Ruger African 9.3x62 accuracy reports?

The light strike thing bothers me. I had one of the earlier first runs of this rifle and it had the same issue. I suspect some good handloads would tighten up your groups though.
Sestoppelman, what remedies did Ruger do for your rifle? PRVI was the only ammunition this occurred with, the spent primers on the brands of other cases appear normal. I took the firing pin assembly out of the bolt and it was loaded with black grease, so wiped the excess off, will look at this further for cleaning.
I agree with your comment on working up handloads. There's a good bit of info here on AH. Thanks for your comment.

I sent the rifle back to Ruger, they "repaired" it. But it still happened. I sold it. It shot well though. I recall good groups with Speer 270's with W760.

had to contend with a shooter in the next lane firing a AR pistol .
I know exactly what you mean. They are as bad as being next to someone shooting a full size hunting rifle with a brake on it. I hate being around them.

I am considering buying the Ruger African in 9.3x62 too. I don't think the lighter contour barrels mean much. Look at all the Husqvarna and Zastava's out there with sporter barrels. I am raising my eyebrow though with these somewhat "mediocre" accuracy reports. Any more experiences out there? Should I just buy a CZ 550 in .375 H&H?
I would recommend a CZ. Haven’t found a bullet it doesn’t shoot well yet. No Nosler 286 gr, Norma 232gr,and Nosler accubonds in 250 gr all shoot under an inch at 100 yards in my 550 FS. Even the Privi 286 cheap ammo groups 1 1/2”. I am growing very fond of this rifle. Kills everything I point it at and have not had to fire twice at any of them.

My CZ 550 shoots everything at 1" or less. One of my best rifles. I have a CZ in 7x64 as well and shoots everything except Rem 140 gr. factory.

WAB,
Beautiful rifle, but my wife would kill me. Two years ago there were plenty of CZ 550's in 9.3x62. Now they've all dried up.
Glad I got mine when I did. They have since quit making the 550 altogether. I fell into the donut hole as I got the FS and it had very nicely figured walnut stock to boot. Better lucky than good. I have learned if you see a gun you want buy it then as you never know how long it will be around.

some are living in the past, the red pad rugers of yesteryear were iffy on accuracy. The new Rugers are accurate as any other production rifle, all I have purchased from Libskys and Hollowell have shot under an inch but one and it wad an inch and a half at 100..I like the new Rugers..They now make their own barrels for what its worth.

True on the red pad rifles, though most I have had were good MOA shooters. As to the new Hawkeye rifles, they are hit and miss as well as evident from some of the reports here. I had one in 6.5 Swede which by all that's right, should have been an excellent sub MOA rifle, alas it was not after many rounds downrange, must wasted components and time and effort: floating, bedding trigger etc. It was no more than an honest 1.75 MOA shooter.
Yes, Ruger has been forging their own barrels for some time now and for the most part are good. I have actually had excellent shooting with the late model No.1's in most calibers.
I would probably still try one of the Hawkeye Africans in .275 if I could find one for something sensible in price, but like red pad guns, accuracy seems to be "iffy" with them as well.

True on the red pad rifles, though most I have had were good MOA shooters. As to the new Hawkeye rifles, they are hit and miss as well as evident from some of the reports here. I had one in 6.5 Swede which by all that's right, should have been an excellent sub MOA rifle, alas it was not after many rounds downrange, must wasted components and time and effort: floating, bedding trigger etc. It was no more than an honest 1.75 MOA shooter.
Yes, Ruger has been forging their own barrels for some time now and for the most part are good. I have actually had excellent shooting with the late model No.1's in most calibers.
I would probably still try one of the Hawkeye Africans in .275 if I could find one for something sensible in price, but like red pad guns, accuracy seems to be "iffy" with them as well.
From all reports I have read on the new Ruger American rifles accuracy has been MOA in most cases. I have a30-06 that is the most accurate rifle I own. It is was butt ugly with that black plastic stock. I had it hydro dipped in a burlwood pattern so I can tolerate it now. It is light, trigger is great, the rotary clips work great. Perhaps the African is an aberration. I have a red pat 77 RSI in 250-3000 that shoots MOA despite all the reports of shots walking as the barrel heats up. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet and every rifle is an entity unto itself. The only way to know how a rifle shoots is to get a bunch of different brands and bullets and go shoot it. I would not hesitate to buy another Ruger if it caught my fancy. We tend to paint with a broad brush sometimes to our detriment. Good hunting.

Im a dyed in the wool Ruger fan, the African model is the best thing since the pre 64 mod. 70s, and that is high praise indeed..not so a few years ago when the used Wilson barrels, but I even have on old red pad 30-06 with a custom stock that shoot pin hole groups, had it for 50 plus years, but many of those didn't shoot..Ive also had the fwts and the manlicher style Internationals and they shot exceptionally well...The Lipskys and Hollowells keep doubleing in price so I buy them and sell them a year later for twice or three times what I paid for them, my lasts a Ruger fwt #1A w/24" barrel..They are always different and only 250 produced not to ever be reproduced so they are a hell of and investment the those guns sell out in less than a week, so you have to jump when one comes up..

I picked up one of the 9.3 Rugers from Lipsey's first run. I think they did two orders of the 9.3's. Love it but, only had load for it. So far, it has only done range time as it's been bit of a "tweener" for my trips. If I'm culling, I've been taking either a 308 or 30-06. If I'm going with friends/clients and primarily doing back-up then it's been a 375 Ruger Alaskan or a Custom Win 70 in 450Marlin. I WILL be making plans to take on one of next year's trips for certain.

Took a couple of hundred rounds and a some polishing compound on a brass jag and patch to get the ruff and tight spots in the bore sorted out. I polished up the feed ramp (do this on EVERY bolt rifle) and a little fine steel wool on the side rails to just take the sharpness off the edges and now it feeds and function are very slick.

It does like TSX's, Banded Solids and Speer Gran Slams just fine and most will shoot just a little over 1 1/4-1/2 MOA. Still have to spend a little time on the trigger and that might reduce it 1/4 and that is most sufficient for a hunting rifle.

I do know it will be one of the LAST rifles my "widow" sells as even she likes it.:A Hi Five:

Im a dyed in the wool Ruger fan, the African model is the best thing since the pre 64 mod. 70s, and that is high praise indeed..not so a few years ago when the used Wilson barrels, but I even have on old red pad 30-06 with a custom stock that shoot pin hole groups, had it for 50 plus years, but many of those didn't shoot..Ive also had the fwts and the manlicher style Internationals and they shot exceptionally well...The Lipskys and Hollowells keep doubleing in price so I buy them and sell them a year later for twice or three times what I paid for them, my lasts a Ruger fwt #1A w/24" barrel..They are always different and only 250 produced not to ever be reproduced so they are a hell of and investment the those guns sell out in less than a week, so you have to jump when one comes up..
I have one of the african 275 rigbys, and I agree they are fine rifles. Mine was spotty accuracy wise at first, but handles beautifully, and extremely smooth. After about 200 rounds though it really tightened up now my 160 hot cor load and 145 grand slam load are well under an inch. The rifle handles great, and is one of my prized possessions.

I have an earlier Ruger African. It has a Circassian walnut stock, pretty shiny bluing and the 375 contour barrel. It is not marked Gunblast. I had one when they first came out, but needed cash and had to part with it. I had a Zastava M70, too.
I sighted this one in the other day. Because of health issues, it was the first day of shooting in over 18 months. At the end of getting it pretty close, I shot one three shot group. Light wind, good light and. I was shooting well. Some days my big goal is to just keep hitting the birm. Today I was shooting good.
Three shots, 100 yards from the bench.
I would say this one is pretty accurate.
I used Reloader 15 in my Whelens and then tried it in my previous 9.3, where it worked well, so I just loaded up a box.
I guess even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.
http://imgur.com/a/EZeBI4p

Bfly

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.21.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.21.56 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about others but your pic doesn't show for me. You can upload directly to your post here, its easy and skip the host sites.

...The Lipskys and Hollowells keep doubleing in price so I buy them and sell them a year later for twice or three times what I paid for them, my lasts a Ruger fwt #1A w/24" barrel..They are always different and only 250 produced not to ever be reproduced so they are a hell of and investment the those guns sell out in less than a week, so you have to jump when one comes up..

I’m not seeing these going for 2-3x the original price and they certainly do not all sell out in less than a week. I either want your buyers or what you are smoking...

tmac,
Sorry to hear that, guess your just unlucky or live in the wrong place..Try Guns INternational..

tmac,
Sorry to hear that, guess your just unlucky or live in the wrong place..Try Guns INternational..

Could be a little of both. I have looked at GI. There was a prior years Lipsey’s in 9.3x62, nib, for pretty much the original list price, plenty of 6.5x55’s nib, pretty much original list price. If you are buying them and then selling them for 2-3x what you paid, I’d be surprised. You’d be buying very very very low. Certainly they are not selling out in a week...

Sounding like tall tales or whiskey talk to me. As in all things, I may be wrong, but I can’t find any evidence of high sales prices for these guns. If there was, I’d probably sell my Ruger 9.3x62... You can have it for $2,100, twice what I paid, then resell it at 3x original value for $3,150. Be a tidy profit. It’s nib.

Mine really likes the 250 Barnes tipped triple shocks and the 286 Hornady interlocks. I’ve got each year’s rifle so far including the 280 Ackley which has been the most accurate so far. Honestly, I like the 9.3 x 62 best but all 4 are very accurate.

I have one from the first run and is has shot everything I have shot in it well. factory and handloads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross