 1, I would keep the Super 30. But I don’t have to so I can quit thinking like that!

300 H&H. Honestly I like the hunt more than the purchase so it was definitely an impulse buy.
I hope you love it, but if you don't let me know. I need another 30 cal No 1 like I need a hole in the head; but the want is real!

I am fighting the urge right now to get a No 1 and re-chamber it for 450 No 2 NE because I am infatuated with that cartridge. But a Boddington in 300 H&H would be more practical.

300 H&H. Honestly I like the hunt more than the purchase so it was definitely an impulse buy.
But to hunt with a No1 in the iconic 300H&H is way high on the satisfaction list. I predict there is going to be some love going on here.

This will be the year I finally pick up a Ruger No. 1. I have mulling it over for the better part of a decade. The problem I am having might be common to the uninitiated, what cartridge do I get it in. I am currently looking at 300 HH, 416 Rigby, 450/400. Currently I am looking online, but there is a gun show this weekend that is pretty good so there is no telling on what will be there. I would appreciate any input from owners of these fine rifles. I also reload everything I own so ammo would not be to much of an issue. Thanks.
Truly just want to learn with my question…what is the alure of a Ruger No 1 single shot rifle for hunting please? Sincerely I have no thoughts on this at all but can’t help seeing they have a high popularity and just trying to understand the popularity which is obviously high! Is it just the simplicity?

Truly just want to learn with my question…what is the alure of a Ruger No 1 single shot rifle for hunting please? Sincerely I have no thoughts on this at all but can’t help seeing they have a high popularity and just trying to understand the popularity which is obviously high! Is it just the simplicity?
Yeah I would say simplicity. I also think the Ruger No 1 just attracts a certain type of person to them. I am not sure what about them I really like. There just I don't know, different. I hunt most deer species like a lot of people do. But honestly I don't really care to much about it. I love mixing it up with bears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amparo8634

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.