Ruger #1 in big bore calibers

Muzzle brake on a Falling-Block rifle ????
Its against all rules of ethic my friend, get a smaller caliber instead if you think its "kicky"

i dont like muzzle breaks period... they are rude.

-matt

i dont like muzzle breaks period... they are rude.

-matt

They hurt my sissy ears right through the hearing protection.
None of my hunting companions have them for that exact same reason.

forget my ears, a compensator on a 300 win mag or larger with rattle yer teeth loose. the back pressure alone makes them uncomfortable to be around.

-matt

What is the largest well mannered cartridge chambered/chamberable in the No. 1? Anything north of the Lott that isn't absurd with it muzzle brake? Surely there is a limit to the barrel diameter that the frame can take.

I acquired this Ruger No. 1-H Tropical in 416 Rigby this year for my rifle for our husband and wife Cape Buffalo hunt. My wife will be hunting with our Ruger M77 Guide Gun in 375 Ruger that we shared on this years Namibian hunt. I wanted a big bore to back up my wife when she takes her Buffalo. The recoil is manageable and with a whole year to train with it I’m confident it will do fine for my Buffalo.

fullsizeoutput_6df.jpeg

As much as I like the No. 1 rifles, in the big calibers they kick like a mule, no fun much above .338 mag.

I acquired this Ruger No. 1-H Tropical in 416 Rigby this year for my rifle for our husband and wife Cape Buffalo hunt. My wife will be hunting with our Ruger M77 Guide Gun in 375 Ruger that we shared on this years Namibian hunt. I wanted a big bore to back up my wife when she takes her Buffalo. The recoil is manageable and with a whole year to train with it I’m confident it will do fine for my Buffalo.

View attachment 312700

What's the cartridge carrier on the side?

What's the cartridge carrier on the side?

Meet your new favorite hunting or shooting companion. The all new SideCart™ (for rifles) and SideShell™ (for shotguns) from Beartooth is a neoprene 2-round ammo carrier that attaches to the foregrip area of your firearm. Velcro closure ensures a tight fit and the ammo loops securely hold your desired rounds. Sleek, quality design and construction.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/collections/sidecart-sideshell

Review notes: New it's very tight on 375 and 416...needs to be for the heavy recoil. After extended use the cartridge loops loosen up. I'll replace with a new one prior to the hunt.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 3.02.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 3.02.10 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 135
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 3.02.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 3.02.13 PM.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 146
Nice little shell holder. I use a 10 round slip on holder on my buttstock and when loaded with 10 .458 win mag shells it gives my no.1 perfect balance.

Hope you like pain.:eek::eek::D

I love the Ruger No.1, just not in the big kickers. They hurt!:cry:

I love the Ruger No.1, just not in the big kickers. They hurt!:cry:
It's such a versatile caliber for a hand loader such as I. I have the option to use cheap .45-70 bullets and sling them around with trail boss for fun or turn the volume way up with a 550 Woodleigh. I have a .375 for distance and a .458 for absolution. Life is good. I'm just wishing I had never gotten an Encore in .300WM.

Love that with the stainless and walnut! Fine looking rifle!

I have one looks just like yours,, only in a more easily handled caliber.. the .257 Roberts!:D:D:whistle:

Love that with the stainless and walnut! Fine looking rifle!
Thank you sir! It is 1 of 13 in this configuration according to the ROCS.
I have one looks just like yours,, only in a more easily handled caliber.. the .257 Roberts!:D:D:whistle:
No, not like this one. Yours has a rifle barrel on it. Mine has what looks to be a heavy machine gun barrel on it.
IMG_20191212_123936.jpg

Left is the .375 H&H and right is the Lott. Aftermarket recoil pad on the .375 is the reason for the length variation in forends.

True, an obviously heavier and longer barrel.;) Otherwise, they look the same, walnut and SS.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg