Rigby "Big Game" Model in 450 Rigby

I definitely think I can better it as well if I get a chance to shoot off a bench properly. Mind you shooting this thing off the sticks is pretty wild let alone shooting it off the bench haha So I think I'll go back to offhand shooting now, start getting some more real world practice in with it.
That group has shown that it’s accuracy is more than adequate and that she is zeroed.
I reckon that your 100 percent correct to concentrate on just shooting her off hand.

I have no wish to ever shoot my Lott off the bench ever again. I am sure my rifle can shoot better than I can but I avoid the bench. My rifles factory test target was about 1 MOA. Even with a lead sled, it was unpleasant to sight in. I am much happier offhand or off sticks.

I have no wish to ever shoot my Lott off the bench ever again. I am sure my rifle can shoot better than I can but I avoid the bench. My rifles factory test target was about 1 MOA. Even with a lead sled, it was unpleasant to sight in. I am much happier offhand or off sticks.
Shooting it off the bench makes you feel alive!

I get quite a few looks from other shooters shooting my Lott from the bench. :E Happy:
I have learned not to fight it and when it raises from the bag just to let it go and grip properly on the pistol grip.
Most I have shot like that from the bench was 22 shots.
I limit myself to 12 these days but like Aussie Hunter said you suddenly become alive and awake.

I get quite a few looks from other shooters shooting my Lott from the bench. :E Happy:
I have learned not to fight it and when it raises from the bag just to let it go and grip properly on the pistol grip.
Most I have shot like that from the bench was 22 shots.
I limit myself to 12 these days but like Aussie Hunter said you suddenly become alive and awake.
I love my 458 Lott! The 450 Rigby is growing on me as well. Not sure why but 458 calibre is definitely my favorite in the big cartridges.

Evening lads and ladies, so got my hands on the Rigby this afternoon. So far very impressed and happy with it. Will be straight to the range to chrono loads and then out in the field hunting on the weekend. First impressions
The open sights are really good, better than I expected, very quick target acquisition with the straight stock design.
The 14.5" LOP feels good.
Recoil pad is bloody hard but not as bad as what I have been hearing so might be ok for a working rifle, I'll do some shooting with it before I consider changing it.
Overall weight is good for a 450 also I like heavy rifles, Rigby advertise the rifle at 10.5lbs but my scales are saying right on 11lbs.
Balance is slightly barrel heavy but when shouldering the rifle I don't notice it.
Trigger pull feels really good, my guess is around the 3lb mark, a little lighter than I expected it to be also very crisp.
The action is what I expected very slick, the flag safety is very stiff with really good positive clicks but I would say with use this will free up a bit.
Fit and finish is exactly what I thought it would be, perfect.
The colour case hardening on the cross bolt and the grip cap plus the flame blue extractor claw is a nice touch.
Happy with the wood, it's not over the top, I think just right for a working rifle.
I'll post a range and hunting report in a few days.
The reason why your very nice rifle tips the scale at 11lb is probably because the stock is extremely dense grained. That`s exactly what you want on a hard recoiling rifle ready for decades of hard use.
Nice purchase.

New decelerator pad fitted with a big surface area, so much nicer to shoot now and I think the black pad actually looks better too.
1639774894343.jpeg

1639774936857.jpeg

When looking at group sizes remember this is a "big bore rifle with iron sights." Your posted target showing 1 &1/2 group off sticks isn't anything to be "ashamed" of and will certainly take any large critter I can think of. Please keep us posted on how future range sessions turn out.

When looking at group sizes remember this is a "big bore rifle with iron sights." Your posted target showing 1 &1/2 group off sticks isn't anything to be "ashamed" of and will certainly take any large critter I can think of. Please keep us posted on how future range sessions turn out.
I'm more than happy with 1.2-1.5" of shooting sticks at 65 yards. The only time I will shoot it off sticks again is if I'm working up a new load, like the 550 grain woodleighs I'm going to test today which will be the load I will use for buffalo next year.

I'm more than happy with 1.2-1.5" of shooting sticks at 65 yards. The only time I will shoot it off sticks again is if I'm working up a new load, like the 550 grain woodleighs I'm going to test today which will be the load I will use for buffalo next year.
Very nice rifle! as for front sight bead/post does any one use a fibre optic bead on a DG rifle? I am seriously thinking of getting a Rigby SSB in 416 but not traditional on a Rigby the fibre optic I like.....

I’ve got a Rigby SSB in 416 Rigby. I’ve also wondered about getting a red fibre optic front bead to try. And I’ll eventually get around to it….but the sights as supplied are very nice.

03A6E421-E632-4F08-813E-7ACD5EA3DD9F.jpeg
76968713-D48B-47B1-BE0E-6B71124ABBB1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice rifle! as for front sight bead/post does any one use a fibre optic bead on a DG rifle? I am seriously thinking of getting a Rigby SSB in 416 but not traditional on a Rigby the fibre optic I like.....
I wouldn't mind a fibre optic, especially during low light it would be really handy.

I am a big Rigby fan. My wife has a London Best in .275 and I have a Highland Stalker in 30-06. I love irons, but a scope is my primary sight. For me, the ability to use optics is a necessity for my aging eyes, especially during limited visibility. Both of our Rigby's have scopes in QD mounts with bolt peep sights as well as the classic express sights and 3 position flag safety. I often remove the scope on my Highland Stalker when stalking for deer or pigs. It is always very satisfying to stalk and kill an animal with the iron sights. I find the front bead to have more than enough precision for "minute of animal" at 100 yards or so.

My next Rigby will be a Big Game PH in 416 with the double bridge. Get what you want in your new Rigby. You will not regret it.
I have the Rigby 275. I recommend having the best of both worlds…double bridge for either or. Just my 2 cents.

@Aussie_Hunter she sure is a stunner and a shooter. Glad you got rid of the old silvers pad. I have no idea why they still use them!! Sure they look the part but they offer next to no cushioning. After the new pad have the group sizes shrunk?

@Aussie_Hunter she sure is a stunner and a shooter. Glad you got rid of the old silvers pad. I have no idea why they still use them!! Sure they look the part but they offer next to no cushioning. After the new pad have the group sizes shrunk?
Only shot one group off the sticks since changing the pad, everything else has been off hand. But yeah 2 shots at 50 yards, I'm real happy with that for an open sighted big bore.
1642665515952.jpeg

Had an awesome day at the range today, I received a new Rigby target with the rifle so I finally had a crack at putting 3 rounds onto the paper shooting it off the bench, well what I call my bench anyway which is just a shooting bag across the bonnet of my car. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out, managed a 0.8" group at 50m. Also managed to put 3 rounds offhand at 50m into a 2.7" group. Who said open sighted big bores aren't accurate!? I absolutely love this rifle now I am used to it.
1644644938731.jpeg

1644644842441.jpeg

1644644894363.jpeg

1644645085012.jpeg

Had an awesome day at the range today, I received a new Rigby target with the rifle so I finally had a crack at putting 3 rounds onto the paper shooting it off the bench, well what I call my bench anyway which is just a shooting bag across the bonnet of my car. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out, managed a 0.8" group at 50m. Also managed to put 3 rounds offhand at 50m into a 2.7" group. Who said open sighted big bores aren't accurate!? I absolutely love this rifle now I am used to it.
View attachment 452332
View attachment 452330
View attachment 452331
View attachment 452333
Nice shooting mate. (y)

all of the Rigby's that I've seen all shoot way better than their test targets.

I really enjoy shooting my Rigby's with the iron sights too ....

They are bloody beautiful rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!