Ruger No.1 "460 Weatherby"

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Greetings AH, I managed to find one online. Upon contacting the seller as to who sleeved it to accommodate the 460, the only reconnaissance was "it came from a 458"?!? I'm sure it's been done many times over, however, I suppose my question is .. Will a #1 hold up to the abuse of the 460?

This may be a subjective question as to who & how it was done, nature of the grain, etc... I've seen really well done #1's of course in the 500's but the price reflects it. This particular #1 in 460 is $1400.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Regards, Dan.

Bonk,

You made me laugh.

Yea ! It will kick like a pissed off mule, but when that shot of a lifetime is about to happen you won't feel it at all.

Bonk,

You made me laugh.

Yea ! It will kick like a pissed off mule, but when that shot of a lifetime is about to happen you won't feel it at all.

I won't entirely disagree with that, but you should be practicing with that rifle prior, and you will feel it then.

Sounds awesome, as ridiculous it may sound .. I'll contact the seller for more info. It has been suggested here the 458 Lott was pushing the envelope from the last 1H's in 2003?!?

Daniel you questioned who "sleeved" the barrel to make the conversion. Wouldn't this be a re-bore? This may be a "dumb" question as I have "0" experience with either. You might also ask one of the shops and or gunsmiths that do re-bores and ask what they think of the idea.

Daniel you questioned who "sleeved" the barrel to make the conversion. Wouldn't this be a re-bore? This may be a "dumb" question as I have "0" experience with either. You might also ask one of the shops and or gunsmiths that do re-bores and ask what they think of the idea.

Thank you, in the best interest, as I'm just as unfamiliar with the process to convert the 458/460. I'll be making contacts to the parties respectively...

If it's the .460 I saw, it's hideous and just screams monkeyed around with. I'd want photos of the portions where the barrel meets the receiver under the forestock. There was a converted .450 NE running around for a while that turned out to have a crack there. Respectfully, I think that paying the money to have it done right is not a bad idea.

My Lott is from 2016. So they were made after 2003. Can you expand about the concerns?

I found what you are looking at. Looks nice and is not the same rifle I was thinking of. This thing looked like it came out of a 70's movie.
It should be quite the handful. My Lott has a heavy barrel profile and it's lively. This will be a definite step up in liveliness. I not thinking that you're doing yourself any favors. I'd also request pictures of the wrist around the tang. You're looking for splitting on this rifle for sure.

The only one I ever saw was at a gunsmith who took it out every time he got some real braggart claiming to be immune to the effects of recoil and let him shoot it. Never had anyone want to fire a second shot.

If you are determined, I'd find good ways to add weight without sacrificing structural integrity.

I'll stick to the lighter kickers like my 505 Gibbs bolt guns;)

Unfortunately in Canada it would be classed as a Military style assault rifle meant to kill as many people as quickly as possible. Thanks to the Turd and his drunken bully Blair

I found what you are looking at. Looks nice and is not the same rifle I was thinking of. This thing looked like it came out of a 70's movie.
It should be quite the handful. My Lott has a heavy barrel profile and it's lively. This will be a definite step up in liveliness. I not thinking that you're doing yourself any favors. I'd also request pictures of the wrist around the tang. You're looking for splitting on this rifle for sure.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868005069

That's really my primary concern, the integrity to not split, what it's been through up to this point? I posted a want add for a #1 in 458 lott some time ago as there was nothing surfacing at the time, However, I'm still looking. A converted #1 as above would be great, but to your point, I'm apprehensive without the knowledge and prefer it be sent out to a respectable gunsmith.

I do appreciate everyone's feedback on the subject & and am still in the market for a #1 in the 458 Lott!!!
Photo curtesy of Gary Reeder's work on a No.1
#1-7.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.47.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.47.06 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.47.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 12.47.04 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Last edited by a moderator:
I’d take a real hard look at whether you really want a #1 in .460 Wby. I’ve fired exactly one round out of a .460. I had previously owned a .378 Wby. I never could get used to it’s sharp and heavy recoil. I thought the recoil of the .460 wasn’t as sharp as the .378 but recoiled harder.
I have a #1 in .458 Lott. When I first bought it, I had a little trepidation about firing that first round. It wasn’t as bad as I feared. The factory recoil pad has something to be desired, but that’s an easy fix.
Everyone has their own recoil tolerance. The guy who owned the .460 I fired, collected Weatherby’s and could stand there and bang out three shots offhand accurately without issue. For me, the Lott is probably my maximum. I might be able to go a little higher on the recoil scale but why?
upload_2020-5-21_13-52-40.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-21_13-50-52.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-21_13-50-52.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 90
Never wanted or needed experience with the 460, so I'm not an expert, but I do know No. 1's and like them. My free one line pain forecast is:
95% chance of Big Ouch with possible detached retina.

Ruger no. 1.....460 Weatherby......oh my.....

Now if it had been re-chambered to 450 NE or 450 No 2 NE it would be something to behold, cherish and enjoy but a 460 Weatherby in a Ruger no. 1 my oh my what are some people doing...

All I can say is good luck I would stay far away....

Have you ever fired a 460 Weatherby with full power loads in a bolt action never mind a No. 1?

And please lets not start the "It can be downloaded part"....

460 Weatherby has a 26 inch barrel with a 1 in 16 twist, the Ruger will probably have a 24 inch barrel with a 1 in 14 twist.....

Run Forest run.....I bet the barrel is in almost un-fired condition....

I have shot a .460 Weatherby twice. The first time I just wanted to see if I could shoot it and the second time was to see if I could hit the target again.

This one sounds like a great candidate for a muzzle brake along with a good set of ear muffs and plugs.

@meigsbucks Very well said. I am of similar opinion. I think it would be a nice chambering on a heavier barrel profile, but this gun is about 9½# and that's a bit light for a No. 1 in the highest performance .458 bore...
It's a looker, but not a shooter.

I have shot a .460 Weatherby twice. The first time I just wanted to see if I could shoot it and the second time was to see if I could hit the target again.

This one sounds like a great candidate for a muzzle brake along with a good set of ear muffs and plugs.

I am old school and believe a rifle only needs two holes in the barrel, one at the chamber and one at the muzzle....I hate rifles that need brakes.....

No, the 460 certainly is not necessary as it would never see a hunt or rarely used. However, I've been on the #1 search in 458 Lott for so long, its come to well, why not? .. The #1 H's are imo, one of the finest looking & fitting firearm I've known. Highly regret not capitalizing on them through the decades. Bidding on one right now, we'll see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.