Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

Honestly, I'd go 30-06.

Whilst it's obviously an unpopular opinion, I really don't get this .275 Rigby nonsense. Rigby didn't develop the round, didn't adopt it first, didn't have any involvement in the development of the rifles and actions used with it and so it's simply not a 'Rigby cartridge', it's the 7x57.

Rigby just borrowed it as a cheap and easy option to use standard bought in mauser actions (which they're also now doing for 30-06) and changed the name as a PR stunt. I'll concede they did get lucky in that some influential names picked it up for their adventures, and if you want to appreciate that history and connection then fine, but it hardly makes it any more 'in-house'.

You want a Rigby rifle in a 'medium bore' proprietary cartridge? Custom order a .303Brit (which J. Rigby himself was actually involved in developing) or a .350Rigby and do it properly.

I know this is irrelevant, but I wish Rigby made the HS in 375 H&H, with only a slightly heavier barrel, so bare gun weight would be around 7.5 lbs. That way, with scope and ammo, you'd still be under 9lbs. It seems most 375s are made far too big and heavy for the caliber. I know the 9.3x62 can do most of what a 375 can do. But, it just isn't quite as versatile on game both near and far.

I would go with either a .275 or a 9.3x62 in the highland stalker. Either caliber would do everything you want. Given that you have AHR CZ’s in 7x57 and .30-06, why not venture out a bit and go with the 9.3? I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

I was actually looking at the 9.3x62 today. I have an AHR# 3 CZ550 in 375 H&H so I was thinking the 9.3 might be a bit close but so are the 275 and 06. I am definitely looking at that now as an option. I appreciate the insight.

First off I can not afford a rigby rifle, but between those calibers i would choose the 275. I do have one of the ruger africans in 275, and I'm very attached to it.

I also cannot comfortably afford one bu
@jeanes ...I tend to agree with you. Where does practicality fit into buying a new .275 Rigby.

I agree practically it does not make sense for me to purchase one as I already own all the calibers in CZs. I guess its something over a couple decades of deploying and reading Jim Corbett book among others I always said I would purchase one. As others mentioned its a significant expense. I have been diligent in paying off all debt to this point so its either the rifle or the wife sneaks' in a new kitchen. I'm willing to take the ass chewing on this one I think.

I also cannot comfortably afford one bu

I agree practically it does not make sense for me to purchase one as I already own all the calibers in CZs. I guess its something over a couple decades of deploying and reading Jim Corbett book among others I always said I would purchase one. As others mentioned its a significant expense. I have been diligent in paying off all debt to this point so its either the rifle or the wife sneaks' in a new kitchen. I'm willing to take the ass chewing on this one I think.
Yep! Ass chewing it is then . The rigby sounds much better than a new kitchen anyways.

I am looking to purchase a rifle as a retirement gift to myself and have settled on a Rigby Highland Stalker. I have been looking at Rigby rifles since I was a child and now have the opportunity to purchase one. I am trying to decide between the 275 Rigby and the 30-06.

Background:
I currently own both of those calibers in CZ 550s with AHR # 2 upgrades so I am not looking to fill a gap. The rifle would get most use in the US as a whitetail and elk rifle with Africa every other year or so. I do reload so not super concerned with the availability of 7x57 / 275 factory ammunition.

I am torn between the .275 been the classic Rigby caliber against the versatility and practicality of the 30-06. Any thoughts from the group?
@roverandbrew
The 275 and Rigby go together like Apple pie and cream. As you are a reloader I would take the 7mm every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
275 Rigby = classic + versatile + practical. What more could you ask for.
Bob

I have the .275 Stalker and truly love it. If it isn't, you can certainly make the argument that it is the perfect whitetail rifle. It is not, in that caliber, the "perfect" elk rifle. On the other hand, with a 156 gr Oryx load you would be at very little practical disadvantage anywhere on the mountain. Next summer mine will be with me in Zambia hunting sable and lechwe with Mike @spike.t . I suppose a 180 gr bullet from an '06 would be better on paper - but not from a practical standpoint.

Another consideration is, as @WAB suggests, the 9.3. I fills a spot that you do not have covered and is every bit as classic a caliber as the .275. :Finger:
@Red Leg
The 9.3x62 in a obendorph Mauser yes but a Rigby in the same just ain't right. A bit like putting a Ford motor in a Chevy it just ain't the done thing
An 06 belongs in a Springfield not a Rigby as well.
The 375 screams Holland and Holland not savage, Remington or Winchester.
Call me strange but that's how I see it.

@Red Leg
The 9.3x62 in a obendorph Mauser yes but a Rigby in the same just ain't right. A bit like putting a Ford motor in a Chevy it just ain't the done thing
An 06 belongs in a Springfield not a Rigby as well.
The 375 screams Holland and Holland not savage, Remington or Winchester.
Call me strange but that's how I see it.

I certainly respect your opinion Bob, but don’t forget that the Rigby is a Mauser just as the originals were. The highland stalker has as many Mauser stampings as Rigby. It is a beautifully balanced rifle with plenty of punch and very mild recoil. I wouldn’t part with mine (my wife’s actually as you great friends seem glad to remind me).

On that note, she has claimed the Rigby and my custom M70 in 7x57. If this keeps up I’ll be hunting with a slingshot!

I'll swim against the 275 tide and say 30.06.

IF the 275 is regarded as being the longest running and "most classic" the 06 must surely be No. 2.

I see no problem with the 06, which is a world cartridge, if ever there was one, being chambered in a Rigby, or the very similar current Mauser 98. More versatility, availability, and horsepower. Only downside is a little more recoil, but those Rigbys are heavy suckers, and should soak it up well.

A minor niggle for me with the 275/7x57 in a current M98 is the unused mag length, but that has nothing to do with the classic or not debate.

Anything like 7RM or 300Win, would of course be defilement.
@Newby
303 British no1 been around the longest 1888. It was that good it made the transition from black powder to smokeless and just kept on trucking. The others didn't do that. The old 303 is a true classic.
7x57 no2 1893
30/06 no3 1906
The old 303 has probably killed more game than the others combined and still going strong .
I can hear the howls and anguish but that's life.
Bob

30-06 is more practical... but so is buying a Model 70.

If I were buying a Highland Stalker I’d get the 275. Maybe 9.3, maybe.

While some of the caliber suggestions are interesting, I believe that the only calibers the highland stalker is offered in are: .275 Rigby, .308, .30-06, 8x57 and 9.3x62. Rigby will make you a rifle in any caliber you like, but it will be a London Best if it is not one of their standard offerings for the highland stalker or big game. That takes you into an entirely different league of firearm and likely not what @roverandbrew is considering, unless that’s a heck of a kitchen his wife is considering.

A London best might be more of a neutering than an ass chewing!

While some of the caliber suggestions are interesting, I believe that the only calibers the highland stalker is offered in are: .275 Rigby, .308, .30-06, 8x57 and 9.3x62. Rigby will make you a rifle in any caliber you like, but it will be a London Best if it is not one of their standard offerings for the highland stalker or big game. That takes you into an entirely different league of firearm and likely not what @roverandbrew is considering, unless that’s a heck of a kitchen his wife is considering.

A London best might be more of a neutering than an ass chewing!

You are absolutely correct. I can claim poor Judgement on $9K. On $35K I would have to sell the rifle for a divorce lawyer.

I certainly respect your opinion Bob, but don’t forget that the Rigby is a Mauser just as the originals were. The highland stalker has as many Mauser stampings as Rigby. It is a beautifully balanced rifle with plenty of punch and very mild recoil. I wouldn’t part with mine (my wife’s actually as you great friends seem glad to remind me).

On that note, she has claimed the Rigby and my custom M70 in 7x57. If this keeps up I’ll be hunting with a slingshot!
@WAB
If'n my wife claimed 2 of my rifles I'd be extremely happy and share them with her gladly or buy another for myself.
Far better than having a wife that doesn't like guns or hunting.
Bob

That would indeed be a unique and rare Highland Stalker.
@Red Leg
If you want rare how bout an original Lee Speed with an octagonal barrel marked Rigby in 303 British and lightly engraved on top with a 3 leaf express sight. Buffalo horn forend and grip cap and exquisite walnut.
It was way above my pay grade
Bob

I’ve never seen a Rigby Lee Speed 303 - that would be pretty cool! As to the earlier post, I don’t think the 350 Rigby is a “Highland Stalker” - both of mine are on magnum Mauser actions - I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 350 Rigby on an intermediate action. The classic intermediate action Rigby is a 275 (with a few intermediate actions made into 416s, mostly post war). If you want a 30/06, there are countless choice. There is only one 275 Rigby, even if it’s a rebranded 7x57.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg