Ruger M77 Alaskan vs Guide Gun

IMG_7492.JPG
IMG_7493.JPG
IMG_7494.JPG
This is a McMillan in a Dark McWoody as they call it. M70, 375 H&H, barrel cut to 22".

That is good to here, but I know I wont be satisfied until I get the issue rectified. I got to figure out how to install a barrel band on a cold hammer barrel because my local gunsmith has no idea.

What issue is he having that a barrel band is a problem to install ?

It also has PT&G one piece stainless bottom metal, which is heavier than factory
Yes, I noticed the upgraded bottom metal. Very nice! I just wish Winchester had made those rifles with a lighter contour barrel. That rifle would be perfect at 8.5 lbs all up! Still nice either way!

The Alaskan version of the FN M70 has a slimmer contour, seems about right. I do not care for the MOA triggers. I prefer the original open style triggers.

The Alaskan version of the FN M70 has a slimmer contour, seems about right. I do not care for the MOA triggers. I prefer the original open style triggers.
Yes. But for some reason they chose to make them with 25" barrels! Talk about an "anti-Alaskan" rifle! Also they are hard to find in stainless. And yes, the old style trigger is the best.

IMG_7495.JPG
IMG_7496.JPG
The front sights bases are well attached.
Two 375 Ruger barrels that I had re-barrelled with after market barrels. The gunsmith "thought" he could remove and reuse the front sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_7496.JPG

An attempt was made only on the first. Which as you can see was not a success !!

I

Is it soldered?

What does Ruger say about removal? Sometimes it's a matter of high heat only on sight , not barrel. I split a Ruger barrel band and adjusted what I needed to make it fit. I can send pics tomorrow if you're interested.

What does Ruger say about removal? Sometimes it's a matter of high heat only on sight , not barrel. I split a Ruger barrel band and adjusted what I needed to make it fit. I can send pics tomorrow if you're interested.
I dont know what that means. Please send the picks and maybe I will understand

Question for reloaders
I was just at a store trying to buy some 416 Ruger ammo. They had some 350 gr by a company I had never heard of. They are a custom company and the name starts with "pro" Anyway, the box said 416 ruger but the headstamp said 416 ruger. Were they possibly 416 ruger loaded into 416 brass after trimming or some other technique. Or are they just in the wrong box?

Here's my Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger with a 23" barrel and my Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 with a 20" barrel. Love them both and left them just the way they came out of the box.
217.jpg
HPIM0810.jpg

I dont know what that means. Please send the picks and maybe I will understand

Don't know if Ruger front sight has a set screw . If not, use high acet. torch heat applied only to the sight not the barrel. May need a brass rid and hammer to tap it off while hot. Go too slow and the barrel will heat and swell within the sight. Will try to send pics of Ruger barrel band ($20 from Midway). This band came with a set screw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross