Ruger #1-H Tropical - 405 Winchester

AZtwins

AH senior member
Reaction score
Almost new Ruger No.1H Tropical Rifle in 405 Win. 24" barrel, barrel band sling swivel, quarter rib. I am the second owner, purchased here (or possibly on 24CF). I fired it six times to verify function and never got around to mounting a scope so haven't shot it since. The only negative is a spot on the left side of the action - the previous owner told me that is was some sort of commemorative rifle and the medallion had been removed. I have no way of verifying that but there is not a mark or rust spot anywhere else on the rifle that would indicate that it had been neglected or anything else to cause rust so it sounded plausible. Obviously it doesn't affect function in any way. I considered getting the action cerakoted but since I intended it as a shooter, it wasn't a priority. The best part is that I have 8 boxes of 300gr Hornady ammo (minus the six rounds I fired, so 154 rounds) available to the buyer for $80/box, $600 for all- not selling ammo separately unless the buyer doesn't want it (highly unlikely). From what I can determine Ruger produced darn few of these. $1575 shipped in CONUS from my FFL to yours - possible partial trades include new prod. Anaconda 6 or 8", HK USP Elite 45, Sig P220 45 or 10mm, S&W 1006, or ?

405-R.jpg
405-top.jpg
405-muzzle.jpg
405-actionL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reminded that I did buy this rifle here a couple of years ago so I am the third owner. I changed the stock with another rifle as a gift to my father in law - something he would never allow himself. Probably should keep this but need to turn it into something my sons will put to better use.

Still open to possible trades.

Had one of those years ago, used it for an article in Gun World. The editor said 'see if you can duplicate the .450-400 loads with it.' I did.
Wish I still had it, but I already have a model 95 .405 and cant see having two .405's.

Not to derail, but does anyone know what the twist rate is in these Rugers? Can one use the aftermarket 400 grainers? Very nice rifle and classic cartridge, probably used by a famous hunter or two....:)..................glws......................FWB

Not to derail, but does anyone know what the twist rate is in these Rugers? Can one use the aftermarket 400 grainers? Very nice rifle and classic cartridge, probably used by a famous hunter or two....:)..................glws......................FWB
If forget the twist but it shoots 400 gr bullets just fine.

I've seen several references to 1:14. Craig Boddington (and/or his daughter) used 400gr bullets in a #1 405 to kill cape buffalo in Africa. Must work pretty well with 400 grainers. (y)

You guys are making this harder to sell....

I've seen several references to 1:14. Craig Boddington (and/or his daughter) used 400gr bullets in a #1 405 to kill cape buffalo in Africa. Must work pretty well with 400 grainers. (y)

You guys are making this harder to sell....
It will drive them to over 2100 fps. for over 4000 ft/lbs of ME. Perfectly capable as a DG rifle.

I’ve shot a .405 in a converted Enfield No. 1 Mk III with the standard twist rate (whatever Winchester used). We swaged down .416” Hornady 400 gr RNs to .411” and charged with Varget (I think)—it shot VERY well. I’m sure a single shot would easily duplicate or better that performance.

Barnes 300 gr Triple Shock is the best shooting bullet I have found for the Winchester 95's I have owned and that is several.
Combined with about 57 grs of Varget its the best load I have found for accuracy.

I have a 405 double rifle and a TC encore barrel in 405 or I would be all over this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob